Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2019, 17:21   #76

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22
Re: Mantus Dinghy Anchor

So, did the group buy ever happen?? Curious if there are any new owners out there with feedback!

My own Mantus dinghy anchor just arrived today! It's a long story, but I got the "kit" (stainless anchor, 50 feet of 5/16 double braid with stainless thimble, 1/4" steel shackle, nose cover, and sexy storage bag) for $122. Normal price is around $199. It took several weeks to arrive, but it finally got done.

My first thought after assembling it was "this thing weighs more than two pounds!" So I weighed it two ways: one with a spring-loaded fish scale, and again by standing on a bathroom scale while holding it, then putting it down and calculating the difference (very complex math, for me). I got 3.8 lbs using the bathroom scale, and 3.6 lbs with the fish scale.

I was sad to see "Made in China" on the box ... but what can you do.

The tiny little spring-loaded pin does give me some concern. Granted, even if the pin magically disappeared all at once, the anchor would still hold together under load. But since I personally don't have any plans that would involve disassembling the anchor, I may have the three components tack welded together, just because.

I can see how the point might, maybe, possibly puncture an inflatable, if it were vigorously jammed into the fabric at just the perfect angle. But it is nowhere near as sharp as Thinwater described his as being when new. It would barely cut butter, let alone your hand. Same as the 13 pounder we carry on our C22. Heck, I may sharpen it a little.

If there is any interest, I'll give a report once it's been tested.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 18:27   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Mantus Dinghy Anchor

Yes, It did. I'll leave it for any owners of a mantus dinghy anchor to chime in.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, dinghy, Mantus