Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2016, 08:44   #1

Ideal Windlass Co.

Having recently purchased a used Ideal windlass, I called the factory and and got what I think was Scheafer Marine. A very nice lady told me that they had bought the Ideal Co a month ago and were just sorting through things. I was looking for info on breakers and solinoids, and she said they werent sure of their inventory yet. She looked some things up for me and Emailed the info to me. My point is that if you have an Ideal and think you might need spares, you probably should get started on ordering. The old phone number on their web site still works. Just a heads up. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:57   #2

Re: Ideal Windlass Co.

That is sad news indeed. Cliffe Raymond and his family have run a great operation for a long time. Let's all hope the new owner will continue the tradition of producing a very high quality product here at home.
Jack Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:18   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Legacy, sedan, 42'

The Ideal Windless Company was indeed a remarkable operation for many years. Their standard of excellence and customer service is a model for many small businesses. I know first hand that original owners of companies sometimes get to the point where it is time to sell and move on. Hopefully the new owners will continue the commitment to excellence and will grow the company. I have friends who have had excellent interactions and business with the new owners.

Steve Bedford
Steve Bedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Schaefer has had a very good reputation, so they might (hopefully) continue Ideal’s tradition.

“... We cannot think of another company we would sell to. Ideal and Schaefer have long shared a tradition of quality manufacturing and we know that will continue. ~ – Cliffe Raymond, Ideal Windlass Company

Effective immediately, Schaefer Marine will continue sales of all Ideal Windlass products, as well as service existing models. Cliffe Raymond will continue in a consulting role with Schaefer, ensuring continuity and new product development...”

https://www.schaefermarine.com/schae...dlass-company/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:18   #5

Boat: Bristol 45.5

We have a Ideal windlass on our boat , it is an original piece equipment . 36 years old and works as good as new . They are a beautiful piece of kit . Glad to hear the tradition will continue .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:11   #6

I was so impressed with the Ideal that I used on a friends boat that when I saw one on Craigslist at an almost give away price, I drove 4 hours in the pouring rain to buy it. When I got home and looked it up on the Ideal web site, I found out it sold for $4750. I almost fainted. It is one size larger than recommended for my 34 foot sloop, but I like oversize ground tackle anyway. I just saw one for sale on the Los Angeles Craigslist for $500 this morning. I think a 30 year old Ideal is probably still a better windlass than most of the brand new electrics. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 13:43   #7

Boat: Young Sun cc 43

G Jordan, thanks for the information on Ideal. I just called to order some parts I needed. Just a heads up, they are changing some part numbers and also don't have everything updated in regards to inventory yet. Be patient and double check the part and have them double check the inventory if they say it's not in stock. Fortunately Cliff was there, heard me making the order and was able to help. The woman I talked with was very nice and definitely wanting to help as well.
I talked with Cliff for a while (always gracious, open and helpful) and he assured me that they would continue to make parts for all old models, will do the rebuilds and will continue to build the same windlasses. He said he will continue to be there and help for a while. He felt great about the transition and thought things would continue or even improve given the greater resources Schaefer has.
Just us is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass