Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2017, 17:30   #16

Re: Diving on anchor

I know this is a dead thread but I figured I'd ask here opposed to starting a new one.

Is there anything you can do for an anchor besides being topside with an engine and backing down it deeper in?

What I mean is there anything you can do with a scuba tank and a shovel to help the anchorage? Could you dig a hole or something? Or anything else?

Thanks!
DewTheDewDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 18:32   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

No shovel or SCUBA needed if in clear shallow water. Just dive on it (snorkel) and set it by hand. This usually consists of shifting it a bit so flukes have a better angle of attack and working it into the bottom a bit. Then maybe stay put and watch how it sets as someone aboard backs down gentley.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 18:42   #18

Cool thank you!

I was actually thinking of it more in terms of servicing. I work in a harbor and was wondering if there is a side gig opportunity I can get on.

I.e. charging people to check anchors and solidify there holding. Guess not though. If anyone sees an opportunity let me know!
DewTheDewDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 21:06   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDewDude View Post
Cool thank you!

I was actually thinking of it more in terms of servicing. I work in a harbor and was wondering if there is a side gig opportunity I can get on.

I.e. charging people to check anchors and solidify there holding. Guess not though. If anyone sees an opportunity let me know!
Interesting but what if their anchor drags after you have checked it and they go aground? Is that your responsibility then?

How about just dive and take photos of their anchor, but don't touch it?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 23:22   #20

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Cool thank you!

I wouldn't mess with anchors, too much liability. We've got a couple of boats selling ice cream at our local anchorages and I saw a video of a couple making pizzas on their boat in the Caribbean so food's always an opportunity but there would be some start up costs. Scrubbing boat bottoms is another one but you'd need a scuba or hookah rig. Offering to go up masts is a possibility but you'd need a mast climbing rig. If you have varnishing experience that might be another opportunity. If you have a fast boat you could be a marine Uber driver. Did I just invent that?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 23:38   #21

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

This is more of a question for the experienced than a statement.

I've never really understood the purpose of diving on an anchor.

You can only check it is Ok until the end of that tide or a wind change. If it turns it has to re-set without you backing up on it.
Old 24-08-2017, 03:14   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post

You can only check it is Ok until the end of that tide or a wind change. If it turns it has to re-set without you backing up on it.
Some designs of anchor will veer without pulling out of the bottom. So, if they are set well the first time there is no need to reset again.
Old 24-08-2017, 15:11   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dave S,

Take a look at noelex's thread, Photos of Anchors Setting. Some of the new generation anchors stay buried, 'shuffling around without coming out, to accommodate new wind directions. In our experience, it is very rare to come un-stuck just from a change from flood to ebb, even north of here, where the swings are larger. If you have been, might it be due to short scope? I could imagine you might try to minimize your swinging circle, but you really need at least 3:1 scope, all chain rode, with a new generation anchor.

Ann
Old 24-08-2017, 16:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post

If you're going to swim anyway why not check:

- anchor not set in grass
- chain not fouled or hung on fluke (shouldn't be but ...)
- not over top of another yacht's chain
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 20:53   #25

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I don't usually dive on mine except for entertainment or unless I have doubts about it. Not so much how it is set, I can feel that, but if it is in rocks or fouled one something I will need to clip on a trip line to have any shot at saving my anchor, chain and rode. It's been many years since I have had to do that but the older I get, the shallower I anchor... I can't hold my breath that long anymore!!!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 22:06   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Cool thank you!

How about scraping/cleaning the bottom of the boat and prop while you're down there?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 04:36   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I don't usually dive on mine except for entertainment or unless I have doubts about it. Not so much how it is set, I can feel that, but if it is in rocks or fouled one something I will need to clip on a trip line to have any shot at saving my anchor, chain and rode. It's been many years since I have had to do that but the older I get, the shallower I anchor... I can't hold my breath that long anymore!!![emoji2]
Here in the Tropics and on a shallow draft cat, I almost always dive mine. Its a good excuse to go for a swim and I feel better knowing how its set. My favorite set is to just see the chain disappearing into sand...no part of anchor visible. 😆

We also have hand signals so that I can have the Admiral back down while I watch the set of the hook.

Tags
anchor, diving