Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2019, 13:35   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Capt. Mike Maurice
ENC Chart Plotting and Android

I have been experimenting with an Android app called: Aquarius ENC Plotter. It is a little bit quirky to use and I have had to spend some time getting used to the interface. That said I have sent the developer about a dozen suggestions and as soon as I test it in the field off the internet I am sure I will have some more.
However, if it gets a little more polish I think it will make an excellent, usable, reliable ENC chart plotter.

I have tried some others, but they have to work off-line, to be safe and display good tracking. This is the best I have found so far.

The ENC presentation is better and a lot safe than Navionics, which almost all of us have. I say that because I know of at least two places where the Navionics chart's presentation is ambiqious or outright incorrect. Near Punta Gorda Rock(Cape Mendocino area), Mack Arch Cove, south of Gold Beach, Oregon. If you want the best presentation of detail near rocks and the beach on the US West Coast, you need to use real ENC charts. That may not important to many of you, but I regularly anchor in places where accurate detail is absolutely necessary.
Capt. Mike Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 13:49   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: ENC Chart Plotting and Android

OpenCPN for Android?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pencpn.opencpn
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 18:32   #3

I have found out a few things of consequence with my testing.
The Navionic charts may not be missing any detail that is on the NOAA ENC charts. But, it may not display all of the detail at the same zoon level as the NOAA ENC. The difference is subtle, the NOAA chart has all the detail at about 2/10 of a mile whereas the Navionics has to be zoomed to 1/10 or maybe even 500 feet.

In case you were not aware, as I was not aware the Navionics app has an option for the NOAA ENC(gov) charts.
The NOAA charts do not have the little "ducks" that distract and may be confusing.
There is definitely a learning curve for vector (ENC)charts.
A feature which may be useful, but I have not tried is overlaying the chart with the satellite pictures. This might be useful at places like Fort Ross Cove just north of Bodega Bay, CA.
Old 30-11-2019, 21:45   #4

Boat: Other people's boats

Using Gorda Rock as an example, I've grabbed a few screenshots. I'm hoping you might going into a bit more detail about the features you had in mind?

The depth units have been set to fathoms to match the raster chart. I've also switched on the zone of confidence display; note that within a quarter-mile of shore the quality is category C, meaning position accuracy is ±500 m and "depth anomalies may be expected"; i.e. be very careful.

Navionics:

RNC:

ENC:
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:17   #5

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Agreed brilliant piece of Navigation resources and the charts are up to date and well worth it , would not use any other source that costs to much money but IM A Scot/Italian I pick up pennies in the street , you never know
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:38   #6

Boat: O'day 222 22'

I'm always interested in finding a full featured enc app for my Tab S. This looks like a good app but would not let me download charts to my SD card. That is a non-starter for me with limited local storage on the Samsung. I left a review. We'll see if the developer can address the issue.
kveach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:47   #7
bcn

Contact the developer - Dave Register - at the dedicated support forum for OpenCPN for Android:
https://bigdumboat.com/aocpn/forum/
Old 01-12-2019, 09:10   #8

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

My main concern with usig Android devices as main nav instruments is not chart or display quality but the abilty to get data in and device robustness. As a seconday device picking up network info from a master or as an emergency backup they are axcellent. As a primary you generally only get one micro usb or usb c port no weatherproofing and qite a fragile case, particulry case covers. I think the appraent move to small portable nav devices not purpose built for the outdoor environment has a high potential for tradgedy.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:50   #9

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
My main concern with usig Android devices as main nav instruments is not chart or display quality but the abilty to get data in and device robustness. As a seconday device picking up network info from a master or as an emergency backup they are axcellent. As a primary you generally only get one micro usb or usb c port no weatherproofing and qite a fragile case, particulry case covers. I think the appraent move to small portable nav devices not purpose built for the outdoor environment has a high potential for tradgedy.

Interesting they said that about moving from paper charts and the able use of proper navigation to multipurpose screens that we are glued to rather than having confidence ion our ability to read a chart and relate this to the surrounding area.
IMHO android /apple devices are now showing up these marine MFDS as over priced and over though out. yes the display in sunlight is not so good easily though out , and I have had no issues in 2 years with my android device for navigation , there are multiply threads on the pros and cons and it is for another day , but evolution is inevitable and cheaper more practical solutions are coming to the fore and should not be dismissive so easily until properly tested.
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:16   #10
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

Interesting thread but for some of us abbreviations are still a challenge.Whats ENC?
Tom
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:26   #11
bcn

ENC: Electronical Nautical Charts - vector charts
RNC: Raster Nautical charts - raster format, i.e. images for example from paper charts.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:58   #12

I don't recommend routine use of Android devices to do chart plotting. But, since I go from boat to boat the Android devices that I own are generally more reliable than the devices I find on the boats. If you own your boat and are familiar with the installed chart plotting system, then you are most likely most familiar with it and less so, any Android app that you might use as a backup.

In other words, there are trade offs involved; by instinct you are most likely to use and rely upon whatever you are most familiar with.

I have had dangerous failures, at night, near land, involving $25k Furuno chart plotting systems, where the system appeared to be plotting correctly, but was not.

I carry two Android devices and on occasion employ both at the same time, just because of the apparent danger at the time.

In other words, if I have to approach a really dangerous place, like at night, in high wind, fog, poor visibility; I don't rely on any one way to verify position. I make sure that we use visible orientation, supplemented with radar, chart plotting, night vision scope, depth finder, fear, and snail paced approach while we verify that all our sensors jibe. And, they had jolly well better be consistent or we hold immediately. In other words, as long as I can be sure we are within a few feet of where we think we are, not relying upon: HOPE. Hope is a poor replacement for certainty.

You can never know too much(be too familiar) with your navigation equipment. There is always something else to learn. I ought to know, I keep finding new tricks and unfamiliar ways of using my equipment and I have been at this for over 50 years.

There is a saying among seamen, "that too whom much is given, much is expected". Modern yachtsmen have tremendous advantages in modern navigation equipment, you should expect of yourself to use it well.
Old 01-12-2019, 14:49   #13

Well, the big companies are trying to rip you off. Navionics app on your phone is excellent.
Sandydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 18:33   #14

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Navionics is owned by Garmin.
Big company selling chart plotters.
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 19:19   #15

Ok, well the big electronics manufacturers then.
Get the Navionics App on your phone.
Sandydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc