Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2021, 18:32   #1

Boat: Cavalier 32
Compass Galaxy Aqua Meter repair

The acrylic dome on my early 1980's compass has finally yellowed and cracked, allowing air in and fluid out. I can't find any source of spares as it needs a new dome. It was made in Roseland NJ but the company has been taken over and discontinued.

It is an excellent compass and I have tried to find modern equivalents but nothing I have seen matches the intuitive card and it's accuracy.
dryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 19:22   #2

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Compass Galaxy Aqua Meter repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryan View Post
The acrylic dome on my early 1980's compass has finally yellowed and cracked, allowing air in and fluid out. I can't find any source of spares as it needs a new dome. It was made in Roseland NJ but the company has been taken over and discontinued.

It is an excellent compass and I have tried to find modern equivalents but nothing I have seen matches the intuitive card and it's accuracy.
Hello, perhaps inquire here about parts and service (if you have not done this already). My boat came with a defunct Airguide compass and I ended up replacing it with an entry-level Ritchie.

https://www.vikingcompass.com/003.html

In January 2010 Viking Instruments purchased the entire inventory of Galaxy compass parts as well as the tooling to continue to manufacture replacement parts from Rule Industries. Viking Instruments is the exclusive manufacturer and distributer of replacement Galaxy compass parts and service.

Old 21-07-2021, 20:41   #3

Boat: Cavalier 32
Re: Compass Galaxy Aqua Meter repair

Thanks Spot, I will call them to see if they have spare domes as I think the acrylic is beyond repair.
dryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass