Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2022, 01:27   #46

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: 2 month itinerary from Chesapeake north?

Egg harbor is not usable for most sailboats, and it is not an all-weather inlet. It is poorly marked from the sea and there are shoal spots on the approach. It shifts frequently and poorly reliable. Inside the inlet is also subject to shoals and that shifting is not reported.

The north part of egg harbor has the JFK memorial bridge which is fixed at 25 ft. There are serious currents and you're exposed to the Sea because there's no real area of refuge. The bridge to the South has a height of 65 ft but I wouldn't trust it. For all of these reasons, I have never gone into egg harbor.

And I apologize about the inreach. I didn't mean to be misleading. I communicate with the weather router via text messaging. That's how they send me the forecast, and we communicate when I'm offshore.

Your boat is a bit bigger than mine. I have a hunter legend 37.5, and I draw 4.5 ft and mast height is 62 ft. I tend to be a little on the conservative side with water depth and bridge heights.

If you're in a bind, barnegat inlet is well marked and there are plenty of places to anchor and take a break. There's a lighthouse there we call Old Barney that is clearly visible from the sea and there's safe water mark and clearly marked approach to the inlet. The challenge with barnegat inlet is the current. You really have to hit barnegat inlet at slack tide or at the very least on a slight incoming tide, on the way in, and vice versa on the way out. Other than that, It's a beautiful Anchorage with some facilities and marinas.

After barnegat, Jersey really heads to the North and you need to head northeast.

As a side note, I personally, do not recommend going under the Verrazano bridge into the Hudson River and then through the East River into Long Island sound. I did that once and it was a nightmare between the shipping traffic, the Staten Island ferry, the helicopters flying overhead, the Jets screaming all over, the turbulent Waters near the Ambrose channel and then timing the current through the East River and hell's gate. There is also not many anchorages in Long Island sound.

The other thing I meant to tell you is when you come down the Delaware River stay outside of the channel. If you do that, you'll have no problems with the shipping traffic. Once you exit the C&D canal stay outside the red markers on the Jersey side. There is plenty of water for us sailboats just outside of the channel, especially at night. There is lots of shipping activity at night on the Delaware. You'll be a pro at light signatures by morning!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 09:03   #47

Boat: Jeanneau SO 42DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Egg harbor is not usable for most sailboats, and it is not an all-weather inlet. It is poorly marked from the sea and there are shoal spots on the approach. It shifts frequently and poorly reliable. Inside the inlet is also subject to shoals and that shifting is not reported.

If you're in a bind, barnegat inlet is well marked and there are plenty of places to anchor and take a break. There's a lighthouse there we call Old Barney that is clearly visible from the sea and there's safe water mark and clearly marked approach to the inlet. The challenge with barnegat inlet is the current. You really have to hit barnegat inlet at slack tide or at the very least on a slight incoming tide, on the way in, and vice versa on the way out. Other than that, It's a beautiful Anchorage with some facilities and marinas.

After barnegat, Jersey really heads to the North and you need to head northeast.

The other thing I meant to tell you is when you come down the Delaware River stay outside of the channel. If you do that, you'll have no problems with the shipping traffic. Once you exit the C&D canal stay outside the red markers on the Jersey side. There is plenty of water for us sailboats just outside of the channel, especially at night. There is lots of shipping activity at night on the Delaware. You'll be a pro at light signatures by morning!
Hey no apology necessary! Thanks for the info. I'm taking it all on-board.

As someone new to the east coast I need all the help I can get! I really appreciate the info on Delaware Bay ... I'll be sure to stay east just outside the channel.
Old 22-02-2022, 09:13   #48

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyandkimo View Post
Looking for suggestions for 2 months cruise from the Chesapeake heading north. Would prefer to avoid big metro areas. Also, any cruising guides for the NE?

Thanks
We did this in 3 and 1/2 months in the summer of 21. Take a look at our blog at circe.travelmap.net Note that in the last 60 days of our trip, from Portland Maine north into Canada and all the way home, we did not get shore power a single night, and only tied to a dock without power one time.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 07:48   #49

Boat: Catalina 470

This has been an educational thread! While we aren't planning on Maine any time soon, we do want to head up to NY and maybe RI where I have a cousin to visit perhaps.
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 16:11   #50

Boat: Jeanneau SO 42DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
We did this in 3 and 1/2 months in the summer of 21. Take a look at our blog at circe.travelmap.net Note that in the last 60 days of our trip, from Portland Maine north into Canada and all the way home, we did not get shore power a single night, and only tied to a dock without power one time.

This is a great blog! Thanks for pointing us to it. Lots of great ideas for our trip north!

Cheers,