Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2018, 10:07   #181

Boat: Cambria 46
Re: Most Sailors Can't Anchor Properly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’ve anchored in some pretty strong currents, and have almost always used a single hook. Unless you’re dealing with a specific situation, there should be no reason to use two anchors.

True but I'm thinking of specific times I've anchored in bad holding with both anchors off the bow in very strong current changes. One is set for one direction and the other for when it switches. I've dived over a few times in the Bahamas to re set someone's anchor who's dragged when the anchor can't reset on a hard bottom.
gussers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 10:54   #182
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
This often works.
Strip off all your clothes, below, then go up onto cabin top, face them, and stare, then give the bollcks a bit of a fondle.

It can backfire, if you are in a naturistic location.
How many times have you tried this?
Old 18-08-2018, 11:02   #183
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Canadians seem to do it that way as standard procedure.
Sure, that would explain all the boats dragging all over the 1000 Islands at this time of year!

A more likely explanation is that our good Canadian people are desperate, desperate to get to the bar or crack open a beer...
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 11:06   #184
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
+1
Whats going on with Humanity , you all sadden me its if the holy than holy brigade have never made a mistake , nor anchored to close , and what is this with people being naked , and playing loud music to get rid of people , get a grip of your faculties and be a good neighbour. or lo and behold go ask to move on and explain why two boats that close may cause problems
NO, you people just hid in your bunkers and throw grenades and hope people go
HOW SAD makes me wonder about that so called cruiser community everyone keeps talking about.
It also seems that people are having a go at charter boats and their crew , yes they might get it wrong this might be their first time in that type of boat , they may be a little bit inexperienced , hey they may need some help !!!
, its like these forums and the one across the pond if you haven't posted for 10 + years and 10000 posts you have nothing useful to say , and it seems this attitude transfers to when your in your boat.
Oh I feel faint now of to ly down
There, there dear. It really isn't so bad. Experience builds skills. By the time we are all old and crusty we're destined to be perfect!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 12:06   #185

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussers View Post
True but I'm thinking of specific times I've anchored in bad holding with both anchors off the bow in very strong current changes. One is set for one direction and the other for when it switches. I've dived over a few times in the Bahamas to re set someone's anchor who's dragged when the anchor can't reset on a hard bottom.

Might be needed in this case ... I wasn't there, so can't say. But in general, a properly set, AND dug-in anchor shouldn't have to reset with a current or wind shift. This implies it became dislodged, which likely means it probably wasn't dug in sufficiently.

Large fluke-style anchors have a greater tendency to become dislodged in this manner, but the new-gen anchors are much better.

I agree a med-moor has its uses, but in general a proper anchor/rode that is properly dug in should be able to accommodate anything but the most sudden, and strong, 180-degree wind/current shifts.
Old 18-08-2018, 12:07   #186

The rule of the road is very clear about all this.

1)Keep a SAFE distance.
It also say if there is a risk of collision,

2) vessels in such condition should take evasive maneuvers.
3)There should be someone on watch on deck.

There is NO excuses or Grey areas in the rules
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 12:35   #187

Quote:

I agree a med-moor has its uses, but in general a proper anchor/rode that is properly dug in should be able to accommodate anything but the most sudden, and strong, 180-degree wind/current shifts.

And it does happen without warning.
Dead calm, Next minutes 20 knts, few mins later 65 knts.
Old 18-08-2018, 13:28   #188

Most Sailors Can't Anchor Properly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancor01 View Post
And it does happen without warning.
Dead calm, Next minutes 20 knts, few mins later 65 knts.

Where? When? Name the place where an unpredicted wind goes from zero to 65 knots in a few minutes such that you would then expect this to happen and start laying out extra anchors? (Which would make it predicted)

I know of many places where this happens, but it is predicted and expected. So as I said, in those odd places, special anchoring techniques should be used. But not for typical wind or current shifts, unless you have the wrong anchor or rode or haven't set and dug it in properly.
Old 18-08-2018, 14:14   #189

Quote:
Where? When? Name the place where an unpredicted wind goes from zero to 65 knots in a few minutes such that you would then expect this to happen and start laying out extra anchors? (Which would make it predicted)

I know of many places where this happens, but it is predicted and expected. So as I said, in those odd places, special anchoring techniques should be used. But not for typical wind or current shifts, unless you have the wrong anchor or rode or haven't set and dug it in properly.

That was in Georgetown Exumas Bahamas January 2016 around 9 pm

It actually made it to the news
A micro storm. Not expected, not predicted.
I saw 65 knts on my wind indicator, other did report 100 knts.

Then start the chain reaction, one boat start dragging. into another one And so on. There is nothing you can do in such situation. All you can hope for is that they drift away from you. I have a trimaran with a 26 feet beam. All I hoped for was that none would end up across my bows or in between them.
Old 18-08-2018, 14:20   #190

Quote:
That was in Georgetown Exumas Bahamas January 2016 around 9 pm

It actually made it to the news
A micro storm. Not expected, not predicted.
I saw 65 knts on my wind indicator, other did report 100 knts.

Then start the chain reaction, one boat start dragging. into another one And so on. There is nothing you can do in such situation. All you can hope for is that they drift away from you. I have a trimaran with a 26 feet beam. All I hoped for was that none would end up across my bows or in between them.

Right... So these unexpected things happen. And like you say, there's not much you can do.

But this has little to do deciding how to lay out your anchor. You can't plan for the unexpected, and especially not for a near-unique event. Besides, I really doubt if a med moor would fair any better in this situation.
Old 18-08-2018, 14:43   #191

Quote:
Right... So these unexpected things happen. And like you say, there's not much you can do.

But this has little to do deciding how to lay out your anchor. You can't plan for the unexpected, and especially not for a near-unique event. Besides, I really doubt if a med moor would fair any better in this situation.

You can. 10 feet of water 200 feet of chain out. 1 foot of chain = 1 pound.
That is 200 pounds. It make an hell of a damper. It give plenty of time for the bruce anchor to reset.

It show one thing Be ready for the unexpected cause eventually it will knock on your door as an Un-invited guest.
Old 18-08-2018, 15:32   #192

Most Sailors Can't Anchor Properly!

Quote:
You can. 10 feet of water 200 feet of chain out. 1 foot of chain = 1 pound.
That is 200 pounds. It make an hell of a damper. It give plenty of time for the bruce anchor to reset.

It show one thing Be ready for the unexpected cause eventually it will knock on your door as an Un-invited guest.

Hmmm... You anchor at 20:1 as normal practice? Your fellow anchorage mates must love that. Besides, I still don't see what this has to do with my comment that a med moor is generally unnecessary to manage shifting wind or current.

I carry 250' of 3/8" chain , attached to a double-sized NG anchor, and that is my bower. I carry three other anchors, including a Bruce, which is a fine anchor, plus two other rodes. I'm currently sailing Newfoundland. I know a little something about anchoring.
Old 18-08-2018, 15:39   #193

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

While we have used a 2nd anchor at times, I don't think we've ever had out more than 6:1, and that was when we anchored on rope rode! Normally, we anchor all chain, heavy nylon double braid snubber, and at 3:1.

As to a Bruce re-setting, we've had one Bruce and one Bruce look-alike. Both failed to re-set when they dragged, hence the change to the Manson Supreme.

Ann

Edit by Jim: Well, we have occasionally used more than 6:1 scope on chain, but don't use such routinely, and the scope we use varies with depth and with bottom type (if known) and with expected wx. In general, the deeper the anchorage the smaller scope is required. Use of huge scopes in any but very uncrowded anchorages is quite antisocial; I surely don't want to share a place with the chap who routinely uses 10:1 or more. That is selfish behavior and unbecoming a cruiser.
Old 18-08-2018, 16:36   #194

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
The rule of the road is very clear about all this.

1)Keep a SAFE distance.
It also say if there is a risk of collision,

2) vessels in such condition should take evasive maneuvers.
3)There should be someone on watch on deck.

There is NO excuses or Grey areas in the rules
What "rule of the road" would that be?

If you mean COLREGS, please tell us where they say anything like this about vessels at anchor.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 23:36   #195

Milk jug and a cyalume stick...
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rope, sail