Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 05:20   #1

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: Let's Talk Grounding Tackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
By the way, it's "ground tackle", not "grounding tackle".
Yup, realized that after I published but you can't edit the posts on this forum.
Old 26-02-2014, 05:26   #2

On the stern anchor for slowing down approaching bridges, I don't think this couple was pulling our leg. I think this was an honest concern they had during their cruise on the ICW and a technique they used. Doesn't make it the right way to go.

Cruising New England, we don't have a lot of opening bridges to deal with on a regular basis. And the ones we do encounter are pretty strict as to protocol on traffic flow and how they open. The only ones we have experience with are in Gloucester. You would never power up to these with the bridge closed because they are so narrow that only one boat can go through at a time.

For those who have done the ICW, did you have any issues with the opening bridges? Was it your experience that the bridge operators tried to time opening too close?

Thanks,

Jesse
Old 26-02-2014, 06:26   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
----

For those who have done the ICW, did you have any issues with the opening bridges? Was it your experience that the bridge operators tried to time opening too close?
----
I've got a lot of ICW bridge experience. Don't think in terms of the bridge tender's timing, think in terms of timing your approach to the opening. The bridge tender is in control, it's your job to deal with it.

Using a stern anchor to stop/slow for a bridge is nuts. What about the other boat traffic that would have to deal with a suddenly anchored boat in the middle of the channel? As another poster said, turn around quickly or apply full reverse. When I have the current behind me I usually turn around and face into the current while waiting for the bridge, then spin around when it's time to go through the bridge.

Lastly, bridges open at widely varying rates of speed.
Old 26-02-2014, 07:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I've got a lot of ICW bridge experience. Don't think in terms of the bridge tender's timing, think in terms of timing your approach to the opening. The bridge tender is in control, it's your job to deal with it.

Using a stern anchor to stop/slow for a bridge is nuts. What about the other boat traffic that would have to deal with a suddenly anchored boat in the middle of the channel? As another poster said, turn around quickly or apply full reverse. When I have the current behind me I usually turn around and face into the current while waiting for the bridge, then spin around when it's time to go through the bridge.

Thanks. This has been great info. Again, I thought it sounded a little off but I am glad I included it for the discussion it generated.

Any thoughts on having a stern anchor for when you anchor for the night on our way down the ICW? As I mentioned before, I only use multiple anchors when absolutely necessary. I will have two of the bow (the Manson Supreme and 13 lbs Danforth) and one in the bilge for a reserve anchor when needed.

Thanks again.

Jesse
Old 27-02-2014, 07:48   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post

Exactly.

I also spent more than a decade cruising SW Florida and sailing a lot in the ICW. ("Sanibel Bridge, Sanibel Bridge, Sanibel Bridge, this is Sailing Vessel X . . . ")

You would first of all never charge a closed bridge at high speed. This is insanely stupid. What you do is you hover or orbit at a certain distance from the bridge and wait for it to start opening. Then you proceed at a speed calculated to get you there at the right time with a comfortable margin of error. There is absolutely no need whatsover to turn it into some kind of drama. Like most things at sea, getting through opening bridges should be done deliberately, calmly, smoothly, with good planning and coordination.

In my experience, the bridge operators on the ICW are highly professional and very courteous. I always talk to them on the radio and agree the timing. There is always plenty of time to get through -- they would never suddenly close the bridge to put anyone in danger. They open -- you pass through -- they watch you get through -- they close, leaving a comfortable margin. Absolutely no need for any kind of drama.

As to stopping quickly in this or any other situation: throwing out an anchor is much slower and more awkward, plus more risky than just about any other way to stop. The only reason to stop this way is in a terrible emergency where you've lost power and, probably also steerage. It takes a fair amount of time to get an anchor out, even if it is rigged for quick deployment -- so even if the maneuver is successful, it will take much more time and distance to stop compared to using your rudder and/or engine. Plus, there is a risk that the rode will get tangled. Plus, there is a signficant risk that the anchor will not immediately set. Plus, once it's down, you have to get it back up again, and you are immobilized -- in a channel in front of a bridge?? That is very poor seamanship, putting other vessels at risk. If the person who told you this was not joking, then I shudder to think . . .
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 07:25   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
On the stern anchor for slowing down approaching bridges, I don't think this couple was pulling our leg. I think this was an honest concern they had during their cruise on the ICW and a technique they used. Doesn't make it the right way to go.
I didn't acknowledge this bit because I assumed you were joking. What your friends were suggesting is a great way to ventilate the stern with hatch holes where the stern cleats used to be.

The proper technique approaching a closed bridge is to learn how to keep station ("hover") under power. Depending on "traffic", wind and current, this takes practice, but it's basic stuff where one has lift or bascule bridges.

Here, I'm in gear, dead slow, against wind and current, both light. I'm in neutral about 75% of the time, meaning I'm going forward about 1/2 of a knot. I have plenty of distance from the bridge, which is about halfway up here. I have a handheld in the cockpit on the bridge operator's channel, the base VHF on ch. 16 and a 12 year old kid watching the signals and telling me about nearby boats (both behind me here). My sails are furled and my fenders are out in case I run into someone less prepared and/or panicky.

No stern anchor required! If the engine died, I would raise the main, sail out of the channel and anchor off until I could fix the engine...hopefully, in
under one hour until the next bridge lift.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 07:57   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I didn't acknowledge this bit because I assumed you were joking. What your friends were suggesting is a great way to ventilate the stern with hatch holes where the stern cleats used to be.

The proper technique approaching a closed bridge is to learn how to keep station ("hover") under power. Depending on "traffic", wind and current, this takes practice, but it's basic stuff where one has lift or bascule bridges.

Here, I'm in gear, dead slow, against wind and current, both light. I'm in neutral about 75% of the time, meaning I'm going forward about 1/2 of a knot. I have plenty of distance from the bridge, which is about halfway up here. I have a handheld in the cockpit on the bridge operator's channel, the base VHF on ch. 16 and a 12 year old kid watching the signals and telling me about nearby boats (both behind me here). My sails are furled and my fenders are out in case I run into someone less prepared and/or panicky.

No stern anchor required! If the engine died, I would raise the main, sail out of the channel and anchor off until I could fix the engine...hopefully, in
under one hour until the next bridge lift.

That's the way to do it!
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote