Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2018, 22:19   #166

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa
Re: Most Sailors Can't Anchor Properly!

Hi Rongvald,
I think your looking at this the wrong way.
Obviously you have chosen an excellent place to anchor and others recognize this. Also perhaps you are exuding welcome vibes by the dozen which also draws others close. It’s time to accept these compliments from other boaters in a more appreciative manner. The days of lonely anchorages are probably over.
However it is a bit of a bummer when hulls come knocking.
My strategy when that happens is to shout STEEL.
We have not had many issues of this type maybe Oz is not as crowded. If a boat is too close I would politely point this out to the offender and ask them to move off a bit. We are not all experts.
Michael
Old 18-08-2018, 03:10   #167

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21

One of the major decisions in anchoring was taken months - or years - ago in a chandlers far, far away when you, (or the previous owner, or the one before him), bought that particular anchor. But on many modern WPBs the anchor hawse just cannot physically accept a conservatively-sized anchor.

So, take an inadequate size anchor, too short a scope, a boat moving forwards as the hook is dropped from a huge-windage stink-boat, and the result is fairly predictable.

In one local anchorage, a high-powered MB recently gave up and went home after about 6 attempts at anchoring. The main issues were those I've mentioned, plus the fact that as soon as the anchor reached the bottom, Capn Dick Head immediately hit the throttles hard astern with 400hp (presumably to "dig the anchor in", but in fact he just took the anchor water-skiing). The one thing that was clear as he motored away was that it was all Mrs Head's fault for not doing the foredeck job properly.

But it was great viewing from 100 yards away!
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 05:32   #168
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkstone bay View Post
In one local anchorage, a high-powered MB recently gave up and went home after about 6 attempts at anchoring. The main issues were those I've mentioned, plus the fact that as soon as the anchor reached the bottom, Capn Dick Head immediately hit the throttles hard astern with 400hp (presumably to "dig the anchor in", but in fact he just took the anchor water-skiing). The one thing that was clear as he motored away was that it was all Mrs Head's fault for not doing the foredeck job properly. But it was great viewing from 100 yards away!
Well there are pink jobs (handling a 20 kg anchor and chain), and there are blue jobs (turning a few knobs and pressing buttons).

Anchoring is a team effort, though
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 05:47   #169

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL

This often works.
Strip off all your clothes, below, then go up onto cabin top, face them, and stare, then give the bollcks a bit of a fondle.

It can backfire, if you are in a naturistic location.
Old 18-08-2018, 06:34   #170

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Have we discussed the "glob o' weeds" yet?

You know, anchor goes down, boat tries to set anchor, anchor comes up with 200kg of weeds as big as a VW Beetle.

It's happened to most all of us...but...

the ones I enjoy are those who then proceed to drop the anchor again with the glob o' weeds attached, thinking that the anchor will somehow set. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Surrender and go to dock.

Admittedly, this is somewhat off topic because I can't say I've seen many sailors do it...but powerboaters, well...
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 06:49   #171

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunesjester View Post
Years ago I was in an anchorage that developed an eddie with the tide. There was another boat nearby and we talked earlier in the day a knew we were outside each others swing radius by about 20 ft even if we swung opposite directions. It was a tight anchorage but well protected.

Around sunset a small sailboat entered the anchorage and anchored directly between us. We warned him that he would be in our swing radius. They were unconcerned.

Being a 50,000lb metal wrecking ball swinging at anchor, I warned them that if we bumped in the night, we could roll right over the top of their boat and not even know it.

Well they still didn't care. That changed around 4 AM when the tide changed and the eddie started. They ended up sandwiched bow to staern between us and the other boat.

I came on deck to see them frantically fending off and I just laughed. I said 'Told you that was a bad place' then went back below to make coffee.

The boat that was anchored on the other side just threw some fenders over the side and we proceeded to watch as the boat in the middle struggled to fend off and try to formulate a plan.

Unfortunately, their anchor was unretrievable since it was underneath the other boat, running under their own bow, boat, stern and prop. It was 180 degrees the wrong way with their bow towards me.

Moral of the story: you can't fix stupid. After about 2hrs they were able to extract themselves with a bit of help from us once I had some coffee in me.

Neptune,
This is an excellent example of the topic of this post especially since the sailor didn't heed your advice and basically ignored you. And, with a steel boat, you didn't have the obvious paranoia most of us with glass boats have that are maniacally protective of our topsides. We have encountered this many times in the last 30 years and, in our case, it was always a dirtbag boat that was poorly maintained who was the offender. Was the offender aware of the potential damage he could do to your boats? Was he aware of the potential damage to his boat? Was he concerned for the safety of himself and his crew? Did he have insurance? Why didn't he have a conversation with you and the other boat? All of these questions, to me, indicate an unqualified, uncaring, irresponsible skipper and in your case, you were certainly a gentleman in helping him extricate his anchor. Another point mentioned earlier is the awareness that skippers with nylon rode and chain must have in relation to boats that anchor on all chain. We have a 34-foot boat with 300 feet of 7/16" nylon rode and 40 feet of 3/8" chain. We usually anchor 5 to 1(sometimes less in benign conditions) and are always aware when anchoring near boats with an all chain scope. I still pull my hook by hand and am therefore always aware of where I drop the anchor. Great example of the post, Neptune! Heading towards Gaspe . . . Rognvald
Old 18-08-2018, 07:55   #172

Boat: Cambria 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioggio View Post
I need some secrets on how to anchor well in a channel where the tide changes direction- and creates a strong current!

Surprised no one has responded to this. I've found this in many spots in the Bahamas. You just need 2 anchors set so as the current changes you swing round and catch on the other anchor. Just look up Bahamian mooring.
gussers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 08:11   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussers View Post
Surprised no one has responded to this. I've found this in many spots in the Bahamas. You just need 2 anchors set so as the current changes you swing round and catch on the other anchor. Just look up Bahamian mooring.

Cause it's a B... to setup and retrieve.
Allan cay in the Exuma is an example. The current been so strong that you will end up been anchored against a 20 knts wind.
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 08:24   #174

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’ve anchored in some pretty strong currents, and have almost always used a single hook. Unless you’re dealing with a specific situation, there should be no reason to use two anchors.

A properly set and dug-in anchor should crab around as the boat shifts. Unless you are unlucky enough to swing exactly over your anchor, and to do so with a fair amount of force such that you manage to pop it out, then a properly set and dug-in anchor should be all you need (assuming the anchor gear is good to begin with).
Old 18-08-2018, 08:47   #175

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
Best charter boat anchoring I saw was a Benetau motor into into anchorage at around 4-5 knots then drop anchor, with chain scraping down the side of the boat. Once the anchor dug in the boat turned 180 and the engine switched off!

Canadians seem to do it that way as standard procedure.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 08:49   #176

Was in Georgetown Exuma during hurricane Joachim. A long 48 hrs of winds and 8 foot swell. Had 250 feet of chain out in 8 feet of water. NHC predicted wind coming from the west So anchored on the town side. In the end NHC was wrong wind came from the north. That meant had the swell from the ocean coming in. Never moved an inch. So would think my anchoring skill proved itself. WRONG.

After the hurricane Went anchoring on the east side on the Chat an Chill side (for the one that know the area) Same setup. A little thunder storm came in. 30 knts winds. And I dragged. What went wrong? The anchor got stuck in bottom debries.

Moral of this, what worked once, doesn't prove it will work twice
Old 18-08-2018, 08:56   #177

During the same hurricane There was a 40 footer or so trawler. That one didn't last long. Fenders where still hanging on the side of the boat. While it dragged and got bashed on the reefs. They took a plane and run away. Leaving the boat by itself. I have $ I have insurance kind of attitude.

There should be lawn against such morons
Old 18-08-2018, 09:06   #178

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’ve anchored in some pretty strong currents, and have almost always used a single hook. Unless you’re dealing with a specific situation, there should be no reason to use two anchors

I agree completely. There are only two situations where I’ll anchor now and stern: when everyone else has in a crowded anchorage, and in a narrow cut where the current reverses 180 and I’m concerned about pulling the hook out. And the latter is so rare I think I’ve only done it twice, when the shift was in the dead of night.

I’ve also done it a few times when there’s a stiff breeze against the current to keep the boat from riding over the chain and grinding against the hull. I hate that. Sometimes a long snubber and big lazy loop of chain works for that also.
Old 18-08-2018, 09:09   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’ve anchored in some pretty strong currents, and have almost always used a single hook. Unless you’re dealing with a specific situation, there should be no reason to use two anchors.

A properly set and dug-in anchor should crab around as the boat shifts. Unless you are unlucky enough to swing exactly over your anchor, and to do so with a fair amount of force such that you manage to pop it out, then a properly set and dug-in anchor should be all you need (assuming the anchor gear is good to begin with).

That work well if you don't reverse. It is know that a fluke type anchor doesn't reverse well A cqr? even worst. Bruce usually reset well.
It all come to what is at the bottom
Old 18-08-2018, 09:43   #180

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie watson View Post
I am sure you don’t just criticise you must help these poor incompetent people and give them the benefit of you experience. Or maybe you are one of the “don’t anchor near me” brigade !
+1
Whats going on with Humanity , you all sadden me its if the holy than holy brigade have never made a mistake , nor anchored to close , and what is this with people being naked , and playing loud music to get rid of people , get a grip of your faculties and be a good neighbour. or lo and behold go ask to move on and explain why two boats that close may cause problems
NO, you people just hid in your bunkers and throw grenades and hope people go
HOW SAD makes me wonder about that so called cruiser community everyone keeps talking about.
It also seems that people are having a go at charter boats and their crew , yes they might get it wrong this might be their first time in that type of boat , they may be a little bit inexperienced , hey they may need some help !!!
, its like these forums and the one across the pond if you haven't posted for 10 + years and 10000 posts you have nothing useful to say , and it seems this attitude transfers to when your in your boat.
Oh I feel faint now of to ly down
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rope, sail