Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 03:17   #1

Anchor upgrade

Hi folks...
We have a Westerly 33ft ketch in Greece....I am considering the minefield of an anchor . Currently we have a CQR 35lb.....
I was thinking of going up to a Lewmar Delta 15kg or maybe 20kg even.
We use 70m of 8mm chain at present.
If I were to stretch the budget which Rocna ? Their site is strange on the sizing chart.
We are liveaboards and need to sleep whilst on the hook !
Dorado33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 03:30   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Anchor upgrade

Keep it simple then, & get the same sized Rocna as you're proposing in a Delta; 15kg or 20kg. You'll likely sleep better if you go bigger. And that said, if your budget's tight, look at Mantus anchors. They're less $ per lb/kg than are Rocnas & other new generation anchors (Mantus, & Spade). In addition to being stowable.

All of the above anchors provide good numbers detailing the anchor's physical size, so see what'll fit your roller when considering them. But also know that any of the new gen anchors will set & hold better than Deltas & CQRs.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 03:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I cruised for a few years on a 32' racer/cruiser using a 35 lb CQR. A few times found it not quite adequate. Even though new generation anchors are much better I would still sleep better with a 20 Kg version in your situation.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 04:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dorado.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 04:32   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado33 View Post
If I were to stretch the budget which Rocna ? Their site is strange on the sizing chart.

Welcome to the forum Dorado.

I think the Rocna sizes are more reliastic than Delta suggests.

There is an incentive for anchor manufacturers to recommend anchors that are too small. The main advantage is when supplying anchors to companies like Beneteau that include an anchor as part of their original equipment. The yacht manufacturer cannot supply an anchor that is smaller than the anchor manufacturer recommends. By choosing an anchor manufacturer that recommends a very small anchor, there are considerable savings not just for the anchor, but anchor winch etc.

So the anchor manufacturer that recommends the smallest anchor size is likely to win the lucrative supply contracts.

There is also a perception from the anchor buying public that the company that recommends the smallest anchors must make the best anchors.

If you really must go with a small anchor, in my view a Mantus or a Rocna will easily beat the same sized Delta. However, I would not recommend going smaller than Rocna or Mantus recommend, no matter which anchor you choose. It should also be noted that the Rocna warranty, which also covers the anchor against deformation (bending), is void if you choose an anchor that is smaller than recommended. The Delta warranty does not cover bending.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 05:15   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

We gave away 2 brand new Delta anchors for FREE a while back.

They make great Mail box post.

Manta or Rocna would get my vote. These usually fit most boats like a glove with no modifications.

You will have to do your homework with a Mantus anchor, as a great many cruisers have had to do some boat modifications to make them work properly.
The Mantus anchors have longer shanks and larger roll bars which may need to be addressed to fit your specific boat.
They are great anchors, but only if they fit.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2243341
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotemar Anchor Mailbox.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	143061  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 05:32   #7

Thumbs up Re: Anchor upgrade

Hi All,

Thanks for all the helpful replies....I think I will save a few more pennies and rather than go for a Delta, get the Rocna 20....I like my sleep too :-)
Old 13-03-2017, 07:08   #8

The old Delta and CQR sizing tables were based on 35 kts wind. Rocna tables are based on holding in 50 kts windS and associated seas. My first Rocna replaced my CQR 20kg, was same wieght and yet undersized and held no problem in 45 kts in an exposed anchorage. We have since upped to 25kg.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 09:30   #9

Hi Bvander,

Ahh thanks for the info I wasn't aware of that...... well I am thinking of replacing the 15kg (35 lb) CQR with a 15kg Rocna albeit I believe the 16kg Manson Supreme would also be an alternative....I am currently using 8mm chain (70m) .... I think the 20kg anchors maybe a bit of overkill as on the Rocna and Manson sites the 33ft yacht of mine at 6.7 tonnes is well within the 15kg limits and some ... What do you think ?
Old 13-03-2017, 09:34   #10

Thinking Manson 20kg now....just need to find a dealer in Greece (Lefkas area) as postage from U.K. is somewhat expensive !
Old 13-03-2017, 10:03   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

I have the Rocna 20 kg on my 13 ton boat. Would have gone a size larger if I were buying new, because why not, but got a great deal on a 20 kg. It has been more than adequate in some pretty fierce conditions, unquestionably superior to my 45 lb. CQR that sits next to it on the rollers now as backup.

20 kg would be more than adequate for your boat. It's also still pretty easily handled.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 10:03   #12
Marine Service Provider

Hello,
You can actually upgrade your upgrade by purchasing a Spade Anchor (30% OFF). Our Anchors are currently priced with in 5% (lower or higher) of a Rocna Anchor.
https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/anchor-sizes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Save-Money-1-537x402.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	143072  
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 12:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado33 View Post
Hi Bvander,

Ahh thanks for the info I wasn't aware of that...... well I am thinking of replacing the 15kg (35 lb) CQR with a 15kg Rocna albeit I believe the 16kg Manson Supreme would also be an alternative....I am currently using 8mm chain (70m) .... I think the 20kg anchors maybe a bit of overkill as on the Rocna and Manson sites the 33ft yacht of mine at 6.7 tonnes is well within the 15kg limits and some ... What do you think ?
15kg would work very well for you. 8mm chain, providing it's G40, is perfect as well. Only thing is a snubber, easy to make from 3 strand nylon.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 14:56   #14

Thanks again Suijin and Bvander....
Price wise the Manson Supreme 20kg is more of less the same as a Rocna 15kg...... ?? Its a tough decision and I want to get it right.....as I said we are living aboard and had a coupe of anchor drags last year with the CQR 15kg.....

I am leaning towards the Manson 20kg unless anyone thinks the Rocna 15kg will do the job for me.... I appreciate there is still no guarantees and have met a few yachts who say their Rocna let them down but only occasionally !
Old 13-03-2017, 15:14   #15

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Manson and Rocna anchors are basically clones. They are both Shovel (concave) anchors.

If the Manson 20kg is the same price as the Rocna 15kg.
Then buy the heavier Manson 20kg.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor