Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2009, 08:06   #16

Boat: none(fornow)
Just and update on this accident. The boat has been removed from the beach. I went down this morning, Saturday, and the boat is gone. There are obvious heavy equipment tire tracks leading down to where the boat was beached. So the vessels owner must have decided to pony-up some cash to have it removed, or the county removed it and will hold it until he pays the removal bill. The last time I was there to check on his progress was either Wednesday or Thursday. So it was removed sometime in the last two or three days.
kcmarcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 21:00   #17

If he was motorsailing, where are the sails? Incompetent people like this are responsible for a lot or our difficulties with insurance, etc.

I'd like to see Florida and other states permanently revoke their boat registrations. Force them to put their boats on the hard and sell them, since they won't be able to use them.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 22:49   #18

It really makes me realize how lucky I was (and probably still am). There are dozens of times when I did some pretty stupid stuff and got away without incident. Nothing quite that stupid, but pretty stupid.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:32   #19

I just assume that he had the sails stowed below deck, unless he bought the boat without sails, which seems silly in that he paid $12,000 for the boat which seem a bit on the pricey side to me.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
I'd like to see Florida and other states permanently revoke their boat registrations. Force them to put their boats on the hard and sell them, since they won't be able to use them.
If that were done it would get rid of 90% of the powerboaters and 50%, perhaps more, of the sailboaters as well. Which would be a great idea unless you, or I, happened to be one of the "excluded", in which case not so much. Fundamentally I like the idea though.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:44   #21

I don't know if I would say go so far as revoking their registrations, but stricter enforcement and a "just plain stupid" law, a law that would allow someone to be ticketed and have to go to an "ocean traffic court" where a judge could decide if the action was stupid and then render a sentence, I'm thinking of like some sort of oceanic community service.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:25   #22

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
I was thining more like a Public Flogging!
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:22   #23

That might be suitable in some instances. I think the flogging would be reserved for the power boat craziness that is pretty common here in power boat capital of the world. I have seen and read about some seriously reckless behavior in power boats here in the Florida waters.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:28   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarcet View Post
I don't know if I would say go so far as revoking their registrations, but stricter enforcement and a "just plain stupid" law, a law that would allow someone to be ticketed and have to go to an "ocean traffic court" where a judge could decide if the action was stupid and then render a sentence, I'm thinking of like some sort of oceanic community service.
- - Unfortunately being "stupid" is protected by the constitution according to the Supreme Court. Which is why public schools have to teach "down" to the stupidest kid. And "smart kids" cannot be in classes separate from "stupid" kids in public schools.
- - I have long been an advocate of such a "stupidity law" and/or "individual responsibility" law. Take a test and pass it and then you could "opt out" of all the laws and regulations passed requiring governments to protect you from yourself.
- - And think how empty Washington, D.C. would be if such laws were passed.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 13:54   #25

You can't fix stupid....
rgillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 14:34   #26

Boat: Cascade
Maybe these guys came down...
Old 04-11-2009, 14:50   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
I can't believe that is the best way to get that boat off the beach. Least costly, perhaps, but what about all those fiberglass shards left behind in the sand, among other things?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, anchor, anchoring