Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2017, 14:11   #46

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: How Close Is Too Close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were a set of rules! ..................
Yes and signs could be posted in every anchorage.

Really it's hard to find people following the existing rules.
Old 09-03-2017, 14:25   #47
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
The neat circles in some of the prior posts cause me to make one added point, local knowledge, wind an current forecasts, and a tide table can help. But now we are moving rapidly toward the human anchor watch, with a regular "look see" mandatory, even if there is insufficient crew for a full time watch schedule.
Without a doubt; rope vs. chain, mono vs. cat.

The neat circles is nothing more than a simple way I have learned to explain the problem to beginners as a logical starting point, illustrating how swing circles can safely overlap, if you--and everyone else--is smart about it. I've also been places where you hung fenders on both sides and just plain expected contact, after a stream of late-night arrivals squeezed in. It's not always as bad as it seems, if the waters are truly protected.
Old 09-03-2017, 15:43   #48

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Please do not, actually, do this. This causes real chaos as other boats try to avoid getting your buoy line in their props. In a crowded anchorage, other boats will swing over your anchor as a matter of course. Putting a buoy in their way is just -- not good.
I guess you guys anchor in MUCH more crowded anchorage than I do. Pity.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 16:09   #49

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
OK, that's your opinion nothing more. It's a request from one individual. If someone wants to or feel the need to use a buoy, that is their right to do so.

In general, the first boat in the anchorage gets to "make the rules". It's everyone else's responsibility to anchor so as to not interfere with boats already anchored.
Rights come with responsibilities … too many of us seem to have forgotten this part of the deal.

In this case it is not just an opinion; the FACT is that the use of anchor buoys means fewer boats are able to use the same space. It’s akin to an unused mooring — it occupies a space that could be safely and effectively used by others.

There are good and valid reasons to use an anchor buoy, just like there are good reasons to sometimes use two (or more) anchors. But these are the exceptions, not the general rule. If you’re anchoring off by yourself, in a place that is never busy, then it doesn’t matter what you do. But if you’re in a busy place with no bottom fouling to worry about, then hogging more space than you need with an anchor buoy is simply selfish.
Old 09-03-2017, 16:18   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius99eh View Post
Eventually, YOU'LL be very sorry that you ever used your stupid float.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 16:27   #51

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Put a buoy over your anchor so everyone knows where it is (and if the buoy line is tied to the anchor crown you can use it to pull the anchor out backwards should it foul). Also watch out for the boats with rope rodes. Typically they will put out much more line and swing in a much larger circle. It's a crapshoot. Getting there early, putting out lots of fenders, and having a steel boat are all comfort factors.
The PO of my boat had a couple of those onboard. They are orange and Styrofoam.

Sounds like a good idea but I haven't used one yet because I usually don't anchor near more than 2-5 boats over an area of several hundred yards
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 16:35   #52

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I often ask a nearby boat where their anchor is before I set mine. Not always clear with reversing tidal currents. Besides which I want to anchor for the overnight weather, not the gentle breeze that might be blowing from the opposite direction right now and to which the other boats are lying. Talking to the other boat at least let's them know that you care - and gives you an idea of the attitude you'll have to deal with if you screw up
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 16:37   #53

Boat: a sailing boat

Anchoring where there are very many coming and going boats (e.g. popular Caribbean anchorages) should be done without an anchor float/buoy.

Mind the dinghies that WILL catch your buoy with their props as well as the late incomer that for a reason know to him only (yes, it is invariably a he) decides they he must check that spot ahead of your boat where there is SO MUCH OPEN WATER. And all this at midnight (if you are lucky) or better yet at four in the morning (if you are regular).

So, be a smart person and skip the anchor buoy test.

Or be stupid and suffer the consequences.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 16:41   #54

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
I often ask a nearby boat where their anchor is before I set mine. Not always clear with reversing tidal currents. Besides which I want to anchor for the overnight weather, not the gentle breeze that might be blowing from the opposite direction right now and to which the other boats are lying. Talking to the other boat at least let's them know that you care - and gives you an idea of the attitude you'll have to deal with if you screw up
The last time I did that, I interrupted a couple in flagrante delicto in their cockpit. Yeah, that was too close.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 16:43   #55

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Made their attitude real clear huh 😂😂
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 00:53   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
OK, that's your opinion nothing more. It's a request from one individual. If someone wants to or feel the need to use a buoy, that is their right to do so.

In general, the first boat in the anchorage gets to "make the rules". It's everyone else's responsibility to anchor so as to not interfere with boats already anchored.
What do "rights" have to do with it? Nothing.

It's a fact, and not an opinion, that anchor buoys create massive interference with other boats in a crowded anchorage. If you don't care about that; if you are happy to think that later boats are obligated to deal with whatever foolish thing you do, having come in earlier, then, well --

I guess you can say that everyone has the "right" to be a donkey . . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:00   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes -- we've been talking about crowded anchorages.

I spend summers in the Baltic, and last year out of probably 100 nights at anchor, I think I shared an anchorage with even one other boat only once -- in Kiel Fjord waiting for the canal.

If there is tons of room, like this, then an anchor buoy is not such a big problem -- no more than a crab pot.

But if you have that much room -- there is also no particular need to "warn others where my anchor is". And the anchor buoy -- like an unlighted, unflagged crab plot -- is still a hazard to fishing boats and dinghies. So if you need a trip line, even in uncrowded places, I suggest a better way to do it is to run it up your chain, as previously discussed.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:33   #58

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

it's also totally fine to just tie off alongside and have the bigger boat worry about all the anchor stuff, if you are riding a P-boat in the Navy
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:50   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
it's also totally fine to just tie off alongside and have the bigger boat worry about all the anchor stuff,
I am happy to have smaller boats rafted up to me at anchor in reasonable weather, and provided the anchorage is not too crowded. Bring a bottle and raft away.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:55   #60

Boat: Island Packet 40
Talking Re: How Close Is Too Close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Sitting in your cockpit, if you can put your wine glass down on the other boat's cockpit table, that is too close.
No, if the other bloke or bird drinks it your obviously too close.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote