Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 19:30   #1

Boat: Jarkan 34
Fiji cut in half.....34XG charts, be wary!

I've been using Navionics Gold charts on my iPad running the iNavX app with Charts downloaded from Fugawi X-Traverse for about a year now and have been reasonably happy with it. Come yesterday and I downloaded the new charts I'd need for my next voyage (South Pacific) only to find that Fiji is cut neatly in two. As I paid good money to have these charts I was a little incensed to find this most inconvenient bug and so I wrote to X-Traverse for an explanation.
Here is their reply......

Hello Colin

In our 34XG product description page at

https://x-traverse.com/product/TD-NAV-34XG-IP-2011

... we do mention issues along these lines, just above the FAQs and below the "How do I get started?" section. We state:

SPECIAL USAGE NOTES for 34XG charts: iNavX presents some chart regions such as Fiji into two segments that cannot be smoothly panned through from east to west. Additionally, between 179 and 180 degrees longitude, depth soundings may be excluded from the chart graphics. These and related issues will be addressed in the future.

What is happening, on a more technical level, is that there is an old graphics engine for Navionics vector charts that iNavX relies on, and that old engine has some known issues & limitations like the ones you've seen so far. So the chart itself is fine, and the overall coding of iNavX is fine (ie. if there was a raster chart of Fiji for display, iNavX would show it all together as one easily panned-through image); it is only the specialized licensed graphical engine for the vector charts that has a problem around the 180 longitude line. On my X-Traverse end of things, I have no fix for this (because I merely sell the charts and help with downloading them -- and the charts themselves are actually okay when viewed in softare using the newest graphical engine on Windows computers).

The bottomline is that, for the forseeable future, you will need to continue working around the peculiarity you've encountered. I hope in the future that the newer Navionics graphics engine can be deployed in the iOS environment and that would presumably solve the issues at hand. If this current sitation is no good for you, I can ask our Sales Manager to refund the 34XG for iPad purchase and I'll remove it from your account.
.................................................. ....................................

Not happy, but what else can I do (other than buy a Window$ machine... which I am not going to do).

Anybody else come up against this issue?
Longtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 20:10   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Fiji cut in half.....34XG charts, be wary!

Similar problem for Fiji at 180° with Navionics Asia&Africa HD on Android tablets.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 20:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Similar problem for Fiji at 180° with Navionics Asia&Africa HD on Android tablets.
Now that is surprising considering X-Traverse is saying that its an iDevice only bug due to its graphic engine licensing.... ??
Old 06-12-2013, 00:06   #4

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
You will just have to skip Fiji and go straight thru to Vanuatu or New Caledonia!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 00:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
You will just have to skip Fiji and go straight thru to Vanuatu or New Caledonia!
Not helpful!! Seeing the chart end like that is disturbing...like the edge/end of the 'flat' earth...lol...
Will be going to V & NC for sure just the same....
Where is GPSNav when you need him?
Old 06-12-2013, 00:45   #6

HaHa!

We went thru the same thing in Fiji. Still easier than using a sextant!

Old 06-12-2013, 00:50   #7

Did you find any problems? Like no depth info right on that 179-180 deg longitude line? Am downloading Navionics charts for Fiji right now to see if that might fill the gap....
Old 06-12-2013, 02:41   #8

No probs. just had to use my finger a bit more on that screen. Was annoying, nothing more.

Tags
charts, Fiji