Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 06:41   #31

Re: Snap shackle or carabiner for the end of my bridle

Note some mooring fields (Gulfport, FL) state in their rules that you are not to attach anything but rope to the pendent eye as metal will cut into the plastic eye and could cause sharp spots in the pendent eye.
The most efficient method I have seen seems to be looping from each side. As someone mentioned, get one side connected and then take your time to connect the other and center the boat.
Happy Sailing!!
Taylor

S/V Cat Tales
TaylorO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 16:49   #32

Boat: Allweather 26

I have used the Mantus mooring hook for a little while on my mooring and am very impressed. It is heavy duty and I don't see how it could come undone.
fritzdfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:31   #33

Boat: Catalina 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Am trying to make things easier for attaching to a mooring on my catamaran. I use a bridle, a line attached to the 2 bow cleats.

For moorings, I normally take a line, double it, and then take the lines through the looped end through the mooring ring and bring each end back a bow cleat. The issue is that when leaving in the morning, it is sometimes difficult to loosen this line at the ring. (Sometimes I just pass the end of the line through the ring so it can slide, but I am afraid that friction against the line will saw through it).

I was thinking that either a snap shackle or carabiner would make life easier, but am concerned that either they won't lock well, or could open under stress.

For instance Mantus has this carabiner, but it looks like it could easily open
https://www.mantusmarine.com/product/carabiner/

Was thinking about a snap shackle or possibly a climbing carabiner, but not sure how strong one I would need.

Appreciate if anyone has comments on using this type of HW, and if so, what size (20 k lbs loaded 38' cat). Thanks.
I've used the Mantus carabiner for over 3 years, works great, super easy to use. Never had a problem with it.
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 13:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzdfk View Post
I have used the Mantus mooring hook for a little while on my mooring and am very impressed. It is heavy duty and I don't see how it could come undone.

I just ordered two of these with the plan to attach a 25' 3/4 nylon 3 braid line to each hull (catamaran with rings used for the anchor bridle). I'll replace the anchor bridle with this set up and clip both to a mooring (I'll also have a backup line looped through to a cleat).

I'll figure out a way to also use these same clips on the anchor chain as a bridle.

My thought is that this will give good redunfanct.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 14:42   #35

Nothing like a good redunfanct!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 15:01   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Nothing like a good redunfanct!

Yeah that was a fun phone word! 😎
Old 04-07-2019, 15:06   #37

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Since most mooring balls have a pendant, we tie a line to each bow cleat (2). We then run the bitter end through the loop on the pendant and back to the same cleat that line is tied to on the bow.

There is no 'sawing' when done this way. Each loop is static This allows us to untie the lines from the cleat and retrieve the bitter end when dropping the ball. It makes picking up and dropping moorings extremely easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Like this:
Another vote for this system on a mooring.

I do use a carabineer for my bridle to chain when on the anchor.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2019, 15:13   #38

Boat: Armstrong 42' Catamaran

I use snap shackles on the bridle from each hull. this is backed up by the long pendant spliced to the bouy - thus I will need 3 points of failure. The pendant is left loose but cleated, it is needed to pull the mooring (with the capstan) in for attachment & release of the bridles (my mooring is in a tidel current & exposed to wind & waves)
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:36   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Dave View Post
I use snap shackles on the bridle from each hull. this is backed up by the long pendant spliced to the bouy - thus I will need 3 points of failure. The pendant is left loose but cleated, it is needed to pull the mooring (with the capstan) in for attachment & release of the bridles (my mooring is in a tidel current & exposed to wind & waves)
This is my plan as well. Though I'm wondering if I'll miss the doubled back nylon line's stretching properties. We'll see how much the new setup jerks.
Old 07-07-2019, 14:52   #40

Boat: Armstrong 42' Catamaran

Video of her in rough weather (starts at 1 min in). The weight of the mooring chain damps the shock loading a lot.
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridle