Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2021, 10:20   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: How good a VHF watch do you maintain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
It boggles my mind that some people are either so ignorant, or so disdainful, of good seamanship that they would sail in a busy port area without the radio being listened to, and are proud enough of it they admit to it! They very much strike me as one of a kind with the big dumb kid in junior high who made fun of everybody with good grades (you all know the type…)

CH16 is always on. In some places (Southeast Florida for example) CH09 is used for bridge opening and traffic coordination on busy rivers so that is a must in those places. Sometimes it can get extremely crowded, but that does NOT mean you turn it off! In areas with a VTS that channel always has my ear.

Part of the issue that some people seem to have is that listening to radio traffic is a skill developed with practice. The volume can be turned down low, and a very small piece of your brain monitors it for “key words.” Things like your boat name, a distress call, an important Securite’. It doesn’t need to be blasting out at high volume.
When everyone wants to talk on channel 16, I always turn the VHF down or to channel 13 or 14.

Usually this is on the weekend when all the pleasure boaters are out wanting to be junior captains and play with their radios.

If you have enough experience, you know when you need a radio and when you don't.

I've owned maybe 12 boats, and this is the first one with a VHF radio or any instruments for that matter.

Beach cats are not required to have lights much less a VHF radio but sometimes during the yearly 100 mile RTI race out of Ft Walton Beach, FL we didn't always finish at dark and some boats were out all night with maybe a flashlight.

It's a worry when you can't tell the bearing of an approaching barge at night, he can't see you, and there is no wind (and of course you have no engine). So what you do is wait to determine the true bearing of the barge then have the crew lay on one of the hulls forward and paddle like crazy which can move a 300 lb beach cat along quite well.

Many of us started carrying green and red light sticks after having finished at 3 am a time or two.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 10:36   #32

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I always have ch 16 on dual watch and then monitor port control, QHM in Portsmouth or VTS in the Solent or the nearest CG frequency for weather warnings. Occasionally monitor 72 or 8 as club rally frequencies. I have a RAM4 mike in the cockpit and a separate cockpit speaker so I can hear the radio when up forward, as most of the time I'm single handed.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 10:52   #33

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
While sailing along the Atlantic coast of Europe, I am surprised at how many individuals use channel 16 for chatting.

Also, I thought using your handheld VHF ashore was not allowed by the FCC. Correct me if I am wrong.
I think it will usually help if you get into their conversation on 16 and say: this is coast radio station xxx, please move to private channel.

And yes, VHF is not allowed ashore but widely used by shore based parties to be in touch with sailing vessels. From vessels booking restaurant tables in Tonga to our disabled sailing club safety officer in Tel-Aviv contacting boats at sea.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 10:53   #34

Boat: Catalina 30

Our 1985 Catalina 30 has a B&G V50 VHF at the nav station, and two H50 wireless remotes, one of which is kept at the helm. When I am out, I use the dual monitor function for channels 9 and 16. I normally don't monitor when I'm at the slip or anchored.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 11:08   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
If you have enough experience, you know when you need a radio and when you don't.
Funny, the more experience I get, the more important the radio gets. But I guess REALLY good sailors are smarter than I am.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 11:16   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Also, I thought using your handheld VHF ashore was not allowed by the FCC. Correct me if I am wrong.
https://www.boatus.org/findings/36/
Quote:
As of September 2016, the FCC now permits the limited use of handheld VHF radios ashore to communicate with a vessel offshore. Use must be in (or near) areas of maritime and boating activity and within three miles of the water. Communications using such radios must relate to the operational and business needs of the associated vessel and must be limited to the minimal practicable transmission time. Use must follow standard VHF operations protocol. The FCC has reasoned this decision will encourage more boaters to carry a VHF radio. FCC 16-119, 80.115(a)(2).
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 11:21   #37

Rarely.

We only have one VHF, down in the cabin. If we are motoring, you can’t gear it over the diesel. Same if the wind is ripping. It’s old, no external speaker.

If the situation dictates, usually commercial traffic, I’ll turn it on and do my best to listen.

