Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 19:07   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: What size rope to what size chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I took a look at the gypsys available for the V4/5 Lewmars and Thinwater is right, none of them make sense to me. No shortage of other good windlasses on the market.

As for G70 chain, I don't think it's suitable for use in a combination rode. You'd have to go to one of the new high tech fibers to get the strength in a reasonable size. I'm sure it could be done but it's just not cost effective for most people. Maybe for a racer trying to save every pound.
If I were a racer trying to save every pound... I wouldn't have a windlass. I have an aluminum anchor and deck apes. True?

I think this is a short handed "fast cruiser" question, for whom they are reasonably priced pounds. I actually fit that category; I like all-chain, but I don't want to carry more than 100-150 feet, which is usually enough.
Old 08-05-2016, 19:49   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you go with Samson Amsteel Blue it would give you the strength you need in smaller sizes to match the high strength chains that fit your windlass. I don't know how to splice it to chain and I don't know if it would be gripped by the gypsy. It would be an interesting experiment.
Old 08-05-2016, 20:25   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Yes, that makes OK sense, but the V4 still says 5/8 rope at 3/8 chain. Odd. However, it does not allow for the more rapid wear of rope and the lower WLL (the WLL limit on rope is about half that of chain).

And if folks go to G70 it will be a mismatch.

I went on Defender's site & you're right about Lewmars. What's also strange is that some of the Maxwells match 3/8 chain to 5/8 line & some match it to 3/4 line. I think 5/16 chain & 5/8 line would work fine for your boat. I'll bet you can get a gypsy that size for your V700. Sure would be a lot less work than installing a new windlass.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I went on Defender's site & you're right about Lewmars. What's also strange is that some of the Maxwells match 3/8 chain to 5/8 line & some match it to 3/4 line. I think 5/16 chain & 5/8 line would work fine for your boat. I'll bet you can get a gypsy that size for your V700. Sure would be a lot less work than installing a new windlass.
Actually, 1/4 G43 with 1/2 rope is a match for my boat. Has been for 20 years. The question is hypothetical, for me. I can also tell you that 1/2 is a battle for the V700 unless a long splice is used. An honest rating would be 7/16", if they were assuming a regular back splice.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:49   #20

I just completed my installation of a Lewmar V1 last weekend. I purchased the kit that includes a Lewmar anchor rode with chain so there should be no problems with it accepting the splice. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:26   #21

Boat: Casacde 36

Same for me. Works great, plenty of strength.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 23:04   #22

Boat: Corbin 39

I just added 3/4 inch 8 strand Maxwell Nylon anchor rode to my G43 3/8 chain, works fine in my Muir Windlass , easy to splice on as well
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 11:06   #23

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER

You will always be better off with all chain.
That being said, the weight and cost of an all chain system might make this unsatisfactory for your application.
Winch companies that say that they can use both rope and chain have to make a compromise. They can not use a rope that is large enough to match the chain. The rope would be much larger than the chain. This combination physically just does not work.
If it were me, I would get rid of that Winch.
If you want to use a rope that would be as strong or stronger than the chain, You have to have a winch that handles the chain and rope separately. Buy a winch that also has a drum for the rope.
MAJICDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 11:22   #24

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortezsailor View Post
I just added 3/4 inch 8 strand Maxwell Nylon anchor rode to my G43 3/8 chain, works fine in my Muir Windlass , easy to splice on as well
Same sizes for me

Some rope has a definite advantage over full_chain: with a knife you free yourself easily
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 11:50   #25

We used our new Lewmar V1 last weekend. The splice between the 5/8" line & the 5/16" G4 chain went through pretty well. Out of the dozen or so times we raised it the splice hung up a couple of times but I just bumped it in reverse & then tried again & it went right through. The 3 strand line has a breaking strength of 12,200lbs which is actually higher than the 11,600lb breaking strength of the chain so I think it's strong enough & a good match.
Old 16-05-2016, 12:46   #26

Max load must be 1/4 of breaking load !

Tensile load is said to be 1/2 of breaking load.
Old 16-05-2016, 13:42   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Max load must be 1/4 of breaking load !

Tensile load is said to be 1/2 of breaking load.
Actually...
--With chain (depends on grade) WLL is about 1/4 BS
--with rope WLL is about 1/12 BS
There is some difference between minimum breaking strength and max, but it is not 1/2.

You can look this up.

The complicated bit is that the load is much higher (about 2-3x, depending on water depth) with all chain than with rope.
Old 16-05-2016, 13:44   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
We used our new Lewmar V1 last weekend. The splice between the 5/8" line & the 5/16" G4 chain went through pretty well. Out of the dozen or so times we raised it the splice hung up a couple of times but I just bumped it in reverse & then tried again & it went right through. The 3 strand line has a breaking strength of 12,200lbs which is actually higher than the 11,600lb breaking strength of the chain so I think it's strong enough & a good match.
But an several jams per weekend isn't OK at all. That is pitiful. A proper chain long splice or proper gypsy can/should do better than that.
Old 16-05-2016, 17:26   #29

Quote:
But an several jams per weekend isn't OK at all. That is pitiful. A proper chain long splice or proper gypsy can/should do better than that.
Twice in 12 tries would not be several jams per weekend unless you just really like pulling anchor & moving a lot. Actually it's probably my fault. I plastic coated the splice & I think it made it a little too stiff to make the turn into the hawse pipe. The Simpson Lawrence windlass I replaced kind of chewed up the previous anchor line so I was trying to avoid that. I only put on one coat so it'll loosen up with a little use.
Old 17-05-2016, 01:08   #30

Quote:
Actually...
--With chain (depends on grade) WLL is about 1/4 BS
--with rope WLL is about 1/12 BS
There is some difference between minimum breaking strength and max, but it is not 1/2.

You can look this up.

The complicated bit is that the load is much higher (about 2-3x, depending on water depth) with all chain than with rope.
My statement Refers to chain only.

As you introduce the rope...... do you mean the same BS ? (breaking stress, I suppose...)

As an engineer, a safety factor of 12 is used only in elevators (8 really) and cableways...

Tags
rope, size