Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2013, 07:30   #1
F51

Tight Anchorage Spacing?

I would like to have lots of space between me and my neighbor, but that is rarely practical, so how close do you feel comfortable? Do you express that as a percentage of your deployed anchor rode or some arbitrary number? Thanks.
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 08:10   #2

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Tight Anchorage spacing?

Anchored in 20-25 feet with 100-125 feet of rode out we've had people anchor within about 100' and everything has been fine even when it was a cat with all chain and I'm a mono with chain & rope. We never got within 75' of each other. It feels really tight but it was fine.
I have insurance.
I was there first.
His boat was a lot nicer than mine.
My boat is built like a bomb shelter.
Old 22-01-2013, 08:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tight Anchorage spacing?

As above... working on a depth of 20ft.. I'd come up behind a boat already anchored to within 50ft of his stern then drop 100ft of chain (on my boat, rode length varies an size)... plenty of space for a busy anchorage... and great fun if someone drags...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 08:44   #4

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by F51 View Post
I would like to have lots of space between me and my neighbor, but that is rarely practical, so how close do you feel comfortable? Do you express that as a percentage of your deployed anchor rode or some arbitrary number? Thanks.

I go out of my way to anchor as far as possible, always! I have had people drop anchor nearby and by that I mean less than 50'. It does happen and when it does, I usually visit that captain and ask about his ground tackle, sometimes reminding him that if a problem happens during the night because of his anchor slipping, it is up to him to fix the problem.

But in reality telling him I expect him to fix the problem means nothing. Some confrontations got somewhat hostile! I have had my share of "awe shucks" in the recent past with over rated anchors....Delta for one, Bruce for another which just will not provide anchoring security in ell grass, slipping in the middle of the night. My practice of trying to stay clear of EVERYBODY has helped me prevent problems to others. But now with an 80# Manson Supreme I have no anchoring problems as far as slipping is concerned.

If you have a decent motorized dinghy, there usually no need to be with the flock.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 08:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
As above... working on a depth of 20ft.. I'd come up behind a boat already anchored to within 50ft of his stern then drop 100ft of chain (on my boat, rode length varies an size)... plenty of space for a busy anchorage... and great fun if someone drags...

That does not always work especially when you don't know how much scope the other boat has out. In a 180 reversal, you could find your stern on his bow.
Old 22-01-2013, 09:04   #6

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I had a boat anchor directly in front of me once. They let out enough scope to place their boat over my anchor and were in their dink headed for shore in under two minutes.

Their boat caught fire and burned to the waterline. I left the bitter end of my chain attached to a fender as I escaped.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:07   #7

In general, 3 boat lengths is minimum for me. But often, I will just opt for deeper outside anchorage if necessary. I too will drop my anchor off someone's stern, sometimes I try to ask how much scope he has out by pulling alongside prior to anchoring. Of course there's the occassional guy who's in a popular anchorage in 18 ft of water, he got there first and put out 180 ft of rode, now he's surrounded and insists on leaving his rode out..... arghhh!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
In general, 3 boat lengths is minimum for me. But often, I will just opt for deeper outside anchorage if necessary. I too will drop my anchor off someone's stern, sometimes I try to ask how much scope he has out by pulling alongside prior to anchoring. Of course there's the occassional guy who's in a popular anchorage in 18 ft of water, he got there first and put out 180 ft of rode, now he's surrounded and insists on leaving his rode out..... arghhh!

Yes but the guy with a mile of scope will not be a problem to you if you anchor off his stern. The problem arises when YOU have a mile of scope and he does not when a 180 occurs.

And yes, the good books of yesterday suggested using a scope of 10. But that is just not feasible in today's crowed harbors.
Old 22-01-2013, 09:28   #9

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I had a boat anchor directly in front of me once. They let out enough scope to place their boat over my anchor and were in their dink headed for shore in under two minutes.

Their boat caught fire and burned to the waterline. I left the bitter end of my chain attached to a fender as I escaped.
I've been tempted so many times. Never quite had the guts.....

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:31   #10
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

In 18 feet of water with the bow 3' off the water your at 21' X 8 (storm scope) = 168' rode. So maybe the guy putting out 180' is possibly the only safe mariner in the anchorage. Plenty of people get this wrong and get grumpy about it.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:35   #11

To me, unless there's a storm brewing, he's the most unsafe boat in the anchorage... to everyone else.... 10:1 scope is just not recommended or necessary in a well used anchorage.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:46   #12

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Yes but the guy with a mile of scope will not be a problem to you if you anchor off his stern. The problem arises when YOU have a mile of scope and he does not when a 180 occurs.

And yes, the good books of yesterday suggested using a scope of 10. But that is just not feasible in today's crowed harbors.

People always appear to think your boat is lying to your full scope when infact the boat can be anywhere WITHIN that radius in light or no breeze situations....very annoying when the chain stretches out to full scope and makes you look as if your boat has dragged down or anchored too close...GRRRR!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:48   #13
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I never said anything about 10:1 but I do anchor at 8:1. I do it so if weather were to come in I would not have to worry about adjusting my scope past 4:1 because its not possible with others right up my ass. If my safe anchoring somehow gets your panties in a bunch, thats your tough luck. I wont be demonized for 8:1, not gonna happen.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:50   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
In 18 feet of water with the bow 3' off the water your at 21' X 8 (storm scope) = 168' rode. So maybe the guy putting out 180' is possibly the only safe mariner in the anchorage. Plenty of people get this wrong and get grumpy about it.
I used to sail in the North Channel (Georgian Bay, ON). Many of the popular anchorages would get ridiculously packed during summer season. In too many cases it was simply impossible to set out a reasonable rode. Bring on the late day thunderstorm and cue the disaster music .

This is one of the reasons I love sailing Lake Superior; there are very few cruisers out here. It's also one of my growing concerns about heading south to the Caribbean (time coming soon). The idea of anchoring in a crowd turns me off in so many ways.
Old 22-01-2013, 09:52   #15

An you thought anchors themselves were a touchy subject!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor