Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2021, 14:20   #1

Boat: Contrast 33
Missing NOAA chart 531

Sometime in the last 2 years, NOAA's chart #531 has disappeared from their website and their ftp server. This is the 1:2,100,000 scale chart that covers the Gulf of Alaska from the Strait of Juan de Fuca to Kodiak Island. It still shows as a download option in iNavX, but returns an error when trying to download.

It's the only US chart that includes all of the inside passage of Vancouver Island at a usable planning scale, showing all of the various channels. Does anyone know what happened to it? Various vendors online still seem to carry paper versions of it, and I've found a png version here, but would love to have it in my navigation app.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 19:47   #2

Re: Missing NOAA chart 531

Available as a a pdf file here:
https://www.n-a-s-c-a.org/cable-maps...ns-west-coast/
ak_troller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 08:45   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

Canada Raster Chart 3000 covers JdeF to Dixon Entrance (i.e., the whole BC Inside Passage).

Of course, it is not free (but is included in the CHS raster chart packages for west coast)
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 12:34   #4

Boat: Contrast 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_troller View Post
Thanks, I already have a png of it, but was looking to have access in iNavX, where I used to have it, so that I can use it as a planning tool and be able to more easily judge how many nm each leg of a trip is. For straight runs it's easy enough on a paper chart or PDF to calculate, but when it involves lots of twisting passages, it's easier to do digitally.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 12:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peel View Post
Thanks, I already have a png of it, but was looking to have access in iNavX, where I used to have it, so that I can use it as a planning tool and be able to more easily judge how many nm each leg of a trip is. For straight runs it's easy enough on a paper chart or PDF to calculate, but when it involves lots of twisting passages, it's easier to do digitally.
Unfortunately, with NOAA discontinuing the publication of tiled, raster, and paper charts this one is just not available.

iNavX is transitioning to NOAA's new vector charts, but that's in development and still a couple of months away from go live.

Short term, the CHS charts may be a fix - specifically PAC01 Vancouver Island West. Or Navionics charts within iNavX, if you need them right now they do offer coverage of the area though you have to buy them.
iNavX is offline   Reply With Quote