Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2018, 04:10   #16

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Heading north from Trinidad? What would you do?

You are not wrong I would probably have done exactly what you suggested

But the OP, in a less experienced situation, on a new boat, with the wife onboard, should probably take a more prudent approach.

That was mostly what I was suggesting
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 05:10   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
The so called 'Christmas Winds' don't blow for 3 months. Unless you have problems with the boat you should be able to be out of Trinidad before they arrive, and yes in general all the way up the island chain you can find sheltered anchorages.

If they really kick in you might have to wait a week or two somewhere. It is not so unpleasant, you will be on island time, a week is nothing...

The bigger islands are all interesting to explore ashore too, so don't forget that.

Make sure you have some good weather software. It is readily available these days.

The only aside I would add is that if you will have guests flying down, it does of course make sense to be somewhere easy and cheaper for them to fly to.
Thanks so much again.
I am starting feel a lot more confident now.
I think the grand plan will be to head out in November (weather dependant), hit Grenada and then island hop up. Again I have read that St Lucia to Martinique can be quite a trip also.
I want to be in the BVI’s for February and then hopefully gently cruise home (Trinidad) for June.

I was actually going to start a thread on weather gathering.
Finding out what the best ways of gatherings this information are. How do people go about getting the internet out there?
NickCreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 05:59   #18

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Yes, any of the hops that go across open water can be more demanding, weather dependant.

This is why people like the Grenadines because it it multiple small islands relatively close together and somewhat protected by the outer reefs. The Virgin Islands as well to an extent.

But again, most of the hops between the larger islands are not too far and can be done as a long day sail (and not every day, once a week? once every 2 weeks? once per month?), and roughly only half the distance is in the open sea, the other half being in the lee of each island.

To be honest the most annoying passage I remember was going from the Virgin Islands east towards St Martin and/or Antigua. It's almost always up wind. If you are lucky you can lay it in one tack depending on the time of the year. Some people motorsail to be sure of that.

But hey it is a small price to pay once and a while, and still much less far than what you originally contemplated from Trinidad to Puerto Rico (what, 500nm?).

That is the joy (mostly) of the eastern caribbean. Short passages.

Old 15-08-2018, 07:07   #19

Here is another thread that popped up today which is probably of general interest to you:

Is it possible to sail entire Caribbean with no night sailing? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

And it is interesting that most comments there reiterate very similar thoughts to what I posted here too, about night passages, arriving with daylight, etc, etc.
Old 15-08-2018, 07:13   #20

Island hop. Especially with her being inexperienced. That will work out much better and be more fun too!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 08:25   #21

Donald Streets cruising guides to the Caribbean will give you all the information for cruising the islands - including where to find a good cold beer. I used them for many years and there is a lot of good advice on making short day sails. For example heading north from Greneda you can anchor for the night at Ile de Ronde, rolly yes, but it avoids a possible overnight passage. Same with heading north to St.Lucia , which can be pretty close to the wind making for pretty wet sailing. Ease the sheets and once under the lee of land motor in.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 09:07   #22

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Heading north from Trinidad? What would you do?

I have been in the Carib going on 6 years now, presently in St Croix. I have Island hopped from BVI to St Martin and down to Grenada. Then back up to Guadeloupe across to Bonaire, Curacao and then to St Croix. With the exception of one overnighter from Virgin Gorda to St Martin, all the way to
Grenada was 5-10 hour crossings between islands. The Guadeloupe to Bonaire was 4 daylight and 3 night crossing. The Bonaire to St Croix was 4 daylight 4 night crossing. From Grenada you sail to Cariacou, then the Grenadines, Bequia, avoid St Vincent if you can and head to St Lucia where you can spend the night in Marigot Bay the safest anchorage I think. Then Martinique, Dominica, The Saints, Guadeloupe, Antigua, Nevis, St Kits, St Barts, St Martin, and a down wind reach to BVI. FYI
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 09:24   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 2012 509, 50.5 ft

Here's what I did in 2015. Sail North East to Tobago, spend a night in its easternmost sheltered harbor (about 50' depth as I recall) then lay a starboard tack for Barbados. Should take you 16-20 hours to make Barbados. After a delightful stay there anchored off the South West Beach beach (make sure you visit the xtraordinary fish market behind the cruise ship docks) head NorthWest for Martinique. Then Sint Maarten, then BVI. You are in Hurricaine Season now. If you can delay, commence your trip after December 1st. I'm currently off of North West Spain in Galicia. Saw 39 knot gusts today and reached a top speed of 11.6 knots dead down wind with a full Genoa only. Happy Sailing!
aucoingc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 09:51   #24

Boat: Cascade 36

Just a tip that will help a lot on the inter island hops, particularly when heading North.
When you reach the north end of an island go around the top and as far to the East as you can put up with before bearing away towards the next island. The current from East to West and the leeway from the Tradewinds can ruin your day if you think you can make it on the one tack.
I learned the hard way on my first trip from Grenada to Carriacou.
TTranscendence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 11:17   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCreak View Post
Dear all,
I have just bought a boat in Trinidad and want to get up to the BVI’s for some easy sailing. My wife is an inexperienced sailor and I want to make this as easy on her as possible. We will be in Trinidad from October and don’t have to be back in England until August (although appreciate the Hurricane season)
Since so many boats are based in Trinidad, I’m assuming this is a common route.

I have been told that I need to head West to Bonaire and further before heading north to Puerto Rico as the sailing is hard going north?

this seems like to long a journey to put my wife through straight off the bat.
I am after advice.

What would you do?
When would you go?
I certainly would not sail west to Bonaire before heading north. Trinidad is in the trade winds belt so the winds will be from NE to SE 99% of the time. Any distance you sail to the west will put you farther downwind and make any destination in any direction except west more upwind.

Daysails up the chain of islands north from Trinidad are generally easy if you can wait for a day of moderate winds. You might have to get an early start to make some destinations before dark but that shouldn't be a problem.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 12:58   #26

Boat: Camano 31, Troll

Another option is to daysail from Trinidad up to Tobago, spend a couple of days enjoying the great harbors and beauty of this island, then head up to Grenada. This will knock another couple of hours off the overnight or long day trip to Grenada.
sailduggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 04:45   #27

Boat: Adams 40

jmh2002 has given you good advice so I'll try not to repeat what he has said. Be aware of hurricane season which is "officially " from 1 July to 30 November but seasons don't follow a calendar, so be aware. From Trinidad you could go directly to Granada which is still considered "safe" from tropical storms ( until one happens ) or deviate a little east to Tobago. Stay well clear of Venezuela as piracy has occurred there. We left Trinidad at night with lights out until the high speed ferry from Tobago came bearing down on us. Once past Grenada the distances between islands are not great so mostly can be done in day hops, so a little wind on the nose can be tolerated. When you get to the Leeward Islands you can ease sheets. Go for it, but as stated be careful until well away from Venezuela. Good luck. If really worried get your wife to fly or ferry to Grenada and take crew, but it's really not far.
Dave Isom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 10:04   #28

@NickCreak

Here is another new thread today with good current info for you: Grenada St Vincent & Grenadines itinerary advice - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 16-08-2018, 11:08   #29

Thank you.
I'll have a look
NickCreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 06:27   #30

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

I did not see much information about the actual passage from Trini to Grenada. This is what I used / did when doing that passage in 17 and 18.

I do not know who advised you to go to Bonaire then to PR but that would be about the last route I would take. The passage north from Trini is a bit of a pain, but very doable. Here are my suggested things to consider.

There are some weather and security issues to think about. Weather wise you should not encounter Christmas Winds in November or early December. There are lots or good wx sources so picking a window is pretty easy. There is a lot of current going from east to west so you need to allow for it.

On the security side, there have been some incidents of piracy/robbery in past. I don't know if there has been anything recently but last I know of was 3-4 years ago. The officials in Trini are aware of this and have set up a couple of things to help.

Here is my experience / recommendations. It is well worth getting to Grenada and north and I'm sure your wife will love it.

1. File a float plan with the Trini Coast Guard (and don't forget to close it upon arrival). This is best done online and the marinas and customs can give you the link. The CG has a very powerful transmitter high on the island and has VHF comms almost the entire way to Grenada (they have SSB also). They will set up a check in schedule if you want, but they will not ask for a position report unless there is an issue. Bad guys also have GPS so why help them out. If you have SSB even better as the bad guys probably won't be able to listen in to your communications.

2. If you want to shorten the passaage consider anchoring half way up the north side of Trini. This will break up the trip. Even if you don't do that consider motoring up the island to get some easting in before heading across.

3. I set a waypoint 10 miles east of the oil islands which are on the rhumbline. I was told that any bad guys use the oil islands as a hangout point. 10 miles would put you out of sight.

4. We departed Trini around sunset so that we would be travelling at night. We also ran dark with no running lights or AIS transmission. Did have AIS receiving on so we could avoid any shipping traffic. There happened to be a full moon so we actually had good visibility for other traffic. I don't think I have every run dark at night before but felt it was prudent in this case.

Be aware that going either way between Trini and Grenada is pretty much on the wind because of the current. Bit of a pain but very doable, and cruising up the islands to the BVI's is well worth a little pain getting to Grenada. From then on it can all be all daysails except probably the run from St Martin to BVI's. One of the posters mentioned not trying to come into a new anchorage too early or late in the day. This is good advice. There are several where the anchorages are wide open and would be OK to do in the dark, but the majority don't fall in this catagory.

I'm sure you'll do fine. Have a great season.

Bill

Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head