Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 06:21   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7
Re: Manson Supreme Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Can someone explain why boat length (as opposed to weight) should have any bearing on anchor weight. I would think that a ten ton boat, whether 30 feet LOA or 50 feet LOA, would require the same sized anchor. I must be wrong because the experts say that it's so... but how can this be?
:
My guess would be because windage increases with boat size.
mawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:28   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Boat: Sold my tri, looking for a cat
Posts: 2,405
Images: 1
Re: Manson Supreme Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Can someone explain why boat length (as opposed to weight) should have any bearing on anchor weight. I would think that a ten ton boat, whether 30 feet LOA or 50 feet LOA, would require the same sized anchor. I must be wrong because the experts say that it's so... but how can this be?

Sorry should have read the above post more closely
I'd look at windage and weight as bigger factors than length. If you have a big full cockpit enclosure, a flybridge, or a multihull your windage will add significantly to anchor pull. (Weight only comes into play when considering dynamic snatch loads from veering and waves.)

At any rate, the OP should consider adding a windlass if you can't man-handle the weight of the right-sized anchor for your boat. Yes it's expensive and a major modification, but it's cheaper than fixing/replacing your boat if you drag aground. You'll sleep better too.

(edit: Yes go one size up, and don't even consider anything less than 25# for your size boat. If you're cruising you need to be able to hold in storms. JMHO)
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 17:12   #18
nes
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Diego, Ca
Boat: Hunter 326
Posts: 151
Re: Manson Supreme Size?

I have a 32 ft Hunter, about 10,000 lbs. I went with the 35 lb Manson Supreme, 50 ft of chain, and 250 ft of rode, all pulled up with a windlass.

Very satisfied, it holds very well, we were in Galveston bay, had anchored in 7 ft of water, (we draw 5). Wind was at 10-15 knts, predicted to drop to about 5 in 2 hours, at about 1 hour wind speed went to 37+ knts, and in a different direction, so of course we moved a bit. Either we did not drag, or the anchor immediately reset. BTW, at the 2 hour point, wind speed was down to 5 knots, so the prediction was correct, not good enough, but it was still correct.

My recommendation, go big & get enough chain so you can stay where you want.
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 17:39   #19
Registered User
 
JK n Smitty's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hingham, MA
Boat: Catalina 310
Posts: 637
I have a Catalina 310 at about 15,000 lbs when cruising. I have the 35 with 30 feet of chain. The only thing I would change is more chain for chafe reasons.
__________________
https://svsmitty.wordpress.com/
JK n Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 17:47   #20
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: O'Day 28
Posts: 3,908
pirate Re: Manson Supreme Size?

Yepper. Thanks. I started to call the factory but stopped when I realized that my boat would have been the extreme application for the 15# so it really is a no brainer to go for the 25 +.

Sleeping on it, I think I need a windlass. Re-anchoring in the middle of the night is no fun, as we all know. So a 35 is a real possibility.

The local We$t has a 35# Delta for $140 but the Made in China sticker put me off.

With all this new stuff, I'll probably be barred from the $500 a month threads.

However, I sure have cold beer, and I kinda like the hum of the Air X.

And yes, I take back all those comments about fancy stuff.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 18:04   #21
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Posts: 1,785
Re: Manson Supreme Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Yepper. Thanks. I started to call the factory but stopped when I realized that my boat would have been the extreme application for the 15# so it really is a no brainer to go for the 25 +.

Sleeping on it, I think I need a windlass. Re-anchoring in the middle of the night is no fun, as we all know. So a 35 is a real possibility.

The local We$t has a 35# Delta for $140 but the Made in China sticker put me off.

With all this new stuff, I'll probably be barred from the $500 a month threads.

However, I sure have cold beer, and I kinda like the hum of the Air X.

And yes, I take back all those comments about fancy stuff.
I got into anchoring years ago with my Hunter 30. At that time before our harbors filled with ell grass, I used a 33# Bruce with 25-30" of 3/8 chain. Later I upgraded it to a 44#.

My experience may be helpful to you and because I like to sleep at night, I would go oversized with the 35 but you do need a bow roller AND I DON'T RECOMMEND A DELTA! Been there, done that! They plow and over time your boat could be on the beach.

But getting back to my Hunter. I installed a bow roller that fit the Bruce and a roller makes a huge difference. I used to sit in the anchor locker, give hand signals to Wifey who would power the boat forward removing the load from the road. I could easily retrieve even my 44# Bruce with the chain, no problems at all. I just sat there and pulled backwards retrieving the chain. Always had to use the boat's engine to free the anchor and then simply haul it onboard, secure it and we were done.

I do have a windlass with my 40 Silverton which uses an 80#MS. If I had a 30-35' sailboat, I would try it without a windlass.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 18:14   #22
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: O'Day 28
Posts: 3,908
pirate Re: Manson Supreme Size?

Thanks Foggy. All good points. I wasn't interested in the Delta but wondered why it was half price. I'm going with a Manson.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 18:20   #23
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back in California working on the farm
Boat: Westsail 28 and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,483
Images: 5
Re: Manson Supreme Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Can someone explain why boat length (as opposed to weight) should have any bearing on anchor weight. I would think that a ten ton boat, whether 30 feet LOA or 50 feet LOA, would require the same sized anchor. I must be wrong because the experts say that it's so... but how can this be?

Sorry should have read the above post more closely
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawfish View Post
My guess would be because windage increases with boat size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I'd look at windage and weight as bigger factors than length. If you have a big full cockpit enclosure, a flybridge, or a multihull your windage will add significantly to anchor pull. (Weight only comes into play when considering dynamic snatch loads from veering and waves.)

At any rate, the OP should consider adding a windlass if you can't man-handle the weight of the right-sized anchor for your boat. Yes it's expensive and a major modification, but it's cheaper than fixing/replacing your boat if you drag aground. You'll sleep better too.

(edit: Yes go one size up, and don't even consider anything less than 25# for your size boat. If you're cruising you need to be able to hold in storms. JMHO)
All good points. as I write this, I'm anchored at Avila Beach in Southern Ca. on my way south (using pirated Wifi by the way) I have a Hallberg Rassy 35. Last time on the scales was 17,000 lbs. That's pretty much loaded. It has the classic windshield and is of medium freeboard/windage. I choose a Rocna 44 pounder. I'm quite impressed with it. I haven't experienced anything more than 25kts of wind but I can tell you it sets instantly. I went one size up and sleep well.
I'm amazed at the people who have become adapted to dragging as a part of life. I don't think that has to be.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 18:34   #24
RTB
Registered User
 
RTB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Home port Kemah, TX Currently in Brunswick Georgia
Boat: Hunter 36
Posts: 1,524
Images: 2
Re: Manson Supreme Size?

We have a Manson Supreme 35 # on our 36' Hunter. I'm a noob really, having left Kemah, Tx. about a year ago. We have anchored in everything, from Galveston, to Louisiana, to Mississippi, to Alabama, to Florida, to the Exumas, and now in Georgia. The Manson has always set, despite my lack of experience in the beginning. Fortunately, we have never dragged, even with 50 + knots during a thunderstorm in George Town, Bahamas, this past June. Maybe just luck, maybe a really good anchor. We have 100' 5/16 HT chain, plus 120' of rode. I think the 35# was recommended for our 36', and I didn't go larger. I also do not have a windlass, and you don't need one probably. Hell, I'm 61 years old, and 135 lbs.

Ralph
New anchor | sailing away with R & B
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:48   #25
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 17,970
Re: Manson Supreme Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
We have a Manson Supreme 35 # on our 36' Hunter. I'm a noob really, having left Kemah, Tx. about a year ago. We have anchored in everything, from Galveston, to Louisiana, to Mississippi, to Alabama, to Florida, to the Exumas, and now in Georgia. The Manson has always set, despite my lack of experience in the beginning. Fortunately, we have never dragged, even with 50 + knots during a thunderstorm in George Town, Bahamas, this past June. Maybe just luck, maybe a really good anchor. We have 100' 5/16 HT chain, plus 120' of rode. I think the 35# was recommended for our 36', and I didn't go larger. I also do not have a windlass, and you don't need one probably. Hell, I'm 61 years old, and 135 lbs.

Ralph
New anchor | sailing away with R & B
Hey Ralph,

Long time no post, so glad to hear that it is still happening for you guys, and that the Manson is working well.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II, working our way back down channel now... enough of city life!
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paracelle, size

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:17.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.