Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2023, 06:53   #1

Rocna Vulcan - bow strike on retrieval

Looking for some collected wisdom/problem solving and maybe someone has already solved this issue.

We have a Hallberg-Rassy 46 with a relatively new Rocna Vulcan 40. Overall we love the setting and holding performance of the anchor. We do not currently use a swivel.

The issue is on retrieval, just as the anchor touches the bow roller it swings backward far enough to strike the bow plate (which if you know this boat, is pretty far since there’s a pretty good overhang). This happens even if babying the windlass and the anchor is oriented correctly.

There is a stainless steel plate on the bow, but I’m still worried about dinging the plate or the anchor tip or both. I’ve thought about using a boat hook to try to push the tip away, or a line tied to the trip hole, but neither of those is convenient.

Any ideas?
brettnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2023, 07:25   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Rocna Vulcan - bow strike on retrieval

Mantus makes a thing called an Anchor Guard... and it looks like it would at least stop the strikes. Might also make the anchor stow a little better.

We have one -- medium size, and Mantus advises that should be right for our Vulcan 40.
I haven't installed it yet... the mounting hole is 9/16" and our forward roller sides on a 5/8" axle bolt... so I'm hoping to ream the Anchor Guard hole a bit so we can retain our 5/8" shaft.

-Chris
Old 21-06-2023, 07:56   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The Hallberg-Rassy 46 doesn’t have an anchor sprit so the roller is too close to the bow. I bet they designed it for a specific anchor that works with that.

The extension suggested by Ranger may be the solution for you

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 07:07   #4

Jedi and Ranger - thanks for your quick replies. I think the Mantus idea is brilliant. Unfortunately, when I got back on board the boat, I realized that the bow roller assembly is actually flush with the the bow, and the anchor guard requires several inches of overhang to attach. So, I’m back to the drawing board!
Old 22-06-2023, 08:00   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Just bend on a bigger sheet of stainless steel at the bow. Then you will have a real cruising boat.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 08:08   #6

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Since the area of potential contact is small, perhaps a small, sacrificial strike plate could be placed on top of the existing stem plate.

It appears that your stem is relatively straight, which means the additional plate could be simply folded at the appropriate angle (no compound curves) and glued in place with 5200.

I would not worry about damaging the anchor itself. The toe will see much worse abuse from rocks on the bottom.
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 08:39   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Zoom in the picture to see our 30” anchor sprit and the vertical bow, that still gets dinged to need little repairs every year

It also shows how the snubber goes through a chock instead of over the roller, as well as how much slack chain we set.

That tarp ashore in the background…. that’s Colombian soldiers lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1039.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	277119  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 09:24   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettnkay View Post
Jedi and Ranger - thanks for your quick replies. I think the Mantus idea is brilliant. Unfortunately, when I got back on board the boat, I realized that the bow roller assembly is actually flush with the the bow, and the anchor guard requires several inches of overhang to attach. So, I’m back to the drawing board!
Mantus also makes some bow rollers; maybe have a look to see if replacement -- with however much overhang you want -- might be possible?

Probably some other manufacturers have similar products you could investigate...

-Chris
Old 22-06-2023, 09:30   #9

Panope, Jedi, Ranger - thank you. Panope love your videos! I think we are going to rig a temporary sacrificial strike plate, and then investigate a custom bow pulpit extension. Got a lead on a designer from Attainable Adventure Cruising.

Panope I'm glad to hear you think the anchor won't be damaged. We do have a small blunting of the tip already happened, I am not sure if it is from the retrieval or from the time we attempted to anchor in rock up in Howe Sound. For now I'll assume it was the rocks!

I'll post a picture of our temporary solution when I have it (for entertainment value because it will be ugly).
Old 22-06-2023, 11:52   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Just remember that when your anchor gets stuck under a rock in a seaway, something has to give. If you put an extension on the roller it has to be built damn strong--no cantilevers.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:21   #11

Yes, that’s right, build it strong, my 60 kilo anchor makes contact too and I sometimes have to repair the ding damage. I don’t have a good solution..a 40 kilo anchor does not cause this problem.
I like dumping my oversize anchor and getting an immediate set. It’s good practice for bad conditions.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna