Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: can you lift your anchor by hand from 30ft of water
Yes 115 87.12%
No 17 12.88%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 06:56   #76
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: hand raising your anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Atoll on another thread asks:

"it would be interesting to find out how many out of the posters can actually lift their anchor by hand from 30ft of water in the event of their windlass failing,and what their back up plan is in the event of a failure ."

I don't have a windlass. What I *do* have is great muscle definition in my arms, much of it from lifting that anchor.

Sometimes I'm out by myself, and that can make it hard to drive up on the anchor if needed. So I attach two snatch blocks to my perforated rail and lead loose rode back to the cockpit. Then I drive up on the anchor slowly, pulling the rode into the cockpit as I go (I recommend using a milkbox to catch it so your feet don't get buried in rode). When it's vertical you can lock it off on a cleat (again, mine are on the toe rail and tough), and drive over the anchor if it doesn't want to budge.

Last time I needed to do this, I actually only had to pull up 7' of chain and the anchor by hand, broken free. No biggie.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 06:59   #77
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Not on my current boat.

On previous boat, no problem. A chain stopper and pair of gloves made job easy.

What is a chain stopper?
Old 21-04-2013, 07:03   #78
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
What is a chain stopper?
The reason you shouldn't go out cruising yet. Seriously, Google Maxwell chain stopper and get it. Or fabricate it from steel wire or Spectra etc.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 07:05   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Apparently, we're not very macho by voting "no" while most who vote "yes" actually mean "no" because they use a winch, manual windlass when electric dies etc. which any sailboat can do, even a 20 footer.

I'm certainly not "macho," but I take my boat out by myself sometimes. Therefore I have to be able to get my anchor up by myself. I came up with my snatch block system after I had to leave one once. I was out there within a friend within 2 hours but it had already been snatched (I put a float on the brand new, double-braid, super-supple rode, which by the way, had only been used once before. OUCH!)

A couple of weeks ago I "couldn't be bothered" to put the snatch blocks on and tried to get a very hard-set anchor up by channeling my inner gorilla.

My inner gorilla was on vacation, and the sprained shoulder is still healing.

I do use an anchor roller. Does that count as "too much help?" I'm a great believer in using simple machines -- wheels, inclined planes, levers.
Old 21-04-2013, 07:07   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My grandfather had a 1,000 metric tonnes Rhine barge and already lifted his anchor by hand. No p#ssy electric windlass for him! As a child I saw my father always hand-raise the anchor while at the same time hoisting the sails (!!) and as I grew up, my arms developed sinewy muscles much like big bundles of Amsteel and I can lift my 176lb Bruce with one arm tied behind my back. *While* drinking a Cuba Libre!

Only on CF
Old 21-04-2013, 07:07   #81
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

chain stopper is what is built into many windlasses to prevent chain from running free.
serious cruisers who long term anchor in beautiful bouncy anchorages have the stuff for decent anchoring,including mechanisms that stop chain from running away and other fine tuning stuff. many also have sampson posts for securing these chain rodes to boat. many also use a bridle to snub the boat in bouncy seas to lessen the strain on the bow of the boat at anchor.

7 ft chain, eh? that is a lot of chain.....what size chain do you use.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 07:08   #82
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Wow. reading the responses for most (for us) light anchors, I can't imagine toughing out the handling of ground tackle by hand without a windlass. Our standard procedure as we have learned now is:
Start engine; increase rpm so charging is above min. Leave in neutral.
Lynn goes below deck to monitor and direct placement of chain below the hause-pipe.
I stand on at the deck switch and begin retrieval of the chain. Lynn makes sure it does not tangle in the locker.
I continue weighing anchor and use the deck wash to strip the mud from the chain.
When the anchor hits the surface I hail Lynn to return to the binnacle and take command.
I continue to hoist and stow the anchor until it is secure.

Our windlass has a wildcat on stbd and a rope gypsy on port. It is a dreadnaught that can retrieve (or wreck) anything. This appeals to me. My father told me a million years ago to always use the biggest d*** tool that would do the job. The modern version is don't take a knife to a gun fight. (don't take a Peakanese on a bear hunt).

That's a two-person system. What if she were injured or sick and couldn't help? what would you do then?
Old 21-04-2013, 07:11   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
That's pretty much how I am positioned when I do it. I also have a set of leather gloves to wear, since the worst part for me is the hand pain when doing it. Once you get a little forward momentum going, it's not bad.

Doing it with anything more then ten knots of wind, by myself, is a real job. I've always pulled that off (expecially on my boats without a windless) by putting the motor in forward gear, idling, and pulling in as much as I could before the boat veered off. Then snubbing the chain, and running back to take the motor out of gear. Then letting everything settle down, and repeating until done. Again, not fun, but doable.
Yeah, but if the wind kicks up to 20, that's a game of tag I've never won. By the time I get to the bow, the line has snugged up again.
Old 21-04-2013, 07:12   #84
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Exactly! I pull in my anchor with a sort of squat and then stand motion--squat and then stand. Use the legs. Work gloves help too. If it is blowing hard I can take a break by dropping the chain back onto the gypsy of my manual horizontal windlass--that's one advantage of a horizontal configuration. I haven't figured out anyway to rig a proper pawl that wouldn't ruin the fair lead

I sit on the back edge of the anchor locker with my feet on the upper corners (not in). I pull with arms and back, rocking back and forth. And, of course, gloves.
Old 21-04-2013, 07:15   #85
cruiser

Quote:
If feel sick to the stomach when I read how you all are trying to put yourselves in hospital. It is the same as pushing a boat off the dock: don't do it, just step back and think about what the bleep you're doing.

It is not only the hauling and heaving by hand, it is also the complete loss of control. When a big wind gust comes you might not be able to hold it and loose fingers when you try to put the rode around a cleat. When a big wave comes you might fall and be messed up by a chain running out or it pulls your hand through some fairlead or over a roller.

Don't take the risk. Install a windlass and maintain it. If it breaks, use a cockpit winch with a long enough line forward and a snubber to hold the chain when moving that line to further on the chain again. Always use something mechanical to take the load and work in a controlled way. An accident that needs stitching can be a hassle ashore but it can be your death out at sea. Protect yourself and your crew from injury as much as possible. Use every piece of equipment that you have to your advantage; out at sea there is enough that can go wrong: recognize that before it happens and correct it before it is too late and can be done in a controlled manner. That... the insight, is the core of good seamanship..

I don't have a problem with doing it by hand EXCEPT for the very real risk you pointed out to my fingers. I like all 8 of them. I've had them so long they seem like a part of me.

You clearly have thought this out a lot. Please explain this "snubber" to me. There won't be a windlass going on my boat, and that's a fact, but that doesn't mean I want to tell any fingers "bye-bye." I do have the sense to let go and just let the chain go back (the rode is already locked off), but letting the chain go to protect one's fingers gets downright annoying after about the fifth time ...
Old 21-04-2013, 07:17   #86
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
And when that breaks (the windlass, not the thumb)?

First the windlass and then the thumb if you're not careful!
Old 21-04-2013, 07:25   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Please explain this "snubber" to me. There won't be a windlass going on my boat, and that's a fact, but that doesn't mean I want to tell any fingers "bye-bye."
That is like defining an oxymoron perfectly. Without the windlass, your fingers are at (much) higher risk, period. No buts, no nothing to compensate for that. You do not know what a snubber is? Learn, you must do a lot, young Padawan

Use the search function and read read read

p.s. It's not me who came up with these ideas: it's the seamen over the past hundreds of years.
Old 21-04-2013, 07:25   #88
cruiser

Quote:
The reason you shouldn't go out cruising yet. Seriously, Google Maxwell chain stopper and get it. Or fabricate it from steel wire or Spectra etc.

That was unnecessary. Please tell me how many days I have spent on the water. Responses like that make it unsafe to ask questions here.

Would someone else care to explain to me in a little more detail about chain stoppers? In particular, where is it placed? How reliable it is? Is it safe to be used by oneself? Does someone else know of something that might work as well or better, even if differently? What would be wrong with just having a l steel post on the toe rail I could drop a chain link through to hold it?

I think if I'm smart enough to pick out two words from all that's been said here on this board just in the last week and realize it's important to it, maybe I CAN go out and cruise.

And, I don't care if someone thinks that was too defensive an answer. I asked about a serious safety issue and got a put-down and an incomplete answer in response.
Old 21-04-2013, 07:27   #89
cruiser

Quote:
That is like defining an oxymoron perfectly. Without the windlass, your fingers are at (much) higher risk, period. No buts, no nothing to compensate for that. You do not know what a snubber is? Learn, you must do a lot, young Padawan

Use the search function and read read read

p.s. It's not me who came up with these ideas: it's the seamen over the past hundreds of years.

Thanks so much. I don't care what you know. You'd rather be snarky than provide information. Buh-bye. Filter is a good thing sometimes.
Old 21-04-2013, 07:28   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That was unnecessary. Please tell me how many days I have spent on the water. Responses like that make it unsafe to ask questions here.

Would someone else care to explain to me in a little more detail about chain stoppers? In particular, where is it placed? How reliable it is? Is it safe to be used by oneself? Does someone else know of something that might work as well or better, even if differently? What would be wrong with just having a l steel post on the toe rail I could drop a chain link through to hold it?

I think if I'm smart enough to pick out two words from all that's been said here on this board just in the last week and realize it's important to it, maybe I CAN go out and cruise.

And, I don't care if someone thinks that was too defensive an answer. I asked about a serious safety issue and got a put-down and an incomplete answer in response.
You require personal response with the info you need instead of using Google to get it yourself? How much will you pay for that? All this is on the forum, learn to use the search functions; people, incl. me have written long detailed explanations countless times; we have provided the info, for free.

Tags
anchor