Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2024, 09:10   #1

Boat: 2018 Jeanneau 419
Gulf Stream, Northern winds and Bahamas

If I totally understand what happens with North winds on the Gulf Stream I am however not so clear on their impact inside the Abacos in the Bahamas.
Where does their “threat” end?
We had a terrible crossing experience and northern banks, north of Memory Rocks, were a total mess and became unsailable
We’re in Green Turtle Cay now and wondering if we have to watch avoid those northerly winds as well.
Actually are any winds to avoid once inside the Abbacos?

Thx all
Xavierp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 09:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Gulf Stream, Northern winds and Bahamas

The north winds blowing against the northerly flowing Gulf Stream will set up some steep waves. Not completely unsailable, but a tad wet.

On the banks, a north wind tends to set up a short steep chop on those shallow waters, usually only 2', maybe 3' high.

Let's classify "north winds"...it if it's blowing 25 knots and higher, yes, will likely be rough, but 15 knots is quite doable.

I've crossed both banks and GS in north winds, and it wasn't too bad coming from the Abaco side, as your route will be mostly parallel to the waves. Quite comfortable.

Everyone wants smooth seas for that trip, but that is not going to happen.

This time of the year, it is quite common to get northerly winds as a front rolls thru.

The Abaco's are well protected from most any wind direction, but northerly winds typically cause more boisterous seas. Nothing serious, but boisterous.

I've done that crossing at least 50 times. Only once did I experience 0-5 knots of wind, which means a lot of motoring.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 11:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I've crossed both banks and GS in north winds, and it wasn't too bad coming from the Abaco side, as your route will be mostly parallel to the waves. Quite comfortable.
thx for the info.

How could north wind and GS be comfortable since the waves are all over the directions?
Old 11-04-2024, 11:58   #4
Marine Service Provider

The GS flows from south to north, so the wave pattern, in a norther, is more les perpendicular to this flow.
Near the coast of Florida and the Abaco bank, there are usually eddies and swirls which can cause " confused" sea conditions..

If you have access to the internet, go to " Mike's weather page " Here you will find dozens of graphs, sat photo's, etc, of the Gulf Stream location, meanders, eddies and a variety of other pertinent weather data, wave heights and many other's.

A word of caution here. You can get swept up perusing weather data and end up never going anywhere waiting for the "perfect" weather window.

The weather changes all the time, so does the GS and winds. Just find a slot in there that suits your needs and go.
This time of the year, you are unlikely to encounter any rough weather. as it is almost summer time.

From Green Turtle to Florida is about a 2 day trip so plan accordingly. The weather you'll get today is unlikely to be the same tomorrow in another location.

It sounds like you headed for the B'mas during winter time. That's when unseasonable weather is most likely to occur, but we are now into April, which will be quite different.

At the end of the day, you, as the skipper, need to make your own call. Just giving you my 2c on the matter.
Old 11-04-2024, 12:49   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
We’re in Green Turtle Cay now and wondering if we have to watch avoid those northerly winds as well.
Actually are any winds to avoid once inside the Abbacos?
The main thing about strong northers in the Abacos is the possibility of a "Rage" in Whale Cay Cut or one of the others. These are outright dangerous--not just uncomfortable. We were there when a cat was capsized and the mail boat was rolled over in Whale Cay. Sometimes even the cut at Little Harbour is impassable in a strong northeaster. We were there one time when the waves were breaking right across the sound and nobody could leave the inner harbor.
Old 11-04-2024, 13:03   #6
Marine Service Provider

Back in the day...my day that is....crossed many times without the benefit of internet, GPS, etc, etc.
Did have to "wait for weather" a few times, when a strong norther was blowing, but generally this was Nov-Feb period. Come April, things are much different.
Old 11-04-2024, 14:22   #7

Quote:
Just giving you my 2c on the matter.
accumulating as many "2 cts" I can to make me more knowleadgable1

thx for your input
Old 11-04-2024, 14:23   #8

Quote:
Back in the day...my day that is....crossed many times without the benefit of internet, GPS, etc, etc.
Did have to "wait for weather" a few times, when a strong norther was blowing, but generally this was Nov-Feb period. Come April, things are much different.
this goes along with someone else's reply rightly saying that with so many modern tools at our disposal, we end up never leaving the marina!!!!
Old 11-04-2024, 14:49   #9
Marine Service Provider

Many yachties travel in groups, so you get "group think" reluctance to leave the dock or anchorage. I've seen it countless times and wonder why these people actually own a sailboat.
Communicating here on this forum is just another arm of " group think" so be mindful of that.
If your boat is ship-shape and you have even a modicum of sailing experience you'll do just fine.
At worst it is a two day trip, of which 12 hours might be knarly and you'll take some spray over the bow, but that is sailing for you, it's a wet environment
Old 12-04-2024, 06:05   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
The main thing about strong northers in the Abacos is the possibility of a "Rage" in Whale Cay Cut or one of the others. These are outright dangerous--not just uncomfortable...
Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 06:29   #11

More advice, echoing a lot of what you are hearing here from the people with more experience.

Gulf Stream Phobia

Remember that the generic forecasts put out there by the weather gurus are being prepared for the least experienced sailors, on the least capable boats.

My simple summary is do NOT listen to any of the group think about this. On a day when you are having a hard time deciding if you can go or not: GO! If it gets too lumpy for your taste, turn around!

We have been crossing and sailing in the Gulf Stream 4 to 6 times a year for a decade. It should not generate the level of sailing angst that it does. Respect, yes. But much is just paranoia.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 06:38   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
... My simple summary is do NOT listen to any of the group think about this. On a day when you are having a hard time deciding if you can go or not: GO! If it gets too lumpy for your taste, turn around! ...
As one of our group wrote, expressing some good thinking:
"... Always be aware that sailboats travel at the whim of the weather. We can tell you WHEN we can meet you, or WHERE we can meet you, but it might not always be possible to give an exact time AND place with certainty ..."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 09:04   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Gulf Stream, Northern winds and Bahamas

I have crossed the Stream from Florida to the top off the Bahamas a few times with deliveries to Europe.
My practice is to wait for the N'lies to swing Eastwards then the winds go SE to S to SW over the next three days before swing North again.
This gives me an easy crossing and boost N if leaving from say Ft Lauderdale/Miami and then over the top of The Banks and a couple of hundred nm before a N'ly which I can ride E..
The cycle happens every 10 days or so.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"I am not less life-loving than you are.
But I cannot sell my birthright, nor am I prepared to sell the birthright of the people to be free." Mandela.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 14:45   #14

Quote:
If your boat is ship-shape and you have even a modicum of sailing experience you'll do just fine.
At worst it is a two day trip, of which 12 hours might be knarly and you'll take some spray over the bow, but that is sailing for you, it's a wet environment
thx for the help

Tags
Bahamas, gulf stream, wind