Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2011, 11:08   #31

Re: Plastimo Kobra 2 Anchor

I'm sure it will be fine - seen good reports from other users on the YBW forum.
RoseofWight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 11:19   #32

Boat: Gib sea 43

Fingers crossed, my only problem was i hoped to get the 25kg one, but found it was just too big to fit on the roller! now to find the best for 60m of 10mm long link chain...
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:46   #33

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

We changed our 16kg Brittany (FOB) for a 16kg KOBRA this season on our 38 ft Athena catamaran and from 6 weeks of our own use and reports back from a the charters so far this season, the KOBRA really seems to perform well in Croatian waters. Its particularly good in grass covered bottoms. Just need to ease the anchor in to allow it to start to dig in and then it will work up to holding with full reverse from two 30 HP engines. Have not yet found a bottom it does not hold in. Excellent value for £100.
The Brittany was ok (must have been for 8 years of chartering) but did not set reliably. While you have to treat anchor reviews with caution, so far the KOBRA performance seems a major improvement over the Brittany as the reviews suggest.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:03   #34

Boat: Gib sea 43

I can add after using the anchor , it sets easy and holds well.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 14:24   #35
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Steven, new generation anchors i.e Mantus Anchors, Manson Supreme, Rocna, Spade show unquestionably better setting ability in firmer bottoms. My disclosure is that I am the founder of Mantus Anchors and we did extensive testing on anchors ability to penetrate the bottom and set. You can see the videos on our website that show how different anchors perform. I would strongly recommend doing a little more research.
Greg
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 08:55   #36

Boat: Lagoon 440

Agree totally with your comments we use a KOBRA 35KG with 12mm chain as we slowly start the set the chain straightens and lifts from the bow roller usually making the admiral brace herself from falling forward.

In muddy sand or sandy mud with heavy growth of weed it doesnt miss.

We usually have to motor till directly above it to get it to break out. We have been in 35 knots anchored and it was immovable HOWEVER we see Spades, plows and CQR'S having to be reset many times with a percentage of triers giving up and going elsewhere, probably a Quay.....

So far so good ...
Old 21-06-2012, 10:25   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
HOWEVER we see Spades, plows and CQR'S having to be reset many times with a percentage of triers giving up and going elsewhere, probably a Quay.....
Croatia certainly has some very weedy anchorages. I crused Croatia before there were many new generation anchors, but I am surprised the Spade does as poorly as you have noted.
The Spade does seem a bit inconsistent in weed. It's high tip weight, but very thick design seems to penetrate some weed, but struggles with other types. The Kobra 2 is good in weed, but poor in a very soft substrate.
I think anyone based in Croatia is in a great position to judge the weed perforformance of the modern anchors. I agree the CQR is terrible, but there is a lot of anchors you have not mentioned. How would you rate them?
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 10:40   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Croatia certainly has some very weedy anchorages. I crused Croatia before there were many new generation anchors, but I am surprised the Spade does as poorly as you have noted.
The Spade does seem a bit inconsistent in weed. It's high tip weight, but very thick design seems to penetrate some weed, but struggles with other types. The Kobra 2 is good in weed, but poor in a very soft substrate.
I think anyone based in Croatia is in a great position to judge the weed perforformance of the modern anchors. I agree the CQR is terrible, but there is a lot of anchors you have not mentioned. How would you rate them?
You know what the hardest thing about making a judgement on the performance of the anchors is that it's complicated by the total ineptitude of the people that they rent these boats to.
We sit at anchor drinks in hand watching the parody, they drop depth and that's it no scope.
They let it all hang out in a pile complete with scope in a pile.
They try to pick up your anchor float thinking it's a mooring.
They anchor on top of you not understanding your boat's tackle is somewhere tween your boat and float.
Largely they are Hungarian, Russian, German or Polish. We have no trouble at all with owner boats they tend to anchor correctly but the dominant renters are crap so really i cannot give a call because it would be unfair.
What i do know is the KOBRA is very good, we stick to our procedure and only once we had to re-anchor, i think i went too quick on the set, this anchor prefers a bit of gentleness for the initial dig in.
Cruisers here seem to have Spades mostly. Charter yachts have every type but it dont help.
I had to ask one to move forward so i could get my anchor from beneath him, he refused to re-anchor so i did BUT he was on top, total brain deads!!! Arrogant as well.
Old 21-06-2012, 11:10   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the comments. Yes I agree you need to alow for how well the anchor is deployed, but if it is well set it is a good anchor. If poorly set you can get get some clue by seeing the scope and drag marks, but it is better if you have seen the boat anchoring.
I also like to dive on the anchors of boats around me. In weed it can be very hard just finding the anchor when diving. Once it's found you need to dive down to the bottom, an anchor that's barely visible can be very poorly set, just sitting on the bottom, but the weed obscures the anchor and makes its look like its buried.

In today's anchorage in Greece with soft sand the results our anchorage are my Rocna buried with only an inch of the roll bar visible, a frends boat the Rocna is is totally buried nothing visible at all. Spade on another boat just the top of the shank visible. Brittany on another boat poorly set with a long drag mark, but on a short scope so probably operated error ( I did not see them them anchor)
Old 21-06-2012, 11:35   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Thanks for the comments. Yes I agree you need to alow for how well the anchor is deployed, but if it is well set it is a good anchor. If poorly set you can get get some clue by seeing the scope and drag marks, but it is better if you have seen the boat anchoring.
I also like to dive on the anchors of boats around me. In weed it can be very hard just finding the anchor when diving. Once it's found you need to dive down to the bottom, an anchor that's barely visible can be very poorly set, just sitting on the bottom, but the weed obscures the anchor and makes its look like its buried.

In today's anchorage in Greece with soft sand the results our anchorage are my Rocna buried with only an inch of the roll bar visible, a frends boat the Rocna is is totally buried nothing visible at all. Spade on another boat just the top of the shank visible. Brittany on another boat poorly set with a long drag mark, but on a short scope so probably operated error ( I did not see them them anchor)
We have 12mm chain, usually 3:1 scope from roller to bottom. Most times the chain holds with only 20 knots starting a pull on anchor direct.
Man the waters too cold for us warm blood Aussies to dive in!! Today it was 24c thats just 2 deg above air con temps.
In the Caribbean i'll check them out!
Cheers good facts from you :-)
Old 21-06-2012, 11:39   #41

We shall be heading to Greece in 6 weeks or so we can compare then LOL
Old 21-06-2012, 11:45   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
We have 12mm chain, usually 3:1 scope from roller to bottom. Most times the chain holds with only 20 knots starting a pull on anchor direct.
Man the waters too cold for us warm blood Aussies to dive in!! Today it was 24c thats just 2 deg above air con temps.
In the Caribbean i'll check them out!
Cheers good facts from you :-)
I lived in Australia for many years. You must be from Queensland. ( for the non Australians that is a reference to the area, not sexual orientation )
Today the water temp here was 22C great for a swim after a 50 mile sail. My wife will swim and check our anchor happily at 19C, but I have to talk nicely if it's colder. The bathosope is useful in winter.
Old 21-06-2012, 11:50   #43

Yes from Gladstone where we call water below 20c 'SPANNER WATER' because it will tighten ya nuts very quickly.

Your wife is very very special.

Tags
anchor, kobra, plastimo