Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2015, 05:58   #1

Boat: Oyster 56
Mantus anchors

I am in the process of planning a circumnavigation and want to change my main anchor. I currently have a 75lb CQR which was supplied when the yacht was new in 2003. I really like the look of the Mantus anchor and I particularly like the fact they can be taken apart for storage on long ocean passages. The only down side is that the makers recommendation for a 56 foot yacht for all conditions is a 170 lb anchor???
Does anyone have any experience of these anchors and any advice on sizing?
OysterDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 07:33   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Mantus anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDriver View Post
The only down side is that the makers recommendation for a 56 foot yacht for all conditions is a 170 lb anchor???
Does anyone have any experience of these anchors and any advice on sizing?
I think that sizing is a little much.. We sized ours as a 65lb for our 42 foot.
We still use our CQR 35 for general use.........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 07:38   #3
cruiser

You purchased a beautiful boat. Why mess up the look of your bow with an ugly roll bar style anchor that's rapidly becoming obsolete. Here's some pictures of our Oyster 53 fitted with an Ultra 45kg along with an Ultra swivel. The 45kg is considered oversized for our 25 ton boat.

Excellent performance, strong.... and good looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3510.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	96023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3509.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	96024  

Name:	IMG_3508.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	96025  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 07:59   #4

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You purchased a beautiful boat. Why mess up the look of your bow with an ugly roll bar style anchor that's rapidly becoming obsolete. Here's some pictures of our Oyster 53 fitted with an Ultra 45kg along with an Ultra swivel. The 45kg is considered oversized for our 25 ton boat.

Excellent performance, strong.... and good looks.
Nice ....... you've got more in your anchor than most people have in their anual cruising budget.. sweet...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 08:59   #5

Boat: Oyster 53

I agree with Kenomac. We are another Oyster owner and our boat displaces 50,000 pounds to your 58,000. We swapped out our standard-issue 75 pound CQR with a 110 pound Spade and have been very happy with the performance.

Of course, the Spade, while not as ugly as the Mantus or Rocna, is pretty plain compared to Ken's Ultra.

Either way, you need a proper anchor for that yacht and the CQR will only disappoint. I kept ours as a spare at the bottom of the sail locker.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 25-01-2015, 09:17   #6
cruiser

OysterDiver,

FYI: We use our Ultra anchor continuously everyday, 4-5 months per year; it's not on the bow just for looks. But it still looks great following two seasons at anchor, no rust, and just lite surface scratches... still very shiny and blends nicely with the Oyster bow roller.

That Mantus anchor recommended for your boat looks enormous. If it truly requires a 175 pound Mantus to hold your boat, I'd look at alternatives. A 99 pound Spade or Ultra is considered oversized and is half the size. Plus... how are you going to dismantle a 175 pound anchor, then move, manipulate and stow it while underway? Check the dimensions, it won't fit in any of the Oyster 56 lockers.

175 pound Mantus pictured with mermaid:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mantus.jpg
Views:	1145
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	96026  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 09:18   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I would definitely stick to the more conservative manufacturer recommendations. I looked up Mantus tables and they clearly say which anchor is targeted for which use. I believe this may be that 175 thing in your case.

I would always stick to the bower as our main and storm anchor for any extended cruise.

Perhaps a slightly lighter anchor can be had when a non folding design is chosen? Perhaps the limiting factor of the folded model are the folding/holding elements/ bolts, etc?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 19:49   #8
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You purchased a beautiful boat. Why mess up the look of your bow with an ugly roll bar style anchor that's rapidly becoming obsolete.
Well, I suppose someone has to ask...

What is this 'Next Generation' anchor that's replacing the current 'New Generation' ? I'm certainly not seeing the roll bars being discarded in my neighborhood...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 19:57   #9

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I'm guessing anchors like the Sarca Excel or the next gen Rocna (upside down tractor seat).
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 20:02   #10

Actually... Come to think of it..

Why not look into a Sarca Excel. A quick look at the chart shows a 50kg anchor for your boat.
Old 25-01-2015, 20:12   #11

Boat: Formosa 41

We use the 85 lb. Mantus on our 36,000 lb 41 ft. boat. We don't use the roll bar on it and it tucks up nicely under the bowsprit.

Heresy?
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 20:31   #12
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I'm guessing anchors like the Sarca Excel or the next gen Rocna (upside down tractor seat).
I've yet to see the Rocna Vulcan, or the Sarca Excel, with my own eyes...

However, I'm hard pressed to see much of a difference between the Rocna and the Spade, or the Sarca and the Delta...

And, based on what's laying around in consignment shops like Bacon's or Sailor's Exchange on the US East coast, Deltas can be had for pennies on the dollar, relatively speaking... Appears to me lots of folks have traded up from Deltas to Rocnas or similar, I'm just not seeing them switching back to Sarcas... At least here in the States, where I have yet to see a single one...

Of course, perhaps there's something distinctive about the Vulcan and the Excel that I'm just not seeing from the pics...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 20:38   #13

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
We use the 85 lb. Mantus on our 36,000 lb 41 ft. boat. We don't use the roll bar on it and it tucks up nicely under the bowsprit.

Heresy?
Hi Jason, I was thinking of the same thing for my bower. Any problems with the Mantus setting, sans rollbar?

TIA
goat

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 20:44   #14

Boat: Valiant 42

The chart on the Mantus web site recommends 125 lb as the storm anchor for boats your length under 60,000 lbs. displacement. I don't think that's unreasonable.

What makes you think they recommend 175 lbs?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 21:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
I've yet to see the Rocna Vulcan, or the Sarca Excel, with my own eyes...

However, I'm hard pressed to see much of a difference between the Rocna and the Spade, or the Sarca and the Delta...

And, based on what's laying around in consignment shops like Bacon's or Sailor's Exchange on the US East coast, Deltas can be had for pennies on the dollar, relatively speaking... Appears to me lots of folks have traded up from Deltas to Rocnas or similar, I'm just not seeing them switching back to Sarcas... At least here in the States, where I have yet to see a single one...

Of course, perhaps there's something distinctive about the Vulcan and the Excel that I'm just not seeing from the pics...
I agree %100, I was just speculating on Kenomatic's suggestion that roll bar anchors are becoming last gen.

I know of a couple of Sarcas here in Canada. They have a couple of advantages. 1. They are made %100 in Australia (yes even the metal) 2. They have no roll bar and fit on any bow roller.

I think they are a great product, but I personally wouldn't trade in a roll bar anchor for one. I think all the "current" gen anchors are good products.

Tags
anchor, Mantus