Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2019, 10:03   #16

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Garmin inReach

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
We have the inReach explorer too (it may be +, cannot recall). I use it only for offshore passages, during which time I pay for unlimited text. We use it for weather routing (fastseas and the admiral) and communicating with family.

It may cost a few bucks, I've found that if I don't, my wife treats her with anxiety with retail therapy which is much more expensive.

The device is useless for navigation.
=============================================
curious as to what routing services you use?
thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 10:18   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
============================
how do you get Parker's ?
I thought the in Reach could not receive his emails
thanks
If you have an account with Chris he will send it to you in a series of messages. Use it all the time on long deliveries.

Read fastseas.com website. They can send you updates also.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 10:21   #18

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
=============================================
curious as to what routing services you use?
thanks
1. Fastseas
2. My wife

Not necessarily in that order.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 10:28   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
=========================================
have an Android tablet will like to pair and be able to write my texting
How do I do that,am sure can manage to bluetooth pair both,but then?
thanks
David
Download EarhMate from PlayStore. This is Garmin's app for the InReach.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 10:30   #20

Quote:
thanks
InReach cannot receive email. Text messages only. Its tedious to send weather/routing via text, but it can be done. Chris Parker will do it, but its not the prefered method.
Old 18-08-2019, 10:39   #21

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
InReach cannot receive email. Text messages only. Its tedious to send weather/routing via text, but it can be done. Chris Parker will do it, but its not the prefered method.
I find the fastseas format, although terse, quite useful. Based on the instructions I gave their routing algorithm before I left about sailing performance, max wind desired, etc., it routes from my present position to a destination giving waypoints along the way every N hours with the expected wind strength, gusts and wind direction.

I have corresponded with the developer and suggested the algorithm be modified to look at the sailing performance history to update the model, but as far as I know that hasn't been done yet. The only thing I might want to add is waveheight and precipitation probability, but neither of those is critical.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 11:03   #22

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
thanks
You can sign up for individual weather forecasts from him, and he will text it to you on the inReach. We paid $250 for 10 forecasts. We let him know when we are leaving and then each morning text our position, the conditions, our plan, etc. In the afternoon he’ll text a specific forecast, using as many texts as necessary (generally 6 or so, but it only counted as one forecast against the ten).

It worked great for us - we used it for two separate jumps up the East Coast last spring when we were going to be out of cell phone range.
Cthoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 11:12   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

We’ve had our inReach for many years now. It’s been a great, and relatively inexpensive way to track our movements (for family and friends), and to stay connected via SMS. The SOS function I view rather dubiously, but in the end I would certainly use it if I had to.

Interesting to learn about Chris Parker’s use of it. Thanks Cthoops . Curious if anyone makes use of the various inReach weather forecasts. They have three levels now, including a marine forecast. The two fancier ones cost extra to access, but are still pretty cheap. I have used them very occasionally, and they were OK, but great when they were the only source I could get.

BTW, our inReach has just developed a problem with its GPS. It keeps losing the connection. A factory reset has been required to fix it. Not sure what has caused this. Our unit is now kinda old for technology (5+ years).
Old 18-08-2019, 13:20   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
We’ve had our inReach for many years now. It’s been a great, and relatively inexpensive way to track our movements (for family and friends), and to stay connected via SMS. The SOS function I view rather dubiously, but in the end I would certainly use it if I had to.

Interesting to learn about Chris Parker’s use of it. Thanks Cthoops . Curious if anyone makes use of the various inReach weather forecasts. They have three levels now, including a marine forecast. The two fancier ones cost extra to access, but are still pretty cheap. I have used them very occasionally, and they were OK, but great when they were the only source I could get.

BTW, our inReach has just developed a problem with its GPS. It keeps losing the connection. A factory reset has been required to fix it. Not sure what has caused this. Our unit is now kinda old for technology (5+ years).

Mike

Don’t get me started on inReach weather.... Tortola to Exuma owner-assisted delivery. I got their forecast- 4-6’ seas. Later that day we were in 10+ seas and an extra 10+ knots of wind. On the transatlantic I just finished, I used them as a second opinion to Parker (never put all your eggs in one basket). Mid-Ocean I was getting error of no forecast available. It gets worse/funnier.

I used the inReach to message the weather forecast team. They send me back a message that I need to contact Garmin. I use the inReach to message Garmin. A few days later we got to Santa Maria, Azores and cell coverage. Garmin has EMAILED ME to say they were having a problem and that I should call them.

Needless to say- not a big fan of their weather

You should know how to do a “hard reset” there are a few models so google yours and save it one your phone.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 14:13   #25

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

So far I've used my Garmin Explorer with good results while hiking, kayaking, and skiing.
I plan to use it next for texting along Canada's PNW Coast...
Old 18-08-2019, 14:32   #26

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We use the InReach Mini tethered to a mobile phone with the Earthmate app. We are quite happy with it. We have our service turned off now since the boat is in hurricane storage. We'll turn the service back on when we splash her in October.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 15:18   #27

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

====================================
not sure what to tell you.since left Cape Cod for Nova Scotia been paying for their more expensive marine forecast,do not believe they got it right more than 30 % of the times.!!!!
We all know about "forecasting" but next leg to Bermuda plan to buy/rent an Iridium Go
This was my experience, not to prejudge their whort
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 16:11   #28

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur, 33’

Mmm... Taking advice from all of you, I signed into Fastseas and did a route from Portland, Maine to the Chesapeake. Interesting that they routed me around the Cape Cod Canal and crossing the Gulf Stream twice. Maybe I have a lot to learn?
Whosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 18:06   #29

Havent used FastSeas, other than to play w it a little, but typically weather routing algorithms avoid land masses. Ive never encountered one that would route you down a canal/channel.
Old 18-08-2019, 18:18   #30

Boat: a sailing boat

We have one and is an OK device. It is worth the price (we paid 400 bucks online).

The weather function is lame. I do not know where they take the data from but for us it was way off most of the return passage last time (wind directions were different by two points most of the time).

Other than the wx soft spot I can recommend.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
communications, garmin, navigation