Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2019, 10:45   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur, 33’
Garmin inReach

Although I may have missed it, I am not seeing discussion about the Explorer + or the new 66i. I would love to know what works and what does not.

We are in our 70’s now and it might be a great way to communicate with our families while offshore. Also, they have an SOS feature which could let me do away with putting a new battery in my 409.

Is navigation viable or is it best to use something else beside paper charts?
Whosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 11:21   #2

Boat: Bristol 29.9
Re: Garmin inReach

We have an inReach and have been pleased with it. Our friends and family like being able to see where we are, and it was great for getting Chris Parker weather forecasts when we made multi-day hops offshore (we do not have an SSB).

I’ve never used it for navigation. The screen is far too small for me, so I never purchased the charts for it.
Old 15-08-2019, 11:26   #3

Thank you. I think it pairs with an iPad also,
Old 15-08-2019, 11:28   #4

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

We have the inReach Explorer + and use it whenever we go offshore. I enjoy the ability to send SMS messages to those that are interested in my journeys and to send updates to our boats Facebook Page. It connects to my phone via bluetooth so I can use the phone to send and receive the messages and updates. It also allows me to set a track for my passages that is sent to a webpage you can share with those that want to follow your progress.. As for the SOS although I haven't used it yet, I do like that I can send the SOS and then will receive a request to explain what the nature of the distress is, so that the right agencies are engaged.

As for Navigation, I wouldn't try to use it for that. I would stick with a Chartplotter, paper charts, or both.

I also like that I can turn off and on my subscription so if I am not using it I am not wasting money paying for it.

Hope this helps.
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 11:40   #5

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

We have the inReach explorer too (it may be +, cannot recall). I use it only for offshore passages, during which time I pay for unlimited text. We use it for weather routing (fastseas and the admiral) and communicating with family.

It may cost a few bucks, I've found that if I don't, my wife treats her with anxiety with retail therapy which is much more expensive.

The device is useless for navigation.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 12:39   #6

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosails View Post
Thank you. I think it pairs with an iPad also,
Yes, you can pair it with an iPad or iPhone using the app. That’s what I usually do.
Old 15-08-2019, 12:49   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
Yes, you can pair it with an iPad or iPhone using the app. That’s what I usually do.
Yes, and paired with a phone/tablet is a much better interface for messaging or viewing charts/maps.

Without that the display is so small as to not be very practical. Also the selection of nautical charts is very limited...as I recall its only NOAA charts (OK if only in the USA) For these reasons I decided not to upgrade from my old Delorme InReach...the newer Garmin InReach functionality just isnt that...functional.

So to answer the OPs question: InReach is not very useful for Nav except as an emergency backup, but it is awesome for global messaging. You can get limited weather on it too, but its just a spot (single point) forecast with very basic data.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 13:00   #8

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
... You can get limited weather on it too, but its just a spot (single point) forecast with very basic data.
Couple with fastseas for prediction along your route.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 13:24   #9

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

We have the Explorer+ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
It doesn't do internet. But texting, emergency communication, usable for hiking, would grab on the way off the boat for sure if it was an emergency. Pairing to a phone is great for texting in your natural habitat.
Weather capabilities: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...rt8cg21ARUw0N8 We got it for $379 last year.

Must separate Explorer from the internet inReach.

Pricing plans are very reasonable.
Old 15-08-2019, 17:56   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
We have the Explorer+ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
It doesn't do internet. But texting, emergency communication, usable for hiking, would grab on the way off the boat for sure if it was an emergency. Pairing to a phone is great for texting in your natural habitat.
Weather capabilities: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...rt8cg21ARUw0N8 We got it for $379 last year.

Must separate Explorer from the internet inReach.

Pricing plans are very reasonable.
Definately one of the pro's of InReach vs most other gear for the boat is that it can be used for many other activities. I take mine hiking, camping, biking, 4WD'ing, kayaking...even on an easy day hike or day sail you could have an accident...so why not.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 18:55   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I have an inReach and use it my deliveries. GREAT tool for tracking and texting.

But please do not use it to replace your EPIRB. It is not intended for that, I am 99% sure there is even a disclaimer for that. As I ask my customers “Is your life worth $300/year?”

Get both, you can text, and even Facebook post from almost anywhere with the inReach. I hope you never need the EPIRB. But if you do, it is the right alert tool.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 19:36   #12

Boat: Catalina 36

I use my Delorme InReach mini to keep my better half informed about my solo cruising. So fat I haven’t been out of cell for too long, but hope to do round Vancouver Island where much is outside of cell and AIS shore stations.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 09:46   #13

Thank you all for the information.
Old 18-08-2019, 10:00   #14

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
=========================================
have an Android tablet will like to pair and be able to write my texting
How do I do that,am sure can manage to bluetooth pair both,but then?
thanks
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 10:02   #15

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
We have an inReach and have been pleased with it. Our friends and family like being able to see where we are, and it was great for getting Chris Parker weather forecasts when we made multi-day hops offshore (we do not have an SSB).

I’ve never used it for navigation. The screen is far too small for me, so I never purchased the charts for it.
============================
how do you get Parker's ?
I thought the in Reach could not receive his emails
thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
communications, garmin, navigation