Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2013, 12:36   #1

Blackberry chart plotting products

Us blackberry users oft have a difficult time getting ahold of decent chartplotting aides.

I found and purchased GPS nautical charts HD for blackberry 10 and also my playbook. I cant remember the price but it was much less than even a set of paper charts and it came with access to all of the us and canada for 14.99 i beleive.

Works fantastic on my Z10. Unfortunately on the blackberry playbook it sort pf sucks. Same charts same everything, but the gps in the playbook is not cellphone assisted and takes forever to aquire. Nice for skimming the charts without plotting your position though.

They also have versions for previous pre blackberry 10 devices.

Well worth the money.

I write this because i was looking forever for decent chart plotting software and unlike iphone and android navionics does not support blackberry 10. Kind of dumb of them not to, since blackberry 10 can side load an android app and run it with a half a days work on the part of the developer and blackberry will even help them test it and guarantee them $10000 in sales.

For all the blackberry users out there.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 12:49   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Blackberry chart plotting products

Probably not dumb from a business point of view since Blackberry is on the ropes and looking to shed its phone operations. It's current market share is below 10% and diving rapidly.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 12:57   #3

Not to get into a phone debate but those IDC market surveys are very misleading. They track phone sales not phones in peoples hands and in use. Blackberrys problem is their phones are tough as nails, people love them and dont want to give them up. I was loathe to sell my curve after getting the z10 but the sim cards were different sizes.

Blackberry may be in trouble but there are still 68 million of us with them. And some of us could use some navigational aid software. :-) ..

I am not a BB fanboy. I work in capital markets.
Old 28-08-2013, 08:36   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"

Jnoel - Navionics here. The main reason that Navionoics doesn't offer the Navionics APP for Blackberry is there are to many security issues. Navionics had worked for over 11/2 years to get the APP on Blackberry, and that is just the tip of the ice berg with blackberry.
JNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 08:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoel View Post
Jnoel - Navionics here. The main reason that Navionoics doesn't offer the Navionics APP for Blackberry is there are to many security issues. Navionics had worked for over 11/2 years to get the APP on Blackberry, and that is just the tip of the ice berg with blackberry.
Perhaps its worty another try with blackberry 10. As far as im aware an android app can be sideloaded in hours and blackberry will do the certification for free and guarantee you $10k in sales. I know id buy navionics in a flash if it were available. The gps nautical charts app that i am using is an android sideloaded app and while its good, it doesnt offer near the feature seats of navionics.

While id of course prefer a native bb app, a sideloaded app would do. Theres a way you as a user can sideload it yourself, but you need to buy the app and download the android installer, which isnt easy unto itself with a commercial app like navionics. Then you need to make some modifications to the file so it will load into qnx'es android emulation instead of trying to execute it as a native app.

Maybe get one of your developers to download the blackberry 10 android porting kit to play with it. Pre bb10 launch there were jam weekends where 60000+ apps were ported from android to bb10, it cant be that hard. Most of those ports were done by smaller developers than a high end app like navionics.