After I repair the boat, the next upgrade will be an AIS VHF with a remote mic at the helm. My old boat had a remote mic at the helm and we monitored it a LOT more.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 12:05   #38

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

I monitor CH16 when underway or in some anchorages, CH13 when in an area managed by the local signal station, CH10 in case of Navy operations, CH6, 8, 72 or 77 as arranged when sailing with other yachts (dual watch with 16). The radio is at the chart table. I have a secondary speaker without controls near the tiller.

Here in South Brittany, there is too much chatter on CH16 to keep the volume high. It's much quieter north of Penmarc'h.

I was glad to be monitoring CH16 the day I was challenged by an Irish Navy ship: I could answer all the questions without being boarded.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 12:21   #39

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

I always monitor 16, 09, 13, 22, 68 whenever I'm underway or at anchor.
Why, because if a local emergency comes up 16 will be the first radio used, the rest are just to monitor local traffic & chatter. If too much chatter I'll turn the volume down or remove that channel from the scan list.

When I got my current boat it had the vhf down in the cabin in the nav table area, totally useless, never understood why anyone would mount a vhf down there, can't be heard at all.
I first mounted it near the companion way hatch, good when sailing, poor when under motor, and hard to use when steering. At a modest expense I had it moved to the cockpit next to the helmsman's seat and a sun cover made for it. It's now easy to hear & use while maneuvering too.

The best place for it is to have it mounted as part of the instrument panel at the wheel, but this is a major project & probably only works for a new or major upgrade of the instrument displays.

While at anchor I always have it on and at night I turn up the volume so it can be heard down below. At night in big anchorages is when the theft happens & how do u tell your neighbor his dingy is being stolen? Or hi anchor is dragging?

Since I don't sail near big cities I don't get all the weekender chatter.

BTW, when I was in Jamaica I found that only the Pilot boats had vhf, the CG uses cell phones exclusively and most boats are not fitted with vhf currently.

Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 12:35   #40

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Funny, the more experience I get, the more important the radio gets. But I guess REALLY good sailors are smarter than I am.
It appears so......
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 12:58   #41

Boat: Tartan, 4600, 46'

Radio at helm is always on while underway and until raftup is complete.
We do switch to low power once we start close communications if at all possible. Unfortunately, we are in the minority and constantly hear calls to marinas that are on the other side of the Bay, when boats are asking for their slip assignments. They can't possibly need full power, right?
We monitor 16 and 13 predominantly.
In certain areas we will monitor 9 as well.
No need to monitor working channels unless they are dedicated to our cruising group.
JaaaPeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 13:26   #42

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I listen to 16 when the weather is up and at night when moving. I spent most of my life responding to 911 calls. I am on a vessel that has a top speed of 10 knots, almost every power vessel is quicker and more agile on a typical Saturday. When there’s small craft warnings and I am out, I listen. When I a making passage at night I am primarily watching and listening for other vessels, to make sure our paths do not cross at the same time or near it. Some people love to listen, I love the absence of listening.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 13:29   #43

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
I think it will usually help if you get into their conversation on 16 and say: this is coast radio station xxx, please move to private channel.

And yes, VHF is not allowed ashore but widely used by shore based parties to be in touch with sailing vessels. From vessels booking restaurant tables in Tonga to our disabled sailing club safety officer in Tel-Aviv contacting boats at sea.

I am aware that it is illegal do use a marine VHF ashore, but what about almost every marina in the world. Are marinas exempt from this law?

Al, S/V Finlandia
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 13:40   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
I am aware that it is illegal do use a marine VHF ashore, but what about almost every marina in the world. Are marinas exempt from this law?

Al, S/V Finlandia
See post 36. That covers the US. (I see you are in NC.) I have not look up the rules for other countries.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 13:48   #45

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
See post 36.
Post 36 deals with the use of handhelds ashore and it says that the change was recent. I was just wondering if Marinas in the U.S. had a special authorization to use 25 W transmitters at their locations.

Al, S/V Finlandia
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf