Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2010, 10:48   #1

Boat: Passport 41-Touche'
Anyone Using Garmin's Homeport ?

I downloaded the software and copied the charts off my chartplotter(4210) but find the program difficult to use. I am not very computer efficient and garmin does not supply any instructions. Then after a couple of days Homeport would no longer open my charts. Anyone using Homeport with success? Thanks
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 12:00   #2

I'm not sure this would be called success, but I found several issues/concerns using Homeport: (1) the map image must be on an USB drive, either microSD card from GPS or a copy onto another microSD or flash drive. Homeport won't read the img file from your hard drive. (2) With my licensed Garmin maps (microSD version), printing is disabled in Homeport. When planning a trip, I like to have a paper guide as reference, so this reduces Homeport's usefullness to me. (3) Unlike MapSource, Homeport doesn't read or write individual maps to/from the GPS. I wanted to send to GPS selected bluechart and topo maps for my area and I can't figure a way to do this.

Another minor issue with Homeport and PC charting software is my waypoints lose their icons and spaces, special characters are removed from the descriptions, etc, when transferring to/from the GPS, Homeport and PC charting software. I'm certain this can be easily solved, but adds to the confusion and complexity of using 2 or 3 different software products to do one thing - manage maps, waypoints, and routes.

I'm painfully coming to the conclusion that I'll continue to use PC based charting software to manage waypoints, routes, etc., and transfer to the GPS. I need to figure a way to preserve the waypoint icons and descriptions. Not the simplification that I was hoping, by using MapSource or Homeport.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 13:45   #3

Boat: 1972 47' Chris Craft Commander YF
Re: Anyone Using Garmin's Homeport ?

I just downloaded HOMEPORT, but do not have an icon on my screen. Should I? the only way I can find it is to type in "homeport" in the little box on the lower left of my desktop.

Thanks,

Clint
jcchev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin