Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 15:59   #1

Boat: Iroquois Catamaran #149
Mantus Anchor Tolerance/Specifications

I picked up a mantus 25lb about a year ago and have been very pleased with it.

Their tables suggest it only for boats under 20' & 5,000lbs in "storm" conditions though so I decided to upgrade to the 35lb which they suggest for boats up to 30' and 11,000.

I expected it to be significantly larger, but when it came I could see no difference visually until I brought home my 25lb to compare it to. The blade is almost identical in area except a slightly elongated tip. The rollbar and shank is larger than the 25lb.

My first concern was it would not hold any more overall than the 25 since its basically the same area. The 25 sets fine, I purchased a larger model for more insurance in a blow.

My second concern was I received an out of tolerance anchor. It weighs 31lb 12oz and the blade measures 19" long vs the specified 19.75".

I emailed mantus my concerns and their response to holding was "We do not even call out holding power as it is a highly variable number and changes with the bottom conditions." Their response to my tolerance question was unanswered.

Any thoughts from the community?

VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 16:11   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Mantus Anchor Tolerance/Specifications

Here is the dimensions for the mantus anchors:

Mantus Anchors | Anchor Dimensions | MantusAnchors

Measure out both anchors and be sure that they match the spec. If you find a problem give Greg at Mantus a call/email.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 13:30   #3

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Personally, I've had excellent correspondence from Mantus. I recommend asking via e-mail for a number to speak with either Greg or Deneen over the phone. Both are very knowledgable and helpful. According to Greg, there should be approximately a 10% difference in fluke area from 25 to 35.

I'm currently debating between a 25 lbs or 35 lbs Mantus. I expect a cruise-ready displacement around 7500-8000 lbs, and am on a 27' sloop with some extra windage items like fiberglass dodger, radar and wind generator.

My primary concern was that the 35 would be enormous on my bow but this post indicates such a concern isn't particularly relevant. That said, I was recommended a 25 lbs by them, with a supplemental for the most torrential of conditions.

Best I can tell from comparing recommendations across manufacturers, anchor sizing is rather arbitrary and theoretical, with the business/marketing variable thrown into it. At any rate, I'm interested in the conclusion you arrive at. Keep us posted!
Old 02-02-2016, 09:09   #4

Quote:
Personally, I've had excellent correspondence from Mantus.
Quote:
At any rate, I'm interested in the conclusion you arrive at. Keep us posted!
I would agree. I had a good experience meeting them in person at the Annapolis show where they recommended the 35 as an upgrade to the 25.

After a half dozen emails its boiled down to it is what it is on my end. I have two anchors less than 7lbs apart that look to have similar blades and different shanks. Once I can use them enough to decide I will keep one and sell the other to buy something different.

Quote:
Measure out both anchors and be sure that they match the spec. If you find a problem give Greg at Mantus a call/email.
Thanks, I asked Greg specifics and did not receive numbers, just a link to the same chart.

The blade area of the 25 is listed as 800cm2 and 35 as 1000cm2. (25% increase & 31 square inches) The 35 is .75" short of the linked chart "A" blade dimension. My thought is that if that .75 is carried down the sides of the blade the result is about 30sq inch and a few pounds...what I am seeing when I compare my old and new anchor.

I sent pictures of the dimensions of my 35 compared to the chart and was eventually told the chart has mistakes and it will be updated soon with new dimensions.

As to the 35 that I received weighing 31.5lbs & only 6.5lbs heavier than 25.

The response was - "Weight on anchors vary i.e if you look at any manufacturer you will see that the weights are plus or minus a few pounds"

Is this in line what people find from the other manufactures?

They are adamant my 35 is correct and a new chart will be uploaded soon to reflect that.

I guess be on the lookout for the "updated" dimension chart on their website if you are considering one and expect it to be a few lbs lighter than specified.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:50   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

If I bought a 35# anchor I'd expect it to weigh 35#. What utter nonsense. I'd return it in a heartbeat.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 15:27   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Based on what you describe and the provided photos, I would say you have just purchased a redundant anchor. I would send it back.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 16:53   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVagrant View Post
Personally, I've had excellent correspondence from Mantus. I recommend asking via e-mail for a number to speak with either Greg or Deneen over the phone. Both are very knowledgable and helpful. According to Greg, there should be approximately a 10% difference in fluke area from 25 to 35.

I'm currently debating between a 25 lbs or 35 lbs Mantus. I expect a cruise-ready displacement around 7500-8000 lbs, and am on a 27' sloop with some extra windage items like fiberglass dodger, radar and wind generator.

My primary concern was that the 35 would be enormous on my bow but this post indicates such a concern isn't particularly relevant. That said, I was recommended a 25 lbs by them, with a supplemental for the most torrential of conditions.

Best I can tell from comparing recommendations across manufacturers, anchor sizing is rather arbitrary and theoretical, with the business/marketing variable thrown into it. At any rate, I'm interested in the conclusion you arrive at. Keep us posted!
FWIW, I was in a similar position with my 10000lb 27'. Was worried about the enormity of the thing on my bow as you mentioned, but went with a 45# in the end. No regrets. Fit's better than I had anticipated (actually much better than the previous 25# CQR, whose shank didn't even fit thru my roller).
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1455497480
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mantus.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	118965  
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 18:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBsail View Post
My second concern was I received an out of tolerance anchor. It weighs 31lb 12oz and the blade measures 19" long vs the specified 19.75".

I emailed mantus my concerns and their response to holding was "We do not even call out holding power as it is a highly variable number and changes with the bottom conditions." Their response to my tolerance question was unanswered.
I'd suggest contacting them again and expressly ask that the anchor be replaced by a proper one meeting the weight and dimensional specs.

Please report back regarding their response. If they attempt to duck the issue, that will speak volumes and will deter many from dealing with them … certainly I wouldn't consider buying a Mantus if that turns out to be their approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVagrant View Post
My primary concern was that the 35 would be enormous on my bow
If people make fun of the anchor for being too big for your boat, that's an excellent sign … means that it is almost large enough!
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:22   #9

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Any word with how this turned out?

Sent from my C6730 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:51   #10

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
Based on what you describe and the provided photos, I would say you have just purchased a redundant anchor. I would send it back.

I really like the Mantus, but for my money I would return it! Ask them to give you the next larger size, if that what would make you feel better. i would not hesitate to demand they address this somehow. There is NO WAY i would use the new anchor for such a tiny incremental gain in area.

There are a LOT of users on here watching to see how Mantus responds. it could certainly affect my anchor choice in the near future.

Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:51   #11

Quote:
Any word with how this turned out?
We emailed back and forth a half dozen times over a month last January. The last email I received was:

Quote:
are you sure your 25 lbs matches the table dimensions... bc we never change the manufacturing nor the drawings. I envision that your 25 lbs is about 10% smaller in every dimension than the 35 lbs. The dimension on the tables will be updated by the end of the next week. Thank for bringing this to my attention.
Greg
I emailed them back along with pictures of a tape measure on the 25lb and did not receive another response. I hung the new anchor on the boat and moved on. When this thread came back up today I checked the screenshot of their specs from last January to see if they updated them. The specs are still the same on their site today as they were 6 months ago.

January 2016 specs & Picture link I sent
Mantus Anchor by lazypanda26X | Photobucket

Quote:
I'd suggest contacting them again and expressly ask that the anchor be replaced by a proper one meeting the weight and dimensional specs.

Please report back regarding their response. If they attempt to duck the issue, that will speak volumes and will deter many from dealing with them … certainly I wouldn't consider buying a Mantus if that turns out to be their approach.

They asked what I wanted and I said I said I wanted a 35lb anchor to match their posted specs (I didn't want 45lbs hanging off the bow of my fairly light cat) Their response was all their 35s were the same as what I received, and thats basically where it ended.

I would be interested if anyone else has put a 35lb mantus on a scale.

Previous email responses were:

Quote:
the anchor you have is what we sell.... its not a deviant.. i.e all the anchors are the same of that size... the production is pretty automated. Weight on anchors vary i.e if you look at any manufacturer you will see that the weights are plus or minus a few pounds, this is our 35 lbs model...
Quote:
This difference is exaggerated on smaller anchors. Also as I suggested in previous email the dimensions are slightly off on the website page...I created the page and introduced an error somehow... I am working on fixing it... the surface area is accurate per design though.
35 lbs anchor is about 10% larger in each dimension than your 25 lbs anchor... and remember as such outperforms its competitors of the same claimed wight.
Old 07-07-2016, 13:23   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Honestly, I think the Mantus sizing is incredibly conservative. I tested the 2-pound version to about 450 pounds in sand and over 100 pounds in soft mud. For 27' boat, this is plenty (the 25 pounds will be about 8-10x that).
Old 07-07-2016, 13:50   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is a curious case. I would expect a manufacturer to respond differently and to have ALL anchors produced to spec.

And I would EXPECT their website charts to reflect reality and accuracy too.

Before returning the anchor or receiving a replacement, do the following:

Measure and weigh each component piece of the anchor (fluke, shank).

Is the weight difference of 6 pounds found only in the shank?

Compare the wights and see where the added weight occurs.

Take an accurate (verify this with some known weights of similar size 35# and another scale) scale and:

1. Weigh your new anchor (the one that is questionable)

2. Take the scale with you and weigh other anchors of the same design that already also said to be 35# models.

3. Document these measurements and post them here on the forum so others can learn from them too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 13:57   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Do the various Mantus models have any kind of stamped data on the pieces that indicate the size or weight or manufacturer (logo, pounds, etc)? Are hose marks found on ALL pieces of the anchor or on just one component (fluke or shank)?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 21:29   #15
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBsail View Post
We emailed back and forth a half dozen times over a month last January. The last email I received was:

I emailed them back along with pictures of a tape measure on the 25lb and did not receive another response. I hung the new anchor on the boat and moved on. When this thread came back up today I checked the screenshot of their specs from last January to see if they updated them. The specs are still the same on their site today as they were 6 months ago.

January 2016 specs & Picture link I sent
Mantus Anchor by lazypanda26X | Photobucket

They asked what I wanted and I said I said I wanted a 35lb anchor to match their posted specs (I didn't want 45lbs hanging off the bow of my fairly light cat) Their response was all their 35s were the same as what I received, and thats basically where it ended.

I would be interested if anyone else has put a 35lb mantus on a scale.

Previous email responses were:

So sorry, I am guilty as charged I did not update the dimensions as promised until tonight and did not respond to your last email because I somehow missed it: what you see on this link is the dimensions from the original design drawings. The numbers published earlier were off slightly, honestly I am not sure how the mistake was introduced.
Here is the link:
DIMENSIONS

When we size up from the 25 lbs anchor to the 35 lbs, we increase the thickens of the shank and the size of the bolts so unfortunately some of the weight goes into these changes vs growing the dimensions of the anchor.

Greg
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Mantus