Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 00:16   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: How many anchors do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
question where do you anchor that you need almost a half mile of rode?

Just curious
I have more but leave about another 150 m of 20 mm nylon and some other odds and ends ashore in storage. I also have a Danforth style anchor which is about 4' high and which lived in the bilge on my previous boat but wont fit in the one I have now.

I also carry a couple of six part 1" line blocks and some heavy galvanized shackles.

I went on a reef in the dark once and used the big Danforth and long nylon rode with all the sails up and sheeted in amidships to drag the boat about 60 m side ways across the reef into deep water the next morning. Also I cruise in cyclone areas and might need lots of breast lines and a good set for and aft anchor in a narrow creek.

You can have too many pairs of shoes and too much underwear and some mad impetuous souls even carry an iron on a boat but you can never have too much cordage.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 01:28   #17

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
question where do you anchor that you need almost a half mile of rode?

Just curious
My answer: most any cyclone hole (hurricane hole or typhoon hole - the name changes depending on the locality) in which you find yourself.

On Led Myne, we've sat out v close approaches of two named tropical cyclones (i.e. tropical revolving storms) rated at more than 2; a direct hit of one ex-named tropical cyclone; and been prepared for the close approach of one sub-tropical cyclone that did not eventuate.

In two of those cases we were in a designated cyclone anchorage (i.e. a mangrove-lined creek with little of its own catchment); in one case we were in the estuary of a named river; in one case we were berthed in a storm-rated marina; and so on.

In the mangrove-lined creek, we used every rode (the 100 metres all chain rode of the best bower; the 200 m. mixed chain and nylon hawser of the small bower; the 200 m. mixed chain and nylon hawser of the stern anchor) plus a reel of polypropylene rope (also otherwise used for stern mooring to shore features in various places) and several long docklines to put the vessel in the centre of a spiderweb.

I doubt that all added up to 900 metres (0.5 nm), but I would have been able to find use for it should I have had 900 m at the time.

The deal with a tropical revolving storm being that it is revolving, so winds are likely to come from at least two different directions if not more. And you need to be prepared for storm surge, logs drifting in rivers engorged by heavy rainfall, other vessels drifting or (pre-storm) asking to borrow spare rope because they are not in cruiser mode (and there's enough to worry about without having to worry about another hull drifting down on you, so ...) and so on.
Old 24-06-2019, 02:47   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

I carry four.

#1. Bower: Rocna on 250’ 3/8” chain
#2. Stern/kedge: 15 kg Bruce on 15’ 1/2” chain + 200’ nylon.
#3. Backup anchor: Large Danforth 60’ 3/8” chain + 150’ nylon.
#4. Storm: Very large Fortress.

Personally, I’d like to go another size up on my bower (currently a 25kg), and would prefer to replace the Danforth with a Mantus.
Old 24-06-2019, 03:32   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

3 anchors, 10kg Rocna, FX16 if it all goes pear shaped and a 2kg Bruce copy for the dinghy when we go to a beach to stop it floating off.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 04:11   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

My 27' boat came with 5 anchors.

1. 20 lb CQR
2. Bruce
3. Danforth
4. Danforth, small
5. Small anchor in bag for PO's dinghy

So far these passed 8 years I've only used the CQR sailing in the Chesapeake Bay (lower 80 miles, both sides)

The CQR has maybe 35' of heavy chain and 250' rode.
The Bruce is rigged with 40' chain and 300' rode and is the backup. No yet used.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 08:41   #21

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
My 27' boat came with 5 anchors.

1. 20 lb CQR
2. Bruce
3. Danforth
4. Danforth, small
5. Small anchor in bag for PO's dinghy

So far these passed 8 years I've only used the CQR sailing in the Chesapeake Bay (lower 80 miles, both sides)

The CQR has maybe 35' of heavy chain and 250' rode.
The Bruce is rigged with 40' chain and 300' rode and is the backup. No yet used.
Not to piss on your parade but this one clealry is the winner for a boat your size
All those wonderful anchors , that never see water on these threads , goes along the lines of , you never know!!
But you never know how fast your boat will go wit hall that weight and chain taken off
I bet those with lots of Metal have lots of tools dupilcated 3x because you never know
3 Anchor IMHO is the correct amount a good modern anchor sized to your boat another in case that one goes and a kedge,
This will allow for most eventualities
We can go on about if you lose that one then that one until we hit infinity at some point you neeed to stop worrying and go sailing
But just my 2 pennies worth
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 08:53   #22

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Five! Love my two Spades. One is Aluminum for kedging etc

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 08:58   #23

I have 3 anchors

Primary (Bower): Rocna Vulcan
Secondary: Fortress
Dinghy Anchor

The secondary is good for kedging, as well as the second anchor as a stern anchor or a Bahama moor.

I don't see a need for a tertiary anchor.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 08:59   #24

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Four. Rocna 40Kg as bower. Spade 100lb. as backup. Fortress 140 as last resort hurricane anchor and finally 40Kg Lewmar on the stern. I want a lightweight Fortress for a kedge but haven’t got around to it yet.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 09:04   #25

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

well, to be fair, one of those is a kedge and one is for the dinghy, it sounds to me! In my neck of the woods that repertoire would not sound extreme to me. If you have to anchor in small coves (bow and stern) and need a kedge to stay off a wall, ya need it. If you get yer anchor stuck in some rocks and ya didn't buoy it to yank it out backwards, yer gonna need more options... to me when I hear folks say they have 2 and one never gets wet, THAT sounds odd to me!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 09:13   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
well, to be fair, one of those is a kedge and one is for the dinghy, it sounds to me! In my neck of the woods that repertoire would not sound extreme to me. If you have to anchor in small coves (bow and stern) and need a kedge to stay off a wall, ya need it. If you get yer anchor stuck in some rocks and ya didn't buoy it to yank it out backwards, yer gonna need more options... to me when I hear folks say they have 2 and one never gets wet, THAT sounds odd to me!
the box is my stern anchor doesn't require chain .
The rest have been in the mud at various times . Sometimes multiples at the same time.
Old 24-06-2019, 10:44   #27

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

3 has worked for me for years. one is Fortress at stern /also for kedging, two at bow/ primary and backup. Also 3# in RIB dinghy.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 10:48   #28

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Depends on what you are doing and the boat size. We have 4 on Mana, 1 on Bill Tilman and 1 on Mintberry Crunch. We could easily go to 3 on Mana though, but they are there and do not seem to be in the way.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 10:51   #29

Boat: Pearson

I always carry three.
Old 24-06-2019, 11:32   #30

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I have a Rocna 25kg on 330 ft of 3/8 chain, a Bruce 44lb on 55 ft of chain and 200 ft of nylon brait and a large Danforth on 25ft of chain and 200ft of nylon. I gave away the CQR that was on the boat and junked the Delta I foolishly bought. Oh, and an awful dinghy anchor of the folding grapnel type.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor