Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2024, 02:59   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Not sure what these are

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
If that was the case ( dock line support) one would think you'd see some " wear" marks on the toggle, where they would butt up to the dock cleat or ring, and they are also likely to move as a boat rises and fall, but they look as pristine as a baby's bottom....

I can't say for sure, but they appear to be made from wood, not a good material for a dockline doodad as the wear and tear on a wood toggle would promote a short lifespan.
It's surprising how little load and wear is placed on these sorts of things: I've been playing with this stuff for fifteen years, and have never worn out not broken a single wooden toggle, in any configuration.
A wooden one would be easy to replace: I've used some doug-fir closet-rod sections for a long time, but really prefer my Black Locust ones....
Old 08-03-2024, 07:13   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB View Post
Recently purchased a Phantom 30 and found these in the gear locker. They don't weigh much, but my first thought was something for keeping pylon lines from getting tangled. Seem to be made out of grey plastic, pvc or similar with welded SS rings. They are closed on each end, not hollow. Anyone have the real story? Thanks in advance

Tapered? They are emergency plugs to fit an exact through hull hole
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 02:45   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
... I can't say for sure, but they appear to be made from wood, not a good material for a dockline doodad as the wear and tear on a wood toggle would promote a short lifespan.
According to the OP [post #1]:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB View Post
”... They don't weigh much, but my first thought was something for keeping pylon lines from getting tangled. Seem to be made out of grey plastic, pvc or similar ...”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 20:34   #19

Boat: Herreshoff Nereia H36
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanshoretiga

Hi Jake,
I’m not going to argue about all the ideas for these items. But, my immediate recognition was that these are plugs to be used if a thru hull fails (as noted by another poster).
I would go so far as to suggest that there are 4 thru hulls in your boat and possibly located as two pairs. Further, while the thru hulls may be slightly different sizes, these bungs would fit any of them.

Cheers, jim
oceanshoretiga is offline   Reply With Quote