Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2016, 09:28   #31

Boat: Gulf 32
Re: What size rope to what size chain?

I just wanted to add my experience on chain/rope. I have 32 foot 18000lb and use 1/4 G4 with a lewmar v700 windlass. I use 200 feet of chain with 200 feet of polyester spliced on the end. I chose polyester for its greater strength and wet durability. The splice needs help over the gypsy but once over is ok. When I first was choosing the chain size I wondered if the chain was too light and it is difficult to find reliable analysis of the forces generated on a chain in storm force seas, that I could find, so I still worry some about the chain. One technician relieved me somewhat by saying that the entire bow of the boat would rip out before the chain would break. LOL. Ok. I have the 33lb Bruce anchor and have never dragged. Anchored in 15 feet and 30 feet with 30 to 40 kt with higher gusts, chain bar tight onto the 20 foot snubber. Usually I just use the chain, and 5:1 scope unless there is a big storm coming. Removed the swivel after five years just to see if there is any difference. None noted. Finding an equal shackle strength wise is difficult. Crosby shackles almost fit the G4 with equal strength, but finally had to go with Wichard SS to make it right. Don't like the different metals issue but will live with it.

Cheers.
Ed-White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:02   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: What size rope to what size chain?

1/4" G4 has the same breaking as 3/8 G30 or BBB - about 2600 lbs. I am using 1/4' G4 on a 27' boat. The only downside I see is less meat as far as corrosion over time but strength shouldn't be a problem.

For a shackle try Wichard titanium which may be stronger for a given size and has none of the problems stainless has under water.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope, size