Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-02-2013, 07:33   #1

Boat: own design double ender strip planked fiberglassed
Super SARCA

During my circumnavigation I stopped at Fremantle Australia and being not completely happy with the anchors I already had, a CQR, Northill Utility and FOB, all 45 pounds, I added a SARCA 45 lb to my inventory. Since then I have used it in many anchorages between Western Australia and Toronto Canada.

All anchors work in good holding conditions but in tougher bottoms, like hard dense stuff with a shallow layer of silt on top, the SARCA has the best chance of catching hold. Flat patterns like the FOB or Danforth have no chance at all because there is not enough weight on the point to penetrate. I have often dived to check how well my anchor has dug in and when you see for yourself it is clear why it works so well. The SARCA design puts virtually the entire weight of the anchor on the point to maximise the chance of digging in and the large surface area accumulates additional weight as it digs. Plough patterns do not do this. In softer stuff like sand and mud the large surface area gives plenty of holding power.

My SARCA is by far my best all around anchor. There is another brand of anchor that has become quite popular here in Florida that has a similar design but it lacks a slotted shank which makes it more likely to become permanently lodged under a ledge of rock or coral.

I have no interest in or relationship with Anchor Right of Australia, I just think that when you find good gear that works you should let others know about it. Ground tackle is one of the most important pieces of gear on a cruising boat. SARCAs don't seem to be very common in this part of the world but I highly recommend people check them out. Anchor Right does not advertise much and their business strategy is to make good gear and let the word spread from satisfied users, and I am one.

Tags
arc