Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2014, 13:31   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28
Anchor for Bristol 26

It seems all of my boat purchases come with danforth knockoffs only.

It does have chain and rode. I'll be inspecting that shortly. I'd like to have 30 feet of chain and 200 feet of rode.

But the anchor. Last year I was able to get a good used Lewmar Bruce.

What would you recommend buying new and what is a good size? Boat displaces 5500 lbs.

I will be anchoring daily. Everything from the muddy Salish sea/pnw ground to the California coast and Mexico. I think I should get the biggest size as is reasonable so if it starts blowing I sleep soundly.

Last year I had really good luck anchoring. My only problems were from others occasionally dragging into me.

I'm thinking a Manson 25 lb. it's also a bonus for me that it is made in New Zealand, rocha is twice the price and made in China.

Claws are cheaper, and I don't hear anything about cqr anymore. I always kind of wanted a cqr. What is best these days and for my boat? I'll have the danforth as backup.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 13:46   #2

Re: Anchor for Bristol 26

I would try one of the newer designs, as you've mentioned. I think you have the size about right. I would avoid Claws. If not the above then I would go with a Delta. If you dont have a windlass then your plan looks good, but I would go with the biggest diameter rode you can afford/fit.... much easier on the hands. If you can get a small windlass then 1/4" longer chain would be nice. many opinions I imagine.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 14:20   #3

How hard is it to install a windlass? I have good battery power and charging so that wouldn't be an issue.

I'm trying to attach a picture of my bow now. Last picture didn't come through.

Is a windlass worth it on a small boat? How many feet of chain could a run? I don't want to overweight the bow. I am a singlehanded though, so I don't overload my boat too much in general. Just the bow weight I would worry about. Don't want it to sail poorly or bury it in the waves.

What is the IDEAL cruising set up for this boat? I'm making it into a mini blue water cruiser.

Are the next gen anchors really better? It's not just marketing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	76891  
Old 27-02-2014, 14:21   #4

Can you see my photo. I can't. It just says rotate image. Hmm.
Old 27-02-2014, 14:30   #5

Boat: Toy boat

Not much room forward of the hatch.

My neck needed the stretch any way.
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 14:47   #6

Cant tell... is that hatch on the cabin top or foredeck? what is that black tube near the bow? How old are you? (if you are fit and under 45 I would forego the windlass)
You can just put a manual windlass on there too instead of all the complicated electrical etc. hand-in the rode in normal weather, use the windlass for the last bit or in rough weather.
You dont even have a bow roller!
Minimally you need:
*A good strong bow roller that will hold your choice of anchor from banging on the bow when stowed.
* A good size hawse pipe to feed the rode into as you pull it in. (kinds like pushing a wet noodle!)
*A good size cleat with a good size backing plate. Or one cleat each side with a Y bridle snubber. (Nylon snubber with a chain hook)
If you want more:
A manual windlass and maybe 150 ft of 1/4 chain backed up by nylon.. The chain will self stow thru the Hawse as you crank it in!
If you want even more:
An electric windlass with a switch at the bow and at the helm. You can motor up to the anchor pulling in rode as you go. Real helpfull in a choppy condition when singlehanding. But a bit complicated for a 26 ft boat really.

Old 27-02-2014, 18:46   #7

Hatch on deck.
Age 35
Black tube is an extendable carbon tube for spinnaker. Not my install.

Do winches retrieve rope too?

I know I need a bow roller but they aren't too expensive. Hopefully easy to install.
Old 27-02-2014, 19:23   #8
TDC

I like the idea of adding a bow roller. Unless you're racing I prefer to have that anchor out and visible in case you need to do it fast.

Personally would skip the windlass / hawse pipe unless you go all chain.

I'd probably throw a delta (fixed plow) on it. New style (roll bar) might not fit with your furler and retractable bowsprit.
TDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 19:35   #9

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-121420.html

Use the tables and size your system.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 20:54   #10

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Get an aluminum spade with 15 ft chain and then rode. Will be light and easy to hand hall. Great fast set and tremendous holing power also comes apart for storage.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 22:01   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If it was my boat, I'd install a little low profile windlass that can handle both chain and rope. This is especially nice to have if you are single handing the boat.
If the anchor is mounted right, you can launch or recover your anchor without ever leaving the cockpit. The Lewmar V700 would be a good choice.

As for an anchor I'd use a 22 pound Delta. The Delta is a good anchor to use with a remotely controlled windlass as it is designed to self launch.
Lewmar Galvanised Delta Anchors

I'd also use 30 feet of 1/4" G4 chain spliced to a couple hundred feet of 1/2" rope. Three strand rope is fine, the newer plaited lines will stack better in your rope locker. I use three strand with no problems.
Old 28-02-2014, 08:46   #12

OK... at age 35 and the size of your boat you can certainly live without a windlass. Have a good pair of gloves specifically for anchor retrieval. I would install a big cleat well backed in the center of the foredeck, very handy to hold the rode while you take a breather or if you need to run back and do something in the cockpit. (like motor forward some more.)
As far as manual windlasses go you can get a small horizontal with a rope capstan on one side as well as the chain gypsy. or just a capstan alone I imagine. The big advantage of a windlass is using chain rode though. If using rope rode, I would get a windlass that allows you to "tail" the end... windlasses that grip the rope and try to push it below deck really only work well in calm weather and leave you helpless when something doesnt work.
It's a small boat, keep it simple.

Tags
anchor