Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2006, 00:46   #16
Marine Service Provider

Arrow Sizing and Rocna Copy

* dual post - deleted *
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2006, 01:16   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
You have made some good points Craig.
I think it fair that I should suggest that my copy differs enough from Craigs, that I should not have suggested it was anything like a Rocna in the first place. If I ever do have a failure, I don't want the possibility that it could give Craigs product a bad name. I must say, that so far mine is working just fine. I am more than pleased. But should it not work at any stage, then that should in no way reflect negatively on Craigs Rocna.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 00:29   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
TECHNIQUE

Anchoring is always a tough subject. If a guy put out an engine block and it held, he would swear by it for life. I guess it is run what you brung. I feel anchoring technique is far more important than anchor type. Typically I set my CQR 45 7:1, all chain and snub it up tight once with the engine in reverse. Then take up the chain to a 5:1. I have been through 2 days of 75mph winds in Half Moon bay when I stayed there and never budged while a tug screamed by me...sleepless in 1/2Moonbay. I have different techniques if I am leaving the vessel for a few days as well if I am anchoring for lunch and staying on board. Hope all this helps
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 04:57   #19
cruiser

Yeah, I think you're right in many ways, Celestial. Technique is very important, although some anchors are made to swivel, and others are not (Danforth). Years back, I had a small weekend boat with a Danforth. It didn't like changes in wind and current. It would unset more easily than the CQR while under load.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 08:23   #20

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Just shows you how we all have our favourites.
One of the UK Yachting Mags has just done yet another all encopassing test of most makes (not real Bruce as they are no longer made but used closest copy - Claw by Lewmar I think).

Wheels' Rocnor (spelling??) came out almost at the top, with a variety of other newer style designs around it. Delta / Danforth middling, and (this will shock you) the real CQR somewhat down the ratings.......

Appreciate fully such tests can be soooooo subjective but it read like they set it up OK, they tested each anchor several times, and did use full instrumentation to check holding loads etc.

Think it was Yachting World - worth reading.

JOHN

PS I use a Delta.
Old 20-11-2006, 08:24   #21

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
I have a CQR on my Jeanneau 49 in the BVI. Last time I was on it I had problems setting the anchor. It broke loose twice and dragged. The first time it dragged towards the shore, during the night. We didn't wake up; but luckily it caught again before grounding.
The second time a few nights later in Virgin Gorda we had a line squall come through during the night and the wind woke me up. Went on deck to find we were dragging. We had to start the engine and power over to a nearby dock until we were able to pick up a mooring ball.

I found out that the pin in the CQR caused the opening where the blades rotate, to be worn into an oval shape and not the perfect circle that fit the pin. It seems because it was oval it rested to one side and only one blade would dig in.

We had it changed to a Delta (fixed blades) and we also have a back up Bruce.

CHECK THE CQR ANCHORS FOR WEAR.

Sonny,
s/y NIRVANA, SO49
Tortola
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 08:31   #22
cruiser

Also, I guess CQR is just a subset of the "plow" style anchors designed to rotate about a point and reset easily. This is what I'm a huge fan of.
Old 20-11-2006, 08:59   #23

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
My CQR

I have a 35 pound CQR(real cqr) that came with my boat. The boat is 33' and weighs 4000lbs. I have had good luck with the anchor so far but am considering moving to a real bruce instead. I like the fact that there are no moving parts. Just my thoughts.
Tristan
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 13:37   #24
cruiser

Wow! I would imagine at 4000 lbs and a 33' boat you have EXCELLENT results. Our 35' real CQR also will hold our 45', 26,000lb boat with cockpit enclosure in normal conditions.

(We also have the 45lb'er, which is suggested size for us.)
Old 20-11-2006, 13:56   #25

Shiva is 16K # and we have used mostly our 35#CQR from simpson lawrence with good results. A new anchor is on my list as the flukes are starting to rust! That anchor gets used!

Sean where are you parked these days?

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 14:03   #26
Eternal Member

Sonny,

I have sailed (and anchored) in the BVI since 1969, including 11 years when my 42' 27K displacement Perry sloop was based there. I have a 45lb CQR on 200' of G40 3/8" chain. This is my primary, and usually ONLY, anchor in use.

I have NEVER had that anchor drag, under any conditions, including a horrible night up against the beach in Saba when it blew 55 kts all night long (Christmas Winds).

You didn't say what size CQR you have, or what rode you're using. A 45lb CQR would be minimum for your boat; a 60lb would be better. And, of course, an all chain rode for use in the Virgins.

The trick with a CQR is to set it properly. Up into the wind with the anchor hanging over the bow above the water. Stop. Slowly gain sternway and let the chain out rather quickly until the anchor is near the bottom, then slowly without putting any strain on it.

When 3:1 scope is out, stop the windlass and let the boat swing to the anchor. Veer a bit more chain. Let the boat swing to the anchor. When you have 5:1 scope out, SLOWLY back down using the engine. You'll feel it dig in. Don't try to pull it out with the engine. Wait a few hours.

When you next happen to have the engine running (often charging the batteries around dinnertime), put some more load on the chain by backing down.

When you're sure it's secure, rig the bridle(s) and sleep tight, knowing it's not gonna move no matter what.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 14:19   #27

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Just a question, I notice a lot of talk about CQR anchors here.

Are we actually talking CQR brand or just the type/ pattern of anchor.

We've had Manson plough anchors that most everyone refered to as a CQR.

We used a 35lb plough on 90' of chain with 100 foot of stretchy nylon on a 2500kg cat, may seem a bit excessive, but we have dragged on a few occasions with all of that out in 10 ft of water before.

That's a 19:1 scope., in 50knot bullets in hard sand, so may not have been dug in.

Dave
Old 20-11-2006, 15:21   #28
cruiser

We should be talking about real CQR (made in Scotland) brand anchors.

I set mine slightly differently from Bill and learned from the single time it didn't set for me. I was new to the anchor and this boat. I tried setting it like I used to set the old Danforth on my 30' boat, I tossed it over, let out scope and revved in reverse hard. It just floated around and never grabbed anything.

I found out that night that the right way is much like Bill suggests. I let nature set it every time now. I use current or wind. I head into the wind or current, drop over maybe 1/3 scope, and then wait for it to pull the all chain rode taught. After I see the initial tug, I then dump out as much scope as needed and often much more just because I'm lazy and I don't want to worry about it calcuating acurate scope.

When I see the chain go taught a 2nd time (with full scope out), I have my wife put the engine in reverse and give a little tug - unless it's blowing 15 or so. In that case, an engine isn't required at all. It always sets deeply on its own.

I think the little bit at the end where I dump out all the scope has something to do with it. When I dump the rest of the scope from the initial 1/3 or so, the boat drifts back quickly away from the anchor. When it's out of chain, it does something like a dog's leash and yanks hard on the anchor as it goes taught.

The thing I still like best though is it's ability to act like a mooring. I sit at anchor for weeks and the boat just spins around like it's on a mooring, never once dragging.

I remember once I said to Gord, "I don't know how I'll sleep at anchor." Thanks to this anchor, I sleep soundly every night. Now that I'm at a dock for the winter, I can't sleep. Go figure!

Jef- We're in just "down from NYC" to use the same terminology you have in your profile. Jersey.
Old 20-11-2006, 15:29   #29

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
CQR in Bahamas

We use a 60lb CQR w/200' of 3/8 chain to hold our 32k 42' sailboat. I sleep good at night!!! We have only drug one time, but when I set the anchor, I told my wife that it just didn't feel right. I should have reset.....my fault.

I do have a question about using our CQR in the Bahamas. I have read in several places that CQRs just don't hold well in the soft sand with hard packed sand a few inches below. Instead, the Fortress was highly recommended in those conditions. We have a FX37 w/30' chain, as our backup. Just wondering if we should make it our primary when we jump over to the Abacos.

Your thoughts/experiences.

Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 17:30   #30

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Just downloaded the video from ROCNA for a look. Interesting comparisons between anchoring types and the plough sliding across the suface was what I am used to seeing on the last boat and my mono before that, mind you both were Manson not CQR.

Figured I'd look seriously at the Rocna when buying for the newie, but freaked a bit when looking at the $$$ involved as we have left anchors behind before when anchoring out the reef.

Might have to have a rethink and see if there is a more affordable version, that won't break the bank if lost.

The Rocna style has won me though.

Dave

Tags
anchor, cqr