Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2024, 13:57   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Mantas M1 or Sarca Excel

I will be upgrading my anchor (Currentley Rocna Original) and after watching Panopes videos have narrowed it down to either a Mantas M1 or Sarca Excel.

I am leaning to towards the M1, but have a bit of concern about the engineering/strength with Panopes lowly score of 2 for that catagory.

Are there any long term users of either that can share their experiences with them, especially re the build quality of the M1
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 14:02   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Mantas M1 or Sarca Excel

Been using a 45-lb M1 for about 12 years on our 38-foot, 20,000lb motorsailor. Has not dragged once after setting. The strongest blows it has held in were only up to 40-45 knots for many hours, in sandy mud. Ours has survived many routine 180- and 360-degree swings with the approach of squalls and thunderstorms. No visible damage, but when these hit the anchor was very well buried in good holding. A couple of times we have managed to foul the anchor with our own chain when dropping too quick. The chain has hooked around the bolt holding one end of the hoop. Pulled it up, set it properly, and no problem. Galvanizing has held up well, though there is a little surface rust on the very point where it digs in. By the way, I find the hoop very handy for moving the anchor about the boat.
Old 07-03-2024, 01:34   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

We have spent about 2000+ nights on the hook over the past 8 years. We have a 30kg mantus m1

Only dragged once in a place where everyone drags. No strictiral rust or any other issues

We have anchored in every type of substrate and conditions including 50+ knot einds an 3 meter swells. Also heavy currents

Never had an issue
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 02:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I will be upgrading my anchor (Currentley Rocna Original) and after watching Panopes videos have narrowed it down to either a Mantas M1 or Sarca Excel.

I am leaning to towards the M1, but have a bit of concern about the engineering/strength with Panopes lowly score of 2 for that catagory.

Are there any long term users of either that can share their experiences with them, especially re the build quality of the M1
What is wrong with the Rocna that you think you need to upgrade?
Wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 17:46   #5
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering1 View Post
What is wrong with the Rocna that you think you need to upgrade?

To be honest, nothing really I have had many hundreds of safe nights with it.

It has failed to set once in seagrass, which I think most anchors would have struggled with as it was very dense and has dragged once in the Brisbane river on an outgoing tide and 50Kt gusts - Brissy river is average holding at the best of times!

I have someone who is interested in buying it and after watching Panopes videos and the fact I am heading off through SE Asia soon I thought I might treat myself to an anchor upgrade.
Old 07-03-2024, 18:44   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
....... I thought I might treat myself to an anchor upgrade.
That is a good enough reason .

Some years ago when faced with having to upgrade a copy of a CQR, I had to decide between the M1 or the Excel. I ended up going with the Excel simply because the local distributor opened up his shop on new years day (at no cost) to let me pick up the anchor because it was the only day that worked for me - i.e great customer service.

I never did find out it if it was a better overall anchor than the M1 but I never had a problem with the Excel.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 19:05   #7

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Don't know anything about Mantus.
My boat came with a rusty Delta and a Rocna. This Rocna has been used by previous owner halfway round the world.
I replaced the Delta with a Sarca Excel. After I just purchased the boat, on my may home, I was anchored in a smallish cove (Refuge Cove) with the Rocna as I had still the Rocna attached as primary anchor. Winds of 40-45 knots, like bullets changing directions of 90-130 degrees every 5 minutes or so. After a couple of hours it was evident boat was crabbing toward the rock shore, of course around midnight.
motored forward, hauled in the Rocna, dropped the Sarca, and did not move since then.
Needless to say, the Sarca became my primary anchor. Sarca is 50 kg, Rocna 40 kg, maybe the additional weight was a factor as well.
Old 07-03-2024, 19:42   #8

Boat: Tartan 40

I changed from Rocna to Mantus after some drags and failures to set with Rocna, particularly in soft substrate.
M1 is superb and I’ve seen no evidence of structural liability. My marina neighbor got an Excel as he couldn’t fit the rollbar. We are both happy. I think the Mantus is a bit easier to set in a muddy bottom.

My opinion based on direct experience matches Panope’s. Rocnas are vastly overrated. Even Morgan’s Cloud which used to recommend them, no longer does.
If you’re in a firmer/rockier type cruising grounds, perhaps Excel is a better choice. Muddier and softer bottoms, perhaps M1. Mostly overlap between 2 great anchors
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 20:15   #9
UFO

Lots of great Info - Thanks Everyone
Old 07-03-2024, 23:23   #10

Boat: Outremer 55L

The version 1 of the Rocna was shown in real life and Panope’s testing to easily foul its relatively small hoop. In particular, failure to reset due to clogged hoop. There is a version 2 of the Rocna that reputedly solves the issue with a bigger and more streamlined hoop.

Mantus M1 has a huge hoop and relatively small bar, hence no clogging of the hoop. But as with any hooped anchor, it can be difficult or impossible to fit them in some situations (cats with anchor rollers behind/under the front beam, boats with bow sprits, etc). Then you want a tip-weighted anchor. Spade and Excel are best known of the early new generation designs, in addition to Vulcan, Ultra, Viking, and Mantus M2.

Panope’s testing is a world class resource and worth studying if you’re planning to get a new anchor.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 23:33   #11
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
The version 1 of the Rocna was shown in real life and Panope’s testing to easily foul its relatively small hoop. In particular, failure to reset due to clogged hoop. There is a version 2 of the Rocna that reputedly solves the issue with a bigger and more streamlined hoop.

Mantus M1 has a huge hoop and relatively small bar, hence no clogging of the hoop. But as with any hooped anchor, it can be difficult or impossible to fit them in some situations (cats with anchor rollers behind/under the front beam, boats with bow sprits, etc). Then you want a tip-weighted anchor. Spade and Excel are best known of the early new generation designs, in addition to Vulcan, Ultra, Viking, and Mantus M2.

Panope’s testing is a world class resource and worth studying if you’re planning to get a new anchor.

Not a big fan of the price of the New Rocna

I have tons of room so no issues there. I am leaning towards the M1 and fortunately the size I want is available in Oz as they appear to be sold out for pretty much everything else!
Old 08-03-2024, 01:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
To be honest, nothing really I have had many hundreds of safe nights with it.

It has failed to set once in seagrass, which I think most anchors would have struggled with as it was very dense and has dragged once in the Brisbane river on an outgoing tide and 50Kt gusts - Brissy river is average holding at the best of times!

I have someone who is interested in buying it and after watching Panopes videos and the fact I am heading off through SE Asia soon I thought I might treat myself to an anchor upgrade.
Sarca Excel would be my choice. I don't rate the Mantus or Penope vids. I asked him many probing questions and got very unsatisfactory answers. He did declare a large sum of money from a benefactor. You have to wonder who is backing him. He pushes the M1 but I have seen the Mantus official video of that anchor setting and it took several anchor lengths to set. Eventually Mantus pulled that video. A Sarca, Spade or Rocna all set in their own length. This is super important when you are setting in seagrass. Any dragging through the grass just fouls the anchor.
We have been using a Spade for many years as liveaboards. Love the anchor but hate the terrible galvanising. Thousands of night at anchor
Old 08-03-2024, 04:28   #13

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Sarca Excel would be my choice. I don't rate the Mantus or Penope vids. I asked him many probing questions and got very unsatisfactory answers. He did declare a large sum of money from a benefactor. You have to wonder who is backing him. He pushes the M1 but I have seen the Mantus official video of that anchor setting and it took several anchor lengths to set. Eventually Mantus pulled that video. A Sarca, Spade or Rocna all set in their own length. This is super important when you are setting in seagrass. Any dragging through the grass just fouls the anchor.
We have been using a Spade for many years as liveaboards. Love the anchor but hate the terrible galvanising. Thousands of night at anchor

Really? I've watched most of Panope's videos- they speak for themselves on performance. You're the first one to question him and I'm pretty sure you are slinging mud here. If he has a benefactor 1000:1 it's from Patron, not an anchor manufacturer. He's mentioned many times that he's not sponsored.
That said Spade is a great anchor. Not as good in soft mud per real world reports which is why I chose M1.
Rocna over M1 is laughable. Watch the videos. I've learned to back down slowly as the M1 almost jerks us to a stop every time.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 04:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Really? I've watched most of Panope's videos- they speak for themselves on performance. You're the first one to question him and I'm pretty sure you are slinging mud here. If he has a benefactor 1000:1 it's from Patron, not an anchor manufacturer. He's mentioned many times that he's not sponsored.
That said Spade is a great anchor. Not as good in soft mud per real world reports which is why I chose M1.
Rocna over M1 is laughable. Watch the videos. I've learned to back down slowly as the M1 almost jerks us to a stop every time.
Panope is doing movies. He can portray what ever he wants.
He needs to declare his sponsors or he isn't independent
Old 08-03-2024, 05:58   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Panope is doing movies. He can portray what ever he wants.
He needs to declare his sponsors or he isn't independent
He may not be a perfect source of testing, but he has done the most comprehensive testing of a wide range of anchors that anyone has done in a very long time, including with underwater video to see behavior. Despite any weak points in his testing or unknowns in funding sources (keep in mind he started doing this testing with boats and anchors he already had access to before he asked for any outside funding), it's still the best test data available to us at this point.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, manta