Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2013, 12:28   #16

Boat: own design double ender strip planked fiberglassed
Re: SARCA/super SARCA

I'm not clear by what's meant by "using" the slotted shank, it's part of the design. It might help to have picture of the anchor, I've attached one. If you didn't want that feature you could shackle it below the bulb on the end of the shank so it couldn't slide. But if you have to anchor in a marginal spot like a bit of sand in between coral reefs, you would just increase the risk of getting it stuck and having to dive to get it free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sarca-anchor-1-ss.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	55661  
Old 24-02-2013, 12:32   #17

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertLeask View Post
I'm not clear by what's meant by "using" the slotted shank, it's part of the design. It might help to have picture of the anchor, I've attached one. If you didn't want that feature you could shackle it below the bulb on the end of the shank so it couldn't slide. But if you have to anchor in a marginal spot like a bit of sand in between coral reefs, you would just increase the risk of getting it stuck and having to dive to get it free.
I think people are thinking of, for e.g., the Manson where there is both a slotted shank as well as a separate slot at the shank end for fastening the shackle. I, for one, didn't realize the Sarca apparently doesn't have that option.
Old 24-02-2013, 12:50   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I think people are thinking of, for e.g., the Manson where there is both a slotted shank as well as a separate slot at the shank end for fastening the shackle. I, for one, didn't realize the Sarca apparently doesn't have that option.
It does have the option to block it off like the Manson Boss.

It is an option that would be very rarely, if ever, used in a crusing boat. Some people, and anchor tests, have expressed a very negative view of the slot, but providing it can be locked out, I don't see any great problem.

The reduction in shank strength is slight and presumably the shank will have been beefed up to compensate. The extra shank depth is not a big problem for most bow rollers.
Old 24-02-2013, 15:04   #19
cruiser

Hi Robert, thank you very much for sharing your experience with the forum.

I have stated many times our anchors are certified as Super High Holding Power anchors, this certification is carried world wide under the banner of AMSA, AMSA have now taken over the N.M.S.C. similar to AMASA but regulated all Austraslian marine requirments certification and so on.

All requirments passed by the N.M.S.C. have been acccepted carried and executed by AMSA. if our Sarca trip concept had any flaws there is no way we would have obtained certification. That said.

You would remeber the controversial West Marine anchor test, well one of the major concentrations from our oposition compannies made sure the focus on our trip release was going to be very much part of these tests.

Result after veering, numerous times, 180 turns they could not upset or trip the Sarca, as a result of very respectable holding power figures and were labled in the following sentence, Sarca was a consistant performer,if any anchor came close to being the best all round anchor,the Sarca came close,no mention of self tripping.

Further in the real world,that same old Sarca model saved lives in the Phuket Tsunami , all three boats anchored there never moved with wild 180 degree ripping turns vortexes and the the like ,not one tripped acidently the fantastic old Sarca.Yet after this incredible experience if you look at origional Photo on our web site you wont see another boat unless you look around the rocks.

Understand, that anchor was the origional Sarca anchor, (not the Super Sarca) two differnt beasts but still sporting the automatic re-set trip release,

When Rocna was realeased there was an immediate campaign bought about by them that our trip release would not only weaken the anchor but was dangerous, well years gone by what do we see, a Manson with a slotted shank ,and low and behold a Rocna with a slotted shank.

To combat the ferocious campaign to discredit our trip release we then offerd to the customers a stainless bolt with a nylock nut so as you could lock of the trip release if you felt there was some truth in the scare mongering, I notice Manson have the same set up in the boss and claim it is patented , sorry fellars, plenty of documented evidence in now many forums going back seven years.

Yu are probably better to exercise this through the Excel thread as comment by Bullwinkle of whom has had considerable experience with our trip release could enlighten you that this concept of the Sarca is full proof when it comes to tripping the anchor out and dragging rearward, doesn't happen, it will react no different than a fixed shackle hole on common anchors when or if the Sarca is summersulted.

Sorry about the spelling it is not my strongest point.

Regards Rex.
Old 24-02-2013, 15:58   #20

Boat: Able 50

I'm still not clear on anchorages with strong tides. What will a Super Sarca do when the current turns 180 degrees ? It's hard to believe that it will just sit there with the chain pulling on the other end of the slot.
Old 24-02-2013, 17:18   #21
cruiser

Savoir,

Thanks for your question, to explain the trip release on the Super Sarca would simply spark another debate that would linger , as explained on the above post, I think its long legasy of performance near on over twenty years is a great testimate as to the incredible Super Sarca, there has never been a report of the Sarca dragging rearward, if you look at the dvd posted on one of these threads it shows you how the trip release is employed, it will not trip or drag rearward, think of how your current anchor works in 180 degree turn, difference being at the worst, if the chain should slide to the rear a down ward force over the rear is applied as the chain is now laying back.

Note the Sarca is very broad across the back, this creats a wedging effect, as the chain pulls form the oppossite direction down ward force is applied over the hoop forcing the broad section down, the only way you can employ the sarca to pull--trip rearward is to come directally above ,take up all of the slack and motor forward, the instant the anchor is released the shackle then slams back to it,s operating position.

If you are still not convinced simply fit a bolt to lock it off. We would sell close to five thousand Super Sarca's a year covering all different sizes, cyclones ,storms ,cruisers world wide, stories keep coming in from all over the world congradulating us on Sarca's design, never have we been sujected to a rear drag instant because of our automatic reset trip release. keep in mind we were around long before the new concave design that are now seemingly adapting our concept.

Watch this space as the Excel gains momentum.

Regards Rex.

CEO of Anchor Right Australia.
Old 24-02-2013, 17:32   #22

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Someone on another forum is trying to organize a group purchase of Anchor Right products in order to get a bulk shipping rate from Australia.
That's me. If we can get a full pallet there is no reason why the net cost to the buyers here in North America needs to be any higher than any other competitive model. Rex is willing to work with us on the pricing because he wants to see some of his anchors here but the real key is getting enough anchors piled on one pallet to make the freight work. If anyone on this thread is seriously interested, PM me.
Old 24-02-2013, 17:39   #23

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I'm still not clear on anchorages with strong tides. What will a Super Sarca do when the current turns 180 degrees ? It's hard to believe that it will just sit there with the chain pulling on the other end of the slot.
I can't tell where you are Savoir but we get 10 foot or greater tidal changes here and I've never had any problems. This topic has been hashed out ad nauseum as a Google search will reveal. The short answer to your question is "its not a problem".

And FWIW I think I tripped mine when I pulled it the last time. I was anchored in a very muddy bottom for an extended period of time. My winch wouldn't trip it when I went to lift it so I sat over top of the anchor for maybe 5 minutes occasionally taking up the slack in the chain. Eventually it popped loose and when it got to the surface it was absolutely clean which is unusual for it. So I don't know that the chain slid up the slot and pulled it out backwards but I certainly think it did. If that was what happened it was completely transparent to me. I just did what I normally do when I retrieve the anchor.
Old 24-02-2013, 17:42   #24

My current anchor is a Super Sarca but I have only had the boat a year and never anchored yet in big tide. I can vouch for its holding in mud.

If you want to do me a favour then bring out a 30 kg model. The bigger one was too big for my bow fitting so I had to take the 25 kg which is right on the limit for a 50 footer. So far I have not tested it in high wind.

To bobofthenorth - I'm in Narragansett Bay where the tides are only around 4 ft. Next summer I'm off to Nova Scotia and the great anchoring unknown.
Old 24-02-2013, 19:23   #25
cruiser

Re: Super SARCA

Savoir, yes given the draft weight and windage of your boat style you are pushing it a bit with the No 7 Sarca, one thing you should always keep in mind when choosing an anchor, make sure it is well within the scope of correct spec's, secondly keep in mind the correct size, that is one up for you is built stronger in all proporsion to cope with the extra loads.

Our spec's are based largely on survey requirments that is how our anchor sizing is calculated, remember our anchors are all accredited with Super High Holding Power certification, it is my responsibility now that you have bought it to light to advise.

Well I suppose you can look on the bright side at least we recommend the correct size anchor, not two sizes larger like some designs.

I will offer my opinion, if you are taking of to those destinations I would upgrade your bow roller to suit the next size as you are boarder line in holding power and anchor strength with the No 7.

Further just a query, is there somone there watching me post as before the ink dries I seem to slip dow the order strangely fast,where as if I dont post the previuos entries just seem to hang there. Rather odd or just a co incidence.

Regards Rex.

Old 24-02-2013, 21:01   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Robert Leask wrote:

If you didn't want that feature you could shackle it below the bulb on the end of the shank so it couldn't slide. But if you have to anchor in a marginal spot like a bit of sand in between coral reefs, you would just increase the risk of getting it stuck and having to dive to get it free.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi Robert certainly not, the bulb as you call it is to prevent the D shackle from sliding underneath, if this happened the throat opening would be substancialy lowerd to the point you need approx 8 to one to make the Sarca dig in.

Further if the shackle slid back down the shank it would jam because of the taper on this under side, a french magazine did a test on the Sarca when the spade was launched, Voiley or something it was called, gave the Sarca a terrible rap, when zooming up the photo of the Sarca during the test you could clearley see the the D shackle was fitted to the underside and Jamed at the base of the shank.

Any way after many emails to them to remove the damaging report my request fell on deaf ears. the Rocna camp sported it on their web site and posted it at evey opportunity. Again my emails to them fell on deaf ears, sadly I think that anchor test still lives on their web site.

So deafinately not, D shackle must be fitted with the shackle pin through the shank above the the shackle stop so as it can run down the top rail.

Regards Rex.
CEOof Anchor Right Australia.
Old 24-02-2013, 21:04   #27

My displacement is fairly light at 40,000 lbs with full tanks and the deck is flush but for the dodger. Plenty of 50's are higher and heavier than mine. The old anchor was a 30 kg CQR so I figured a 30 kg Sarca would do the business . . . . . only there isn't one.

Anyway the bow surgery isn't huge - just cutting off one of those crash bar thingys.
Old 24-02-2013, 21:47   #28
cruiser

Hi Savoir,

Yes well I would make the change as you are definately just under spec with the No7 I would be more than happy for you to return the No 7 and upgrade just for the difference of the No 8. anyway we would be prepared to help you what ever the case. Best to Email me.

Regards Rex.

Old 24-02-2013, 22:37   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo View Post
Result after veering, numerous times, 180 turns they could not upset or trip the Sarca, as a result of very respectable holding power figures and were labled in the following sentence, Sarca was a consistant performer,if any anchor came close to being the best all round anchor,the Sarca came close,no mention of self tripping.
It is great to see anchor manufacturers participating in the forum but we need to maintain some objectivity and keep the claims realistic.

There were a number of different journalists at the "west marine" test that Rex is referring too. So there are several different write ups of the same data. I have put some links to a couple below so you can read the whole report and judge for yourselves how the Sarca performed.

http://www.alberg37.org/Project%20DB...AnchorTest.pdf
The ideal anchor will hold in
every seabed and the Sarca certainly deserves credit for coming close.
It may not have as much holding
power as other roll-bar anchors, but it was a consistent performer.

Bill Springer's Boat Blog: Which Anchor Holds Best? 14 Anchors Are Put To The Test

On every 5:1 pull at all three locations it set quickly, but never recorded holding power over 3,000 pounds. The data shows it consistently held between 1,500 and 3,000 pounds before dragging and releasing. Similar numbers were recorded after the 3:1 pull. The anchor’s setting consistency deserves a high rating but several other anchors we tested set with similar consistency and held considerable more load and the Sarca’s bulky design could be troublesome on a bow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	55693   Click image for larger version

Name:	6DDE1683-89CE-4C95-8035-342FC7D87A58-5072-00000853C4D1FBD4.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	55694  

Old 24-02-2013, 23:27   #30

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I like the idea of the slotted shank on the Sarca and the Mansons, I have dropped anchor in a few places where I have been very concerned it might not come back up. Anything to avoid having to use a tripping line or diving sounds real good to me. I am surprised the slot was removed from the Sarca Excel.

If I was in a place with regular wind or tidal shifts and possible access to a diver or replacement anchor I just wouldn't use it.

Tags
arc