Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2020, 08:20   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
converting to hydraulic windlass with fuling system

My new boat has a hydraulic furling system for the main and genoa, but lines were run to a fitting in the chain locker for the cutter staysail, but never hooked up since the staysail is a line drum furling system. The electric windlass motor is mounted in the chain locker as well, and it works, but has a ton of surface corrosion. I imagine that it gets a lot of contact with seawater, especially in rough weather when the bow is diving under waves. I was thinking, that a hydraulic windlass may be more immune from surface contact with seawater, because I imagine that it is mostly a sealed unit. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to just use the unused staysail hookup for the furling system, and if that will provide enough power and flow for a windlass? Is a hydraulic windlass more robust in the face of getting doused by seawater occasionally, as well as being in the chain locker?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 09:06   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: converting to hydraulic windlass with fuling system

As long as you match the parameters (flow, etc.) you will be fine. A hydraulic windlass may or may not be more resistant to corrosion - all in the details of the design of the windlass (esp the coating).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 05:31   #3

Re: converting to hydraulic windlass with fuling system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
My new boat has a hydraulic furling system for the main and genoa, but lines were run to a fitting in the chain locker for the cutter staysail, but never hooked up since the staysail is a line drum furling system. The electric windlass motor is mounted in the chain locker as well, and it works, but has a ton of surface corrosion. I imagine that it gets a lot of contact with seawater, especially in rough weather when the bow is diving under waves. I was thinking, that a hydraulic windlass may be more immune from surface contact with seawater, because I imagine that it is mostly a sealed unit. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to just use the unused staysail hookup for the furling system, and if that will provide enough power and flow for a windlass? Is a hydraulic windlass more robust in the face of getting doused by seawater occasionally, as well as being in the chain locker?
Your winch will need a high flow rate

If you used low flow rate, momentary type power pack common to furlers for you anchor windlass it rotate slowly . This slow rate of retrieval means that your hydraulic power pack will run for a long time , overheat and shut down
The last hydraulic powered anchor winch I used had a dual motor, 2x3kw , power pack

This is a big piece of equipment and I gobbles enourmous power
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass