Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2018, 10:21   #46

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Re-Anchoring (Just before Dark)

I wonder if they changed the roll bar to a flat plate and twisted it 90° from one side to the other so it presented the broadside on one side transitioning to narrow edge on the other, if this could encourage it to flip if it dragged upside down. Not sure how it would run through the bow rollers but a spiral in the arm would do the job too.

Going back and looking at the images of the new anchors I could imagine them pulling along upside down in the right consistency mud.

It would be a nightmare to design an anchor for every event.
Old 18-07-2018, 11:05   #47

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
And sometimes folks UTILIZE the advantages of the new gen anchors because they ARE experienced.
Great, but my experience here shows me I don't need one yet.

See post #1. This isn't helping with my beauty rest.

Maybe I'll take my wire brush to the rusty shackle that connects the chain to the rope rode tonight just for some peace of mind
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 15:14   #48

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thomm,

It's possible that that Bruce was bought as a replacement for the CQR-type. When we changed to a Bruce from a CQR-type, we found that it set easier, faster than the plow. I don't know if this would be a factor for Chesapeake mud. It made a noticeable difference between SF and Mexico. It became our primary anchor for a while.

Don't know if you're aware, though, that when the hole gets really worn, the CQR will not hold well, till it has been repaired. The failure mode is to start dragging, like in a stronger puff, at zero dark thirty. Friends with a worn one began dragging, repaired it, and are still using it. It is a genuine CQR, and they are from the north of England.

Ann
Old 18-07-2018, 15:35   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Thomm,

It's possible that that Bruce was bought as a replacement for the CQR-type. When we changed to a Bruce from a CQR-type, we found that it set easier, faster than the plow. I don't know if this would be a factor for Chesapeake mud. It made a noticeable difference between SF and Mexico. It became our primary anchor for a while.

Don't know if you're aware, though, that when the hole gets really worn, the CQR will not hold well, till it has been repaired. The failure mode is to start dragging, like in a stronger puff, at zero dark thirty. Friends with a worn one began dragging, repaired it, and are still using it. It is a genuine CQR, and they are from the north of England.

Ann
Thanks Ann.

I've been thinking about starting to use the Bruce (possibly a replica) instead of my old worn CQR. Plus the Bruce is attached to new rode (rope and chain) and has a new shackle and no swivel.

It's just that the CQR saved me when I first got the boat (2011) in terrible conditions due to my inexperience with anchoring overnight near the ocean exposed

I'd be in 20-30 knot onshore winds 70 yards from the beach that had turn SE during the night and hoping at 3 am the anchor held...this at Kiptopeke.

Best shown here in the Southern part near the ocean

http://goldenwestway.com/Live-Marine-Traffic.php

But if I buy this Pearson 10m I will definitely have to get another anchor....the boat is 12,400# and has a little lunch hook on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02014.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	173821   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02018.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	173822  

Old 18-07-2018, 15:40   #50

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you think you might like to buy a new anchor, you might want to take a look at Panope's thread "Videos of Anchors Setting", if you haven't already done so. Noelex also has a thread called "Pictures of Anchors Setting", which I found quite instructive.

Ann
Old 18-07-2018, 15:43   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If you think you might like to buy a new anchor, you might want to take a look at Panope's thread "Videos of Anchors Setting", if you haven't already done so. Noelex also has a thread called "Pictures of Anchors Setting", which I found quite instructive.

Ann
Awesome thanks. I'm leaning toward Mantus from what I've read.

Btw, now I hide behind the cement ships during heavy weather even though the water is deeper and the current is really strong there
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kiptopeke.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	173823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghost-Ship-Jetty-1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	173824  

Old 18-07-2018, 15:50   #52

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Thanks Ann.

I've been thinking about starting to use the Bruce (possibly a replica) instead of my old worn CQR. Plus the Bruce is attached to new rode (rope and chain) and has a new shackle and no swivel.

It's just that the CQR saved me when I first got the boat (2011) in terrible conditions due to my inexperience with anchoring overnight near the ocean exposed

I'd be in 20-30 knot onshore winds 70 yards from the beach that had turn SE during the night and hoping at 3 am the anchor held...this at Kiptopeke.

Best shown here in the Southern part near the ocean

http://goldenwestway.com/Live-Marine-Traffic.php

But if I buy this Pearson 10m I will definitely have to get another anchor....the boat is 12,400# and has a little lunch hook on it
A clarification:Our friends with the worn old CQR had trouble with its initial setting, but once set, it held normally. I think this is due to the worn hinge allowing the plow part to address the seabed at the wrong angle and failing to initiate the burying. But once buried, it held. In soft mud, I think it will sink deep enough that burying will continue, and the problem not exist.

Second, while we found a Bruce of the same size to be better in the sandy bottoms we were anchoring in, its main advantage was in quick setting, not greater holding power. Various tests have shown Bruce anchors to have less ultimate holding than many other designs in softer substrates, so some experimentation will be in order w hen you make the switch.

Jim
Old 18-07-2018, 16:00   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A clarification:Our friends with the worn old CQR had trouble with its initial setting, but once set, it held normally. I think this is due to the worn hinge allowing the plow part to address the seabed at the wrong angle and failing to initiate the burying. But once buried, it held. In soft mud, I think it will sink deep enough that burying will continue, and the problem not exist.

Second, while we found a Bruce of the same size to be better in the sandy bottoms we were anchoring in, its main advantage was in quick setting, not greater holding power. Various tests have shown Bruce anchors to have less ultimate holding than many other designs in softer substrates, so some experimentation will be in order w hen you make the switch.

Jim
Okay, Thanks.

As I said earlier, it's a lot easier to brag on your anchor sitting at a keyboard than 5-6 boat lengths dead ahead of a $150,000 sailboat and depending on an old anchor, rope rode, and chain with a rusty shackle
Old 19-07-2018, 15:43   #54

Boat: Tartan 40

I had a 33 lb Bruce on my last boat (luders 33) and it set great on Chesapeake and slow dragged in squalls over 30 knots through soft mud
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 15:49   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I had a 33 lb Bruce on my last boat (luders 33) and it set great on Chesapeake and slow dragged in squalls over 30 knots through soft mud
You shoulda had a CQR. No drag in squalls. It was mentioned earlier that a Bruce will set quickly but may drag at times

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02025.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	173874   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02028.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	173875  

Name:	DSC02044.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	173876  
Old 19-07-2018, 18:50   #56

Boat: Tartan 40

Nah, I’d rather have anchor with less chance of dragging on reset. But I changed to a Mantus. I’ve played anchoring russian roulette with CQR many times in the past on prior boats.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 20:41   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re-Anchoring (Just before Dark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I wonder if they changed the roll bar to a flat plate and twisted it 90° from one side to the other so it presented the broadside on one side transitioning to narrow edge on the other, if this could encourage it to flip if it dragged upside down. Not sure how it would run through the bow rollers but a spiral in the arm would do the job too.

Going back and looking at the images of the new anchors I could imagine them pulling along upside down in the right consistency mud.

It would be a nightmare to design an anchor for every event.

You could also attach a float to the shank that would force it to orient float side up.
However as has been noted, if I make sure we are making way in reverse, the hydrodynamic forces will force it to be oriented correctly. I know this, I discovered it a couple of years ago, if your in reverse the anchor will always be oriented correctly to come on the bow roller, you won’t need a Boat hook to move it around or hold it etc.
That day there was no wind to blow us backward, and I didn’t have the Wife reverse us, I just dropped it with a bunch of chain , reversed a little to get to started to set in the mud and quit. That night or really in the morning the anchor alarm went off, and rather than getting out in the dark and wind and rain and raise and reset the anchor, I was just letting more scope out, one reason was I knew I was in soupy mud, and didn’t want my locker full of that, so that adds washing chain off to the list of tasks.
I was just being lazy, figured enough scope on a 40 kg Rocna on a 38’ Boat would have to hold. We weren’t in a Hurricane after all.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 04:44   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Nah, I’d rather have anchor with less chance of dragging on reset. But I changed to a Mantus. I’ve played anchoring russian roulette with CQR many times in the past on prior boats.
I've been pricing (and sizing) the Mantus Anchor also but have not bought yet.

Hopefully my CQR will hang in there for a while longer. I have started inspecting it and wire brushing it's upper rusty shackle after every "cruise"

I'm still trying to decide whether to get this Pearson 10M which will really point well etc or to just stay with my old Bristol 27 that I'm really starting to learn now after 7 years. I can buy a lot of anchors for the price of two slip fees

Meaning if I don't get that second boat which also needs stuff including a decent anchor buying better equipment for the Bristol won't be a problem.
Old 23-07-2018, 07:44   #59

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Despite the horrible reputation and many reviews saying it should be tossed overboard and left, nearly every single boat in this Texas marina has one, including me, along with two other anchors.
Apparently these anchors work and work well for muddy conditions.

It's not that the CQR has a "horrible" rep, but it hasn't proven as good in some grounds as newer types. I am a believer in having more than one anchor, and that those anchors should possess opposing attributes. Our main anchor is a 30 kg. SPADE, a plow type with a weighted tip; this tip favours resetting. But our secondary is a Fortress FX-37, a Danforth-style anchor with "mud palms" and a wide fluke area pointy enough to slice into mud and through all but the thickest grass. A CQR could have a role in this; I may keep our 45 pound model as a spare. Certainly no one on the Great Lakes seems to be in a hurry to chuck theirs out.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 13:05   #60

Boat: Whitby 55

I'll tell ya a story about an event here in Fiji a month ago. It was just outside Suva Royal YC. The anchorage is not well protected from the south and even worse from the SW. A front was coming through but the computer models were saying the winds and system was going to part around an island south of us and go around. I felt that was BS so I asked a local who normally leaves the anchorage when weather comes. He wasn't worried so I stayed put.

I was down below watching a movie with crew and the wind did a 180 shift to blow from the W. Not strong but enough to catch my attention. I went out into the cockpit to watch the anchorage. About 5 minutes later another wind shift came...from the S and it hit hard. I was heeled over about 15 degrees. I knew this was going to be bad so I stayed and watched all the madness in the anchorage.

4 sailboats including a superyatch and 2 ships ended up grounded. The superyatch and one of the sailboats got themselves off but the other two cried on the radio a long time for help.

The next day I went around and chatted with those who dragged and those who didn't. Everybody (about 6 boats) dragged that had an old style anchor and everybody who had a modern anchor did not. Bulwagga, Rocna, Ultra, and Manson Supreme held. 3 CQRs (including one that is 3 sizes larger than recommended), Bruce and danforth all dragged.

As others said, most if not all anchors hold and set most of the time, but the new gen anchors hold and set a lot better and you will have less problems. I did my own test on setting in a hard sand coral shell mix and the only two of the 9 anchors I tested, the Bulwagga and Mantus set. Even the Manson Supreme and Spade dragged. There is a reason the new gen anchors were made, because we needed better anchors.
FranklinGray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring