Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 09:30   #1

Boat: Oyster 66
Do I need a new gen anchor?

I apologise as I realise I am inviting scorn for having inferior kit. I have a Lewmar CQR 105#.

It is oversized on the Lewmar spec sheet a little for my large 40ton boat.

Once dug in and tested with a good bit of reverse I have never dragged. Getting set is less certain, maybe one in 5 drops requires a re-set.

A change to a new gen anchor is not easy because of fitting issues and conflict with my bowsprit. I could make it work though.

I can see a really good argument for having oversized anchors when you have a 20# anchor as such a light anchor will struggle to penetrate the sand and weed, but with 105# penetrating shouldn't be a problem.

Do I need one?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 09:45   #2

Re: Do I need a new gen anchor?

If what you have is working I guess you dont. Not setting one of five times would be a PITA though... and that is my only gripe about CQR's... I had much the same experience. Even a Delta would solve that immediately.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 11:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If what you have is working I guess you dont. Not setting one of five times would be a PITA though... and that is my only gripe about CQR's... I had much the same experience. Even a Delta would solve that immediately.
Yes, it's a bit annoying. That is a reason why I am thinking about it, also reading of the enthusiasm of people who own them. Current conditions are mostly sand. Mud is a lot better.
Old 23-02-2014, 12:05   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

A newer gen anchor might change your non-set rate from 1 in 5 to 1 in 30 or 50 times. That would be enough for me to want to change. You do not need a roll-bar anchor, so fitting the anchor might not be as tough as you think. Look at the Spade style.
Old 23-02-2014, 12:37   #5

Boat: 48' steel cutter

It ain't broke, it fits your roller, keep it.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 13:15   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

I can vouch for the Spade anchor. Love that thing and so does my wife, who can sleep at night now..
Old 23-02-2014, 13:45   #7

Boat: Oyster 53

We also switched to a Spade (110#) from the dreaded CQR and noticed a big difference. The Spade sets right away as most of the weight of the anchor is in the tip allowing it to dig right into the bottom. Holding power is excellent as well.

It is great now at night being able to sleep with both eyes closed.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 23-02-2014, 13:51   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Same issues on our boat. I bought a Rocna but the roll bar interferes with the bow pulpit.
Has anyone heard of cutting off the roll bar? Looks like a spade without it.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 14:17   #9

Boat: Prout 46

My first boat came equipped with a CQR anchor. It was a 46 foot monohull. Since I had never sailed nor owned a boat before, I thought all the trouble I was having setting the anchor was due to my lack of experience. After a few years of dragging that anchor around, I replaced it with a Delta. Boy what a difference! I had gotten used to slowly, ever so slowly, backing down and babying the CQR, hoping that it would set eventually. Imagine my surprise when the Delta set after the first try. Before the Delta, I just figured anchoring was a enigmatic art that was part science, part finesse, and part luck, made all the more mysterious by the cold, dark waters of the PNW.
Fast forward to the boat I have now. It came equipped with a CQR as well. A few years had passed since my first CQR experience, so like child birth I must have forgotten what a pain that anchor was. I ended up dragging that anchor all over the Bahamas. But this time because of the warm, clear water, I was able to dive on the anchor and the veil of secrecy was lifted and the mystery was revealed. It's A Plow!
It plowed long straight furrows as well as gently curving ones, stretching many feet beyond my boat length. It turned the pristine white sandy bottom into what looked to be a well prepared underwater field ready to be seeded and planted. In my mind I imagined rows upon rows of baby sea urchins, or colorful soft coral waving in the current like rows of corn rustling in the breeze. I Had A Revelation! I realized I wanted an anchor, not a plow. As soon as I got back from my cruise, I took my CQR to the marine exchange and bought a Spade on Craigslist.
Now my anchor immediately sets where it is dropped as it should, and the undersea world remains quiet and undisturbed, and pristine again. All is right with the world.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 14:37   #10

There are millions of anchor discussions.

99% of them significantly question CQRs and recommend new gen anchors.

They ARE new generation for a good reason.

All it takes is reading any two anchor topics! Really...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 15:43   #11

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

As Ive said before, The only GOOD use for a CQR is for makeing sculptures from ! or for makeing mail box stands!! Just my 2 cents
Old 23-02-2014, 16:04   #12

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

From North Carolina to the Jumentos, the only place my CQR has failed to set and hold is in hard marl at Morgans Bluff and in heavy grass in some places in the Abacos.

45# CQR, all chain, about 18 Tons. And it fits my bow roller.

YMMV
Old 23-02-2014, 16:12   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
We also switched to a Spade (110#) from the dreaded CQR and noticed a big difference. The Spade sets right away as most of the weight of the anchor is in the tip allowing it to dig right into the bottom. Holding power is excellent as well.

It is great now at night being able to sleep with both eyes closed.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Same here! I can't even count the number of times I've dragged a CQR anchor. I got used to sleeping with one eye open -- my psyche has been permanently damaged () by that horrible device. I've never dragged a Spade in more than a decade of use on two different boats. Not once!

I don't feel bad about telling you bluntly that your anchor is inferior kit, since you own my dream boat -- the Holman & Pye Oyster 66 -- floating sex!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 16:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
A newer gen anchor might change your non-set rate from 1 in 5 to 1 in 30 or 50 times. That would be enough for me to want to change. You do not need a roll-bar anchor, so fitting the anchor might not be as tough as you think. Look at the Spade style.
That's a massive improvement in setting first time, which is really nice. Never coming unstuck is essential.

I looked at the Spade and made a model and whilst the absence of the roll bar is good, it doesn't sit on the rollers neatly. Would need extra weldments and tying down.
Old 23-02-2014, 16:17   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
That's a massive improvement in setting first time, which is really nice. Never coming unstuck is essential.

I looked at the Spade and made a model and whilst the absence of the roll bar is good, it doesn't sit on the rollers neatly. Would need extra weldments and tying down.
You should try a real one before modifying your bow roller. Spades fit 97%* of all bow rollers designed for CQR's. And even if you have to modify it, well worth it!

* Did you know that 97.3% of all statistics are just made up?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor