Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2024, 15:25   #136

Re: "Best" chart/navigation software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabado View Post
For us, TZ runs 24/7 providing anchor watch (including remote notifications) and AIS alerts. It currently has a 5 month uptime. This is more a system limitations not a software one.
How the other half live

That's one wonderful thing about opensource like openplotter & opencpn, budget cruisers on small boats can have just as powerful a setup for very little cost in cash or milliamps, just not as shiny & polished.
Actually signalk will do anything you can think of. Opencpn is getting more & more integrated as time goes by. Extremely useful for a cruising boat.
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 15:31   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcoMeCasa View Post
How the other half live

That's one wonderful thing about opensource like openplotter & opencpn, budget cruisers on small boats can have just as powerful a setup for very little cost in cash or milliamps, just not as shiny & polished.
Actually signalk will do anything you can think of. Opencpn is getting more & more integrated as time goes by. Extremely useful for a cruising boat.
We have a very extensive signalk setup. This isn't a other half issue, it's a priority issue. Would you still use OCPN over other options if it were $500?
Sabado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 15:48   #138

Quote:
Would you still use OCPN over other options if it were $500?
It's not though, better to live in the real world.
Managed just fine with photocopied paper charts from under the A1 machine in the dusty backstreet copy shop back in the day before computer nav existed. It's just easier now. The big pile of charts in the corner probably aren't there any more.
And not a big deal if all the toys break. Which they can. Just needs one lightning strike nearby.
Nice to have a spare Pi ready to rock stashed away in a tin with a few aliexpress GPS's.
Old 18-02-2024, 15:55   #139

Quote:
It's not though, better to live in the real world.
Managed just fine with photocopied paper charts from under the A1 machine in the dusty backstreet copy shop back in the day before computer nav existed. It's just easier now. The big pile of charts in the corner probably aren't there any more.
And not a big deal if all the toys break. Which they can. Just needs one lightning strike nearby.
Nice to have a spare Pi ready to rock stashed away in a tin with a few aliexpress GPS's.
That's great! I started navigating before GPS, before loran c, etc. Now, I pick the best available.
Old 18-02-2024, 16:09   #140

Quote:
Now, I pick the best available.
Just having an engine that actually starts every time these days is a constant cause for celebration. The rest of the toys just make life easier, seems wise to remember they will break. Once limped up solo from south America with a bust engine, batteries which could just about run a nav light for a few hours & bust anchor windlass. Boat is tougher & simpler now but with loads of backups , never throw away a phone..
But really do enjoy having the toys
Old 18-02-2024, 17:21   #141

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
What can OpenCPN do for you that the other software applications such as expedition can't? Is it only the charts? Where are you getting the charts for OpenCPN? TZ charts seem to be updated very frequently but I guess it could be different for different locations.

That got me to spill my coffee. While Expedition is $1200 plus charts, its learning curve is 5 times as steep as OpenCPN. To be an effective Expedition user, you will pay another boat buck or two for training classes, plus months of practice.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 17:32   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
That got me to spill my coffee. While Expedition is $1200 plus charts, its learning curve is 5 times as steep as OpenCPN. To be an effective Expedition user, you will pay another boat buck or two for training classes, plus months of practice.
Can I pay the same to become proficient at OCPN????
Old 19-02-2024, 05:01   #143

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
As an OpenCPN user, I'm surprised at the negativity on the software in this thread.

I haven't meant to imply that I think OpenCPN isn't a good app.

Just that it's always seemed (from the outside) like too much work, for me, to install, learn, support, etc.

Easier for me to install TZ, turn it on, use it. Not that there's no learning curve at all with TZ... but in our case, its so close to our Furuno MFD operations that our TZ start-up was quick and easy. Including satellite photography.

And as I said before, our nav requirements are really lightweight. Can't hardly get lost when you can usually see both banks... and AICW travel is typically more about "depth right here" than than it is about finding our way... so almost any nav package that works when we turn it on could be viable. (Extra marks to AquaMap because of the USACE survey data available via in-app purchase, an especially useful feature for AICW travel.)

-Chris
Old 19-02-2024, 05:14   #144

Quote:
Can I pay the same to become proficient at OCPN????
Is there anything specific that you want to do? Sometimes a quick How To online with a couple of screen grabs can be useful & much quicker than getting knee deep in the manual.
Old 19-02-2024, 05:44   #145

Quote:
Is there anything specific that you want to do? Sometimes a quick How To online with a couple of screen grabs can be useful & much quicker than getting knee deep in the manual.
I think my lack of proficiency has less to do with the quality of resources available and more to do with my ability to comprehend.
Old 19-02-2024, 09:07   #146

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
TZ has fantastic satellite images that download with two clicks.

Viewing TZ on mycloud. timezero:
- satellite images from only 1 source... cannot switch sources to see different tide levels, shadows, louds

- zoom level limited

Satellite images from SASPLANET/SAT2CHART useable on OpenCPN far more options.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 09:35   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
- satellite images from only 1 source... cannot switch sources to see different tide levels, shadows, louds

- zoom level limited

I agree. I really need to get an android tablet so I can view OCPN at the helm. I'm using an iPad now through RDP but the sat images slow the connection down too much.
Old 20-02-2024, 05:06   #148

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post

- zoom level limited

For those of us with lightweight nav requirements... sat images seem interesting to have, but I don't remember ever needing or even using them. Multiple options, for a capability never used, isn't too important.

-Chris
Old 20-02-2024, 09:15   #149

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
For those of us with lightweight nav requirements... sat images seem interesting to have, but I don't remember ever needing or even using them. Multiple options, for a capability never used, isn't too important.

-Chris
We use satellite images VERY often here in British Columbia... very helpful up North.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 15:31   #150

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

What an opinionated hotbed of discussion. By now readers should be realizing that this group has a wide range of skills, uses and interests and that no one solution is going to be perfect for everyone. In fact it is entirely likely that some nav software is not at all appropriate for some people and uses. Try to keep this in mind when looking into software, and listening to the opinions. Educate yourself, try several software products. Follow your gut instincts, and accept that some people here have an "axe to grind" or particular "commercial" interests.

I have used the following nav software:
  • OpenCPN
  • Coastal Explorer
  • Navionics.
  • Max Sea which is the base for Time Zero
  • The CapN
  • Fugawi
  • Raymarine's software product.(forgotten it's name).
  • Garmin's software for windows (forgotten it's name).
  • SailGribWR (android) Not really navigation
  • Predictwind
  • QtVlm
I like(d) QtVlm, MaxSea, Coastal Explorer, and QtVlm. I found Raymarine, Captn, Fugawi and Garmin Software were somewhat disappointing.

I also like OpenCPN and have pretty much settled on that, although I still use SailgribWR, QtVlm and Luckgrib and sometimes Predictwind. When I first saw OpenCPN years ago, I was quite impressed. OpenCPN had suffered a big setback in developing world wide charts when NOAA withdrew them (as I recall). The knowledge gained from this big effort served them well, and with a good deal of pluck and perseverance this situation has been totally reversed with o-charts. Additionally OpenCPN is undoubtedly one of the most flexible programs for connectivity and using multiple types of chart formats and mbtiles. In addition, the program has many useful plugins and is available on a wide range of OS and platforms, including RPI and android. There are also several good packaging efforts for RPI.

OpenCPN is opensource and depends on Users and Programmers efforts to improve the program, plugins, manuals and website. As a result, one thing or another can be somewhat out of date at times. In my opinion, OpenCPN generally aims pretty high for an opensource effort, just look at the programming activity on github. One thing that needs to be done right now is improvement of the manual, which is where users can help as editors. There are also some specific areas that can possibly be improved for new users. I believe these will be addressed eventually. All I can say is that contributing your time and effort as a programmer, or user (testing and improving documentation, providing support, etc) is returned back to you as the program improves and evolves. The OpenCPN community is supportive, patient and dedicated if approached reasonably.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, software