Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2003, 07:03   #1

Moorings

Say, any of you Great Lakes Sailors have info on the possibility of mooring a sailboat in the East side of Michigan? I'm at a loss here ! Don't know whether it's legal to do so, or if it's at all possible. Any locations North of Standish ? The cost - all that sorta thing. Most humble Doofus says thanks in advance !!
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2003, 11:31   #2
Scurvy Dog

anchor "mooring"

I did some research last year when I anchored out all summer in Holland, MI. I called the coast guard and asked about getting a mooring permit or registration, how would I go about it? They didn't know and didn't want to have anything to do with permitting or approval of moorings. I called the DNR and they hemmed and hawed and finally after talking to about a dozen people I was referred to the Army Corps of Engineers. When I studied the Army Corps site, my impression was that the Corps is only interested in permitting permanent moorings, and they are mostly interested in regulating or restricting moorings near commercial shipping channels.

I was willing to buy a big mushroom anchor and put a permanent mooring down if I could get a permit. But since none of the permitting agencies seemed to want to approve or enforce "moorings" I decided that nobody would be trying to stop me if I just put a mooring in.

However, Michigan ice is pretty tough on a bouy, so I thought about it for a while and decided to just put a very good oversize anchor rig out with a mooring ball and haul it at the end of the season. If it is not a permanent anchoring system, then it is not a mooring by the Army Corps definitions, it is an anchor.

I got a dusk to dawn switch for my anchor light, and a 30W solar panel to power the anchor light. My friend at the Coast Guard said that as long as you keep an anchor light on at night, you are legally anchored.

My anchor rig for a 28' boat was a 15lb Danforth attached to 50 foot of 1/4" chain attached to a 35 lb CQR attached to 100 foot of chain to a swivel and bouy, then two 3/4" pennants to my bow cleat. This was in excellent holding bottom, muddy clay.

I also got a season pass at the boat launch just down the way a bit. Whenever I wanted to go to my boat I trailered my dinghy to the boat launch and rowed it over to the big boat.

I liked this system a lot, although my wife would have preferred something a little easier. If I were doing it again this year I would get a 14' aluminum fishing boat and use that as my dinghy, and then move my anchorage out a little further away in a nice bay across the lake.

I bought a condo dock just a few blocks from my house and I will be at a slip this season. But if you are looking for cheap accomodation for your boat, I would recommend this method. Just oversize your anchor system and make sure you are not in the way of a lot of boat traffic.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2003, 18:11   #3

Thank You !

This sounds excellent. Sounds like you covered most of the Gov'ment channels, so to speak. One more question, if I may. Any problems with security. Did anyone mess with the boat while you were gone ? I'll be 30 - 40 miles away from the craft. Any suggestions from your experience ?
Old 22-05-2003, 20:39   #4

Thumbs up Moorings

On Mackinac Island there are permanent moorings put out by the Mackinac Yacht Club. On Drummond Island a friend of mine, put out her own mooring. She has no problems. In the Alpena paper the other day, there was a mooring for rent in Presque Isle Harbor. So moorings are okay and as far as I know, there are no permits required for recreational boaters. Like suggested before, an anchor light, and try to keep it out of busy channels, etc. The picture on this board of our boat "Fagel Atrraction II" is on a mooring in Presque Isle harbor. Just make sure you have good bottom for holding. I think it is in Chapman's about how to place three anchors for a mooring. That is how our boat was moored, by the previous owner. Fair Winds
Pearson Commander
Dragon V
Mariner 40 (wood ketch)
SailorLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2003, 21:03   #5
Scurvy Dog

Security

I had to move the boat twice because a barge spudded down a little too close for comfort. This was really partly my fault for anchoring between a construction yard and a jobsite. I could have found a better location.

I didn't lose anything, and had my outboard hanging off the end with just a very small lock holding it on.

I would probably add another anchor set out towards the SE to my set up if doing it again this year, maybe another 35 lb Delta. Extra insurance.

Around here slips go for about $2000 per year for my boat so I could easily justify the expense of the anchors, chain, dusk to dawn anchor light switch and solar panel.

Here's the switch I used: http://yandina.com/acrobats/ALSData.pdf

I think being on a mooring (anchor) is actually easier on the boat than being tied in a slip.

You will also have to have a good boarding ladder to make it safe to get from the dinghy into the boat.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2003, 21:09   #6

Once again , Thanks.

This info will be put to good use, I assure you. Now to get big anchors, mooring bouy,solar panels, etc. etc. West Marine is going to be VERY happy.
Old 15-12-2006, 17:48   #7

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Very cool. Could I do this anywhere? Meaning in the ocean. I live in a city and have been looking around for ways of getting a mooring but have been left high and dry by the all mighty interweb (the net). Can someone tell me what the deal is with getting a permanent mooring in a major american city? Do I have to sink my own? Do I rent one from someone? Is it a competitive market? Why is there such a dirth of resources on this sort of thing?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 20:04   #8
cruiser

I don't recall seeing this thread before. It's an old one. Anyway, moorings are typically controlled by your local harbormaster who, in turn, works for the town/municipality. I have never heard of anything like what people are describing above - dropping your own mooring without permission. The closer you are to a city, the more regulation you'll have. The harbormaster controls everything about the harbor. Just call one up for the city you're interested in and see what your options are.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 20:39   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Continued on the following link..........................._/)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ring-6190.html
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote