Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2011, 09:39   #31

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Rocna Size

I own a Manson Supreme 35 and Rocna 20 (44lbs) (Canadian) and one difference is the Manson profile is higher due to the slot and hoop which adds material above the shank (makes it stronger) so even though my Manson is 9# lighter it has about the same height mounted on the roller. That's my limiting factor due to interference with the sprit, so I can carry a bigger Rocna and use it as my primary. (No such thing as too much anchor when it's 0-dark-hundred and a squall moves in.)

Other than that, the Manson has a much sharper tip and I believe it would penetrate weed or hard clay better. That said, I have never had a situation where the Rocna didn't penetrate and set right away. There is no other difference in performance, IMHO. They're both great anchors.

Suffice it to say my experience with Chinese manufacturing quality can be summed up in one word: "Variable". For that reason (if not for cost) and mounting considerations aside -- all else equal I'd choose a Manson today. BTW I would never use that stupid slot.

SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:28   #32

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Why not use the "stupid slot" for a tripline on a float?
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:37   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Because if I felt the need for a tripline I'd like to know it will work, not that it might work.
Old 23-04-2011, 13:43   #34

Boat: N/M 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Has anyone cut-off the 'stupid slot' (which I agree, is silly/stupid) and re-galvanized the anchor?

I wonder why the slot was added, in the first place.

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:42   #35

Boat: Trismus 37

The "Stupid Slot" was put there for use in rocky anchorages, if the anchor fouls you are supposed to be able to reverse direction over the anchor and the chain will slide to the base end of the slot allowing the anchor to be retrieved backwards.
After giving Manson a hard time about the slot for some time Rocna then proceeded to make some of theirs with the slot as well, go figure! I'm sure the slot could be cut off but you would have a regalv job on your hands if you did. It doesn't cause any harm and doesn't weaken the anchor. Most of the discussion re these anchors is mostly academic, Get one, use it, then report on it, nothing like first hand experience.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 19:07   #36

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I own a Manson Supreme 35 and Rocna 20 (44lbs) (Canadian) and one difference is the Manson profile is higher due to the slot and hoop which adds material above the shank (makes it stronger) so even though my Manson is 9# lighter it has about the same height mounted on the roller.
Doesn't the Dragonfly 1200 have a bow sprit with platform on it with the roller in the middle? Don't the roll bars on the Rocna and Manson block the anchor from retrieving all the way?
Old 23-04-2011, 19:50   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Doesn't the Dragonfly 1200 have a bow sprit with platform on it with the roller in the middle? Don't the roll bars on the Rocna and Manson block the anchor from retrieving all the way?
Yes sprit. No platform. When lowered the sprit just barely clears the top of the hoop. No interference. The Rocna 20 and Manon 35 hoop are about the same height.
Old 23-04-2011, 19:52   #38

Boat: N/M 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
The "Stupid Slot" was put there for use in rocky anchorages, if the anchor fouls you are supposed to be able to reverse direction over the anchor and the chain will slide to the base end of the slot allowing the anchor to be retrieved backwards.
Get one, use it, then report on it, nothing like first hand experience.
Thanks for the info on the slot - does not your suggestion require that the anchor shackle be installed in the slot, rather than in the hole at the end of the shank?

I have (and have used) a Rocna 25, it's been on the boat for 5 years now and it's worked very well for me in various anchorages between San Francisco and Cabo San Lucas. Can't speak to the Manson as I don't own one.

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 20:02   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
I pefer the Rocna simply because Peter came up with the design and I believe he should benefit from that design - however I would not purchase a cast anchor built in China - I have seen too many Chinese-cast Bruce knock-off anchors break due to casting flaws to trust my boat to a Chinese manufactured casting. No matter how good the China guys are, they have some work to do to regain my trust.

If you can source a non-cast Rocna built in New Zealand (Rocna) or in Canad (Suncoast Marine) then I would buy that anchor. If you can't, then purchase a Manson Supreme built in New Zealand.

At least that's my two cents... but it's YOUR boat. Choose the anchor that you prefer.

- rob/beetle
I repeat what I've said on other thread here: If you don't want to buy made in China products, you'll go naked, without computer, phone, cellphone, TV, recorder, toothpaste, food, most of your car etc etc etc... 85% of all the products available to us in the USA are made in China, even, and foremost, when we are talking about US brand
So why not an NZ anchor
I really don't get it
Old 23-04-2011, 20:03   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
Thanks for the info on the slot - does not your suggestion require that the anchor shackle be installed in the slot, rather than in the hole at the end of the shank?
snip- rob/beetle
Yes it does. If that slot really works (and I have doubts it would work reliably in rocks) it should also do a good job of causing the anchor to un-set and drag in event of a reversal of current and/or wind. Isn't that a reassuring "feature"? That's why I'd never use it.
Old 23-04-2011, 21:33   #41

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Randy View Post
Does anyone know if the Rocna's sold through West Marine are the China made? How do yo tell the difference by looking at the anchor where it is made.

Thanks
Randy
Randy, if the name is cast imprinted on the bottom of the anchor, it is made in China. The issue does not appear to be the Chinese using steel other than specified by Rocna, but Rocna specifying mild steel rather than what they tell folks they are using. Since the shank is of a thickness that will easily bend if made of mild steel, the question is whether all Chinese Rocnas are made with substandard materials, or just some. From what I can see, it will prove to be all, but that story will probably be told pretty soon. I would be shocked if distributors and retailers of this product are not doing their own testing to verify Manson's results, if only to avoid the liability of selling a safety product that is not made to spec. Hard to understand why someone would buy this product until this situation is clarified.
Old 23-04-2011, 21:43   #42

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Because if I felt the need for a tripline I'd like to know it will work, not that it might work.
Roger that!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 22:01   #43

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Randy, if the name is cast imprinted on the bottom of the anchor, it is made in China. The issue does not appear to be the Chinese using steel other than specified by Rocna, but Rocna specifying mild steel rather than what they tell folks they are using. Since the shank is of a thickness that will easily bend if made of mild steel, the question is whether all Chinese Rocnas are made with substandard materials, or just some. From what I can see, it will prove to be all, but that story will probably be told pretty soon. I would be shocked if distributors and retailers of this product are not doing their own testing to verify Manson's results, if only to avoid the liability of selling a safety product that is not made to spec. Hard to understand why someone would buy this product until this situation is clarified.
Hi I am wondering where you get the information that Rocna are using a steel of a poorer quality than that advertised. I ask as an owner of a Rocna. I look forward to your response.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 05:07   #44

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Hi I am wondering where you get the information that Rocna are using a steel of a poorer quality than that advertised.
The information is in this other thread.
Old 24-04-2011, 06:41   #45

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
The issue does not appear to be the Chinese using steel other than specified by Rocna, but Rocna specifying mild steel rather than what they tell folks they are using.
I have not seen any evidence in support of this statement. Have you?

In either case, Rocna is responsible for the quality of their product.

Tags
anchor, rocna