Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2011, 14:02   #1

Boat: Gib sea 43
Plastimo Kobra 2 Anchor

My new to me boat, has an old bruce claw type anchor, im toying with replacing it with a plastimo kobra 2 anchor, which came out well in reviews, has anyone got any first hand reports? Also the chain is pretty rusted some links look to have lost over a third of the metal. im thinking 40m would be good for regular cruising?

cheers

steven
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 15:23   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: plastimo kobra 2 anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
My new to me boat, has an old bruce claw type anchor, im toying with replacing it with a plastimo kobra 2 anchor, which came out well in reviews, has anyone got any first hand reports? Also the chain is pretty rusted some links look to have lost over a third of the metal. im thinking 40m would be good for regular cruising?

cheers

steven
Steven,

Congragulations on new boat. I had a genuine Bruce on my last boat and loved it. Resist the urge to try the so called latest and greatest. There are many threads here on good anchoring techniqe as well as many books on the subject. I would suggest learning as much as you can and use the Bruce under a wide range of conditions and if you decide it is unfit for your boat swap it out.

The best anchor is only as good as the chain and fittings it is connected to and deserve regular inspection to insure your safety, sounds like the one you have is due for the dumpster.
Old 19-10-2011, 17:24   #3

Re: Plastimo Kobra 2 Anchor

yeah the chain is in need of replacement , im wondering whats the minimum i can get away with 40m? maybe 50, the anchor is not in that great a condition either.
Old 19-10-2011, 17:44   #4

As an american I don't work with metric chain sizes so I can't help you. You need to know what size your windlass uses. The Anchor doesn't need to be shiny to work well.
Old 19-10-2011, 18:07   #5

i meant 40 - 50 meters of chain about 130-170 foot roughly
Old 19-10-2011, 18:12   #6

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Be careful with a Bruce in ell grass! I used Bruce anchors for years with great success until our harbors filled with ell grass. They grab, you think they are holding but they do not. They pick up a large divit of ocean bottom when loaded and send you on your way...........speed depends on wind and current.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 18:15   #7

The correct length of chain to carry will be determined by the depths of water you intend to anchor in. Usually a 7 to 1 scope, I.E. 20 feet of depth requires 140 feet of chain and so on.
Old 19-10-2011, 18:19   #8

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

If you want to experiment, anchoring can be thrilling! But if you're adverse to thrills, then by all means, I highly recommend taking the time to read many of the anchoring threads in the anchoring forum. There is great experience there, better than any text book AND IT IS ALL FREE!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 22:43   #9

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
The correct length of chain to carry will be determined by the depths of water you intend to anchor in. Usually a 7 to 1 scope, I.E. 20 feet of depth requires 140 feet of chain and so on.
That's true of total rode length, but I'm not sure if the OP is asking how much chain he needs in addition to the rope rode. In a mixed rode, I think the rule of thumb is one or two times your boat length in chain and the rest rope (see cburger's post above for total length). It is common to have about 250' to 300' of total rode, often it is mixed.

If you live somewhere with lots of coral and deep water (rare), you'll probably want all chain. Otherwise, you can certainly have a mixed rode for a while and then decide how much chain you want to burden your bow with once you have a lot more experience with how you'll be using your boat.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 23:38   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The Kobra is a reasonably good anchor and will be a step up from the Bruce especially in the in weedy conditions of Scotland.
The performance of the Kobra is very similar to the Delta (IMHO the Deta is slightly better, but there is not much in it) so its worth pricing both the Delta and Kobra as in some countries one or the other is cheaper.
If you go for a new generation anchor such as the Rocna or Manson supreme you would get better performance, but at a higher cost. Rocna has had some problems with there steel quality so if buying at the moment the Manson is the better choice. The Spade anchor is also excellent, but not as good in thick weed.
40m of chain is on the low side for a cruising boat, but it is very dependent on your cruising ground and I am not familiar with Scotish waters.
50 -100m would be the normal range.

The YBW forum has a lot of Scottish sailors on it, so it may be worth posing the question on chain length on that forum, if no one can help you here, with local knowledge.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 02:13   #11

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930

You may also get more folk with experience of the Kobra by posting on YBW. As you say, it fares very well in [European] reviews, and seems to offer good value in the European markets. Over here, the Manson Supreme offers great pull-per-buck.

Over there, the Kobra seems a good choice. As I recollect, it outperformed the Delta. And the older style anchors (IMO the better modern anchors usually do). But rankings of modern anchors are often a question of which test(s) you put weight on.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 05:47   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.waite View Post
But rankings of modern anchors are often a question of which test(s) you put weight on.
Many of the anchor tests are of very limited value. I base my assessment of anchors on observing how well they have set and how they hold in stronger wind.
Most days swimming I can see 10 or so anchors. and after observing how well they were deployed, the scope etc combined with how deeply they are set it is obvious which are the better anchors. The hard sand and weed of this area is a good challenge for many anchors. I anchor over 300 days a year so there is plenty of opportunity to get a a lot of information.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 10:13   #13

Hi, We changed our CQR for a Kobra a couple of seasons back and have been very pleased with it. We cruise in Turkey and greece and anchor frequently. With the Kobra we are confident of its ability to dig in almost first time and have great holding. Indeed we have cruised with friends who have taken severeal attempts to get good holding when we have been successful on first attempt. Generaly have 4 times depth of chain out, We carry 80 metres. On raising the anchor we almost always have to motor pretty hard with verticle chain to break it out. Best thing we did getting rid of the cqr.
Hope this is helpful. Derek
derk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 12:46   #14

Boat: Cabo Rico Norteast 400, 40', 'Briez'
Hi,

I used a Delta for 10 years and found it to be a very good and predictable anchor. I changed it for a slightly heavier Kobra II which we've now used for just over a season and initial impressions are good - it's at least as good as the Delta and I think quicker to set; but to be fair I haven't yet put it through as many varied situations as the old Delta. It's certainly very keenly priced and has faired well in various European reviews.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 12:53   #15

Boat: Cabo Rico Norteast 400, 40', 'Briez'
I should have added that we also carry a Bruce (and had one on our old boat) but that I continue to have grave reservations about the Bruce. In weedy or boulder strewn bottom it is far too prone to collecting material in the 'bucket' and then it drags hopelessly. I still carry it in the belief that in rocky bottoms it probably stands a better chance of hooking onto something that a Delta or delta-derivative. The realty is that a good old-fashioned fisherman pattern is probably best of all for that particular scenario.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, kobra, plastimo