Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: can you lift your anchor by hand from 30ft of water
Yes 115 87.12%
No 17 12.88%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2013, 09:47   #31

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: hand raising your anchor

I voted No, assuming by hand didn't include using a manual winch.
Old 29-03-2013, 09:54   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I voted No, assuming by hand didn't include using a manual winch.
Apparently, we're not very macho by voting "no" while most who vote "yes" actually mean "no" because they use a winch, manual windlass when electric dies etc. which any sailboat can do, even a 20 footer.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 10:00   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: hand raising your anchor

I've always hauled my anchors hand over hand on my boats regardless of winches... biggest was a Hunter 37... keeps the top half in shape.
Even had a go on a 54ftr last year in Panama (30ft) on a calm day out of interest and decided to stick to max 37ftrs...
personally..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 10:21   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannobee View Post
I have a powerboat which currently doesn't have a windlass, but I do use the boat to scuba dive. Part of the ritual is, at the end of the dive and just before ascending up the anchor line, is to attach a lift bag to the anchor. Then it gets inflated with just enough air to get the anchor and a few feet of chain off of the bottom (30 ft of chain). As I start pulling the rode in, the lift bag's air will expand more, floating the anchor, chain, and rode to the surface. Easy Peasy.

One could keep one tank and scuba gear and a lift bag to descend down the anchor line to free the anchor if fouled and attach a lift bag to raise the anchor if in a pinch.
Great suggestion! I expect the Brownie will work too.

I voted NO, sticking to the letter of the poll. Our primary is 120 # and the chain is 7/16 G4. I can pull in slack chain by hand but it is a back-breaker. The windlass has a manual over-ride that allows a cheater bar to wind in the chain. This is really slow and I think not practical unless calm. I could also use a chain grab hook or prussik to attach a line for retrieval by using a cockpit winch.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 10:42   #35
Marine Service Provider

I vote yes, and Everyone can vote yes once they are prepared.

My chain is 3/8 by 300 feet with a 70lb anchor.

This how to be prepared for a windlass failure.

1. Need one inflatable buoy sized to float the weight of the anchor plus a margin of 25%.

2. Large diameter shackle.

Now when ever the windlass fails, inflate the buoy pass the anchor rode through shackle, connect it to the buoy, then deploy over board. Then slowly motor over the the anchor to tip it, swing the boat to back down, continue backing down until the anchor is lifted to the buoy. It helps to have a second hand bring the rode aboard, but can be done single handed.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 12:10   #36

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I voted Yes, Because I dont have an anchor windlass, Its pull it up by hand, or cut it off and leave it there,

34 foot of water in Lautoka, I pulled my Danforth and 5/16th chain and anchor up for the first time,
WOW, what a back breaker, I didnt know I had two 3/4 inch cables hanging off the end of it, Scrap cables that some fisherman has dumped over board, and dirty water, so I couldnt see it,

3 feet at a time, cleat it off and get my breath back, I could not believe this anchor was so heavy, I used the hand windlass on the mast to lift it a fair way, But not sure at the time whether you can use the mast windlass in this fashion to lift the anchor, But it had to come up, It was getting dark and I had to get out of Fiji,
I had done about 5 miles by the time I got it up enough to see the cables on the hook, I climbed over the side and kicked them off the Hook,
It was easy after that, That was the hardest lift, All the rest were easy to lift up, Danforth and the Bruce copy,
I am a weight lifter, Being an Engineering Blacksmith and Boilermaker, I have lifted steel weights all my life, So the lifting is not a problem for me,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 13:23   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
I vote yes, and Everyone can vote yes once they are prepared.

My chain is 3/8 by 300 feet with a 70lb anchor.

This how to be prepared for a windlass failure.

1. Need one inflatable buoy sized to float the weight of the anchor plus a margin of 25%.

2. Large diameter shackle.

Now when ever the windlass fails, inflate the buoy pass the anchor rode through shackle, connect it to the buoy, then deploy over board. Then slowly motor over the the anchor to tip it, swing the boat to back down, continue backing down until the anchor is lifted to the buoy. It helps to have a second hand bring the rode aboard, but can be done single handed.

Lloyd
you have actually tried this and found that it works?
seems like their is a flaw in your plan
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 13:26   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: hand raising your anchor

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 13:28   #39
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 13:42   #40

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitpik View Post
...A brand new Lofrans is sitting as an ornament in my guest bathroom at home, and I am looking at ways of installing that beauty!
Ah, now there's a sailer after my own heart - marine parts stored in the bathroom at home. Wife got very impatient with the new bow hatch stored in the bedroom so I had to move it to storage until spring.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 14:02   #41

Boat: C&C 38'

We have never had a windless. We have a 30 lb Danforth and 35 ft. of 3/8 chain and 3/4 rode. I have pulled it up by hand every time I have weighed anchor except once. That time I was fouled on a big cable. Bent the anchor! I finally started wearing gloves.
The deepest I ever pulled it up was 123 ft. I had to rest about every 20 ft. Getting old!
Old 29-03-2013, 14:44   #42

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

I don't have a windlass, electric or otherwise. I'd love one, but it'd cost more than my boat is worth. 25LB CQR, 20ft of 1/2 chain, 15ft of 5/16 chain, plus about 350ft of 5/8 nylon. Cockpit anchor is a 25LB Danforth, 10ft of 5/16 chain and 200ft of 1/2" nylon. Retrieval isn't my favorite part of the trip, but I haven't really had any trouble with it as of yet. The worst part is that the anchor usually comes up with an extra 20lbs of black sticky/oily mud that horror movies are made of.
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 15:32   #43

I don't have a choice, my windlass is a manual and the actual crank takes tooooo long, so I normally just heave ho.. Even when it's full of 50lbs of mud and grass.. sucks but keeps me fit though...
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 16:56   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Wow. reading the responses for most (for us) light anchors, I can't imagine toughing out the handling of ground tackle by hand without a windlass. Our standard procedure as we have learned now is:
Start engine; increase rpm so charging is above min. Leave in neutral.
Lynn goes below deck to monitor and direct placement of chain below the hause-pipe.
I stand on at the deck switch and begin retrieval of the chain. Lynn makes sure it does not tangle in the locker.
I continue weighing anchor and use the deck wash to strip the mud from the chain.
When the anchor hits the surface I hail Lynn to return to the binnacle and take command.
I continue to hoist and stow the anchor until it is secure.

Our windlass has a wildcat on stbd and a rope gypsy on port. It is a dreadnaught that can retrieve (or wreck) anything. This appeals to me. My father told me a million years ago to always use the biggest d*** tool that would do the job. The modern version is don't take a knife to a gun fight. (don't take a Peakanese on a bear hunt).
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 17:33   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you have actually tried this and found that it works?
seems like their is a flaw in your plan
I use it about 5-6 times a year, that's how I raise my stern anchor when deployed. I have also used this technique to raise crab and prawn traps.

I first learned of this in the late 60's, when as a kid I had to hand pull my traps, the prawn traps are down 3-400 feet. I was just about to give up setting traps, because it was so much work to pull em. That's when Walt an old guy my parents purchased our marina from, said here is how I do it.

I have a copy of a 1930's Yachting Magazine with an how to editorial on this very topic.

As a matter of fact I just looked in the current Fisheries Supply catalog they list an Anchor Ring retrieving System rated at an 80lb anchor

FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor