Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 05:45   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Windlass problem

I have massively upgraded my ground tackle, with 100 meters of G40 chain and a 55kg Rocna anchor.

This has caused various problems, since the bow rollers were designed for a 25kg Delta.

Incidentally big kudos to the Rocna people who have really gone beyond the call of duty in helping me figure out these problems. I have been one of those who has made fun of the Rocna propaganda on here, and so now it is my moral duty to post about what a great customer service experience I have had with them.

Among other problems, my windlass isn't coping. It's a Lewmar Ocean V5 which should be able to exert a 2-ton pull. But it slips, no matter how hard I clamp down the clutch.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Do the cone clutches wear, so that they have to be replaced often? I was thinking to start with replacing those, but I keep thinking that I must be doing something wrong. This is my first vertical windlass (and I have to say I prefer my previous, horizontal ones, so far).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:18   #2

If they haven't been checked in awhile you may have some old, hardened grease on the cone clutches. Iv'e seen that happen before. A simple cleaning and re-greasing did the trick.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:26   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
If they haven't been checked in awhile you may have some old, hardened grease on the cone clutches. Iv'e seen that happen before. A simple cleaning and re-greasing did the trick.
So they work in grease, eh? Kind of like the old oil-bathed multiplate clutches on motorcycles, I guess.

The boat is 10 years old and the previous owner did not anchor much. I am quite sure that there has never been any maintenance done to the clutches. I guess I'l take them apart, clean them, and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:32   #4
Marine Service Provider

Dockhead....

I am having a similar problem with a GalleyMaid 30 horizontal windlass, 110 lb Bruce.

It seems to me that the cone clutch has worn a bit, and the design is such that the top surface of the cone begins to contact the inner surface of the outer, female cone part, if that make sense. Result is that the cone surfaces do not engage completely. The active friction surface is reduced to just the top of the cone, which is much less than the intended surface area. It is also at lower radius as well, producing less much less torque on the gypsy. It slips unless I use a hammer(!) and lever to really tighten the clutch. Impractical at best.

I have (gently) taken a grinder to the interfering surface. Some improvement. I think I need to get more aggressive with removing metal on this part, but I hesitate. "You can't "undrill" a hole".

Any correlation with what you see?

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:09   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Dockhead....

I am having a similar problem with a GalleyMaid 30 horizontal windlass, 110 lb Bruce.

It seems to me that the cone clutch has worn a bit, and the design is such that the top surface of the cone begins to contact the inner surface of the outer, female cone part, if that make sense. Result is that the cone surfaces do not engage completely. The active friction surface is reduced to just the top of the cone, which is much less than the intended surface area. It is also at lower radius as well, producing less much less torque on the gypsy. It slips unless I use a hammer(!) and lever to really tighten the clutch. Impractical at best.

I have (gently) taken a grinder to the interfering surface. Some improvement. I think I need to get more aggressive with removing metal on this part, but I hesitate. "You can't "undrill" a hole".

Any correlation with what you see?

Dave
I don't know -- haven't taken it apart yet. I'll let you know.

It sounds plausible to me that hard grease could prevent the surfaces from mating. I'm planning to take mine apart and clean thoroughly, then try again. I'll post the results after the weekend.