Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 23:38   #46
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave 38' cat
Re: New Anchoring Setup for Bavaria 40 Cruiser

It is not entirely comparing like with like

I compared the windage of our Lightwave 38 (edit - multihull, cat, close edit) with a Bavaria 35 and a Bavaria 45. Based on the idea that windage is a function of both bow on and side cross sectional area then our windage was very similar to that of the Bav 45 (and the Bav 35 was 30% less). I excluded mast, boom and furled sails. I also excluded the idea that cruising monos quite often have significant development over the transom, targas with solars, davits etc.

We use a 15kg SARCA Excel and have done for almost 10 years now. We sit out Storms though the highest registered windspeed we have measured is 55knots on one anchor.

However if we have the time and the forecast we would deploy 2 anchors, in a 'V'. Our second anchor is the same size as the primary. Its better to be over 'anchored' if possible. The number of times you need to be over anchored are not that many - Storms are rarely suffered, good anchorages are good because they provide shelter from Storms, forecasts are surprisingly good (allowing opportunity to move to somewhere more sensible).

The majority of owners carry anchors larger than recommended - we appreciate this but have not found it necessary.

Jonathan
J Neeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 00:20   #47

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Neeves View Post
It is not entirely comparing like with like

I compared the windage of our Lightwave 38 (edit - multihull, cat, close edit) with a Bavaria 35 and a Bavaria 45. Based on the idea that windage is a function of both bow on and side cross sectional area then our windage was very similar to that of the Bav 45 (and the Bav 35 was 30% less). I excluded mast, boom and furled sails. I also excluded the idea that cruising monos quite often have significant development over the transom, targas with solars, davits etc.

We use a 15kg SARCA Excel and have done for almost 10 years now. We sit out Storms though the highest registered windspeed we have measured is 55knots on one anchor.

However if we have the time and the forecast we would deploy 2 anchors, in a 'V'. Our second anchor is the same size as the primary. Its better to be over 'anchored' if possible. The number of times you need to be over anchored are not that many - Storms are rarely suffered, good anchorages are good because they provide shelter from Storms, forecasts are surprisingly good (allowing opportunity to move to somewhere more sensible).

The majority of owners carry anchors larger than recommended - we appreciate this but have not found it necessary.

Jonathan
Welcome aboard Jonathan. Thank you for your considered opinion

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 08:25   #48

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

I'll second Carsten's welcome Jonathan as it is always good to have many inputs and points of view/experience.

As this thread basically came about from my looking into upgrading the anchor on my yacht I can say that personally I am interested in hearing other people's experiences with different anchors. We currently have a 16kg Delta on a 40ft Bavaria Cruiser (2010/11 BWM/Farr model) which, whilst it has held us securely in 25-30kts in a good sand bottom, I'm not convinced is a suitable anchor for our size of boat. Especially as we have dragged in 45kts, ok in weed, and seen other Delta clad boats drag in less but there is a lot of that down to poor setting technique. I'm not prepared to risk my home on an undersized anchor and would like to sleep like a baby when on the hook not wake up at every clunk or creak.

Thanks to Thomasz (DoubleWhiskey) and Noelex I am now looking at replacing this with a 33kg Rocna Vulcan and swapping the BBB 8m chain with G70 8m at least. Given the shortage of space on the bow roller I'm not going to worry about swivels and other gizmos as I don't think it is practicable, even with the shorter stock of the Vulcan compared to other New Gen anchors. It might not happen this season for various reasons but I will upgrade soon unless I can persuade the boss that is.

Cheers

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 08:45   #49
Sponsoring Vendor

Hello Keiron,

May I humbly suggest an oversized Fortress for a storm anchor, and a smaller model for the stern?

For a 40-ft Bavaria Cruiser, the 15 kg FX-55 or the 21 kg FX-85 aluminum alloy anchors are much larger physically than steel counterparts of similar weight, and in turn would offer far greater holding capability in common sand, mud, or clay bottoms. Either model would serve you extraordinarily well as a storm anchor.

For the stern, the 4.5 kg FX-16 is incredibly easy to handle and it can be used to keep the boat from swinging or as a kedge anchor.

Safe anchoring,
Brian

Fortress Anchors – The World's Best Anchors!
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 11:32   #50

Brian,

I have considered the Fortress for our secondary or emergency anchor as I like the way it can be broken down for storage and that they are lighter than their steel cousins meaning much easier to handle manually. I hadn't considered them for the bower anchor partly due to the size as I'm not sure a suitable one would fit on my bow roller but will look into this further.

I, and I am sure others, welcome your input into this discussion and you win kudos point for being the first actual manufacturer to join in

Keiron
Old 25-03-2015, 15:54   #51

Brian,

Sadly as I thought the Fortress and Guardian anchors you suggested are far too long in the shank to fit on my bow roller. I only have 80cm (800mm) and even the FX16 would barely fit as it is 79cm long. I also suspect that the flukes would not fit between the bow roller and the bow.

However I will still consider the FX16 as a kedge or secondary anchor in replacement of either the 16kg Delta or horribly undersize 12kg CQR (purchased purely to pass the Croatian registration requirements as it was cheap and fit in the cockpit locker at the time!!)

Cheers

Keiron
Old 26-03-2015, 05:41   #52
Sponsoring Vendor

Kieron,

We have an excellent, long-time distributor in Trieste, Italy who services nearby Croatia and I am confident that they can be of assistance to you with this anchor and possibly other accessories that you might need.

Please find below their web address:

Motomarine

All the best,
Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 11:07   #53

Hi to all
Sorry if this is a off topic question, but i need a fast answer and I hope you will help me... Do anyone knows a owner of a bavaria 30 in Croatia? I wanna ask a few questions. Thank you.
Samir007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 03:37   #54

Did you look already to the sarca-excel anchor?
On there website they give you all dimensions, or send the manufacture a email, the response is very good and fast.

We use a sarca excel for almost 6 months, it performs very very good.
even in windspeed of 40knots, and wind from the side by current.

If it fits on the bow off your boat, you don't gone find a better one.

Ben
ben39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, photo