Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2015, 12:25   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Anchor Recommendations

I need a recommendation for an anchor for our 22' O'day monohull. I really have no idea where to start. The last owner could have cared less, and put an undersized anchor on it .. tied to a rope, of sorts just to get the boat sold. It's just sort of sitting on the bow of the boat.. (getting in the way!)

So, what I'm looking for is an anchor recommendation as well as a mounting suggestion. Most of the boats in our marina have the anchor mounted so that they hang neatly off the railings at the pulpit.

If it helps... we sail on Lake Carlyle, IL. That lake was created by damming up a river. The bottom is mostly silt, and the lake isn't very deep. Most of the areas where we would be anchoring would be close to 10' deep or so...

I'm happy to answer other questions if you think that would help....

Look forward to the help!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 12:34   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Anchor Recommendations

in a silt or mud bottom, a flute type anchor works the best for the money.. Danforth, and Fortress are a couple of examples.. on your boat, you can purchase a bracket the flute type anchor will hang from the pulpit......
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 13:04   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
in a silt or mud bottom, a flute type anchor works the best for the money.. Danforth, and Fortress are a couple of examples.. on your boat, you can purchase a bracket the flute type anchor will hang from the pulpit......

That's "fluke"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 13:09   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I need a recommendation for an anchor for our 22' O'day monohull. I really have no idea where to start. The last owner could have cared less, and put an undersized anchor on it .. tied to a rope, of sorts just to get the boat sold. It's just sort of sitting on the bow of the boat.. (getting in the way!)

So, what I'm looking for is an anchor recommendation as well as a mounting suggestion. Most of the boats in our marina have the anchor mounted so that they hang neatly off the railings at the pulpit.

If it helps... we sail on Lake Carlyle, IL. That lake was created by damming up a river. The bottom is mostly silt, and the lake isn't very deep. Most of the areas where we would be anchoring would be close to 10' deep or so...

You best bet would be to talk to other boaters at your marina and use what they use. They will know what works in your area. Same thing for how to store the anchor.
Old 28-02-2015, 13:34   #5

Quote:

No Idea what conditions you will encounter on that manmade lake, yet should you regularly face long-fetch high-wind conditions, don't be afraid to oversize a bit. Doesn't appear that you'll be rounding Cape Horn anytime soon, yet regardless, Skip Novak has some anchoring advice that can be found here:

He uses 1 105lb CQR with 100 meters of 12mm chain. Overkill for your needs, probably, yet some good tips to learn.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 13:57   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
He uses 1 105lb CQR with 100 meters of 12mm chain. Overkill for your needs, probably, yet some good tips to learn.
Good grief, mate, what are you on about?

The OP is asking about anchoring a 22 foot trailer-sailor in a small, shallow lake...

for Scarlet: without going into too much controversy about "best" and "storm anchoring" etc, I can tell your from considerable experience some years ago with a Catalina 22 in SF Bay and the channel islands, that a Danforth style anchor of around 13-15 lbs coupled to around 15 feet of 1/4 or 5/16 chain and 100 feet of 3/8 inch line, likely three strand nylon will see you through the worst that you will ever encounter on the lake. That gear will be easy to manage by hand and without a good bow roller (though that will make your life easier if you have it). It will be inexpensive and easy to source. Anything much larger or more expensive will be wasted money and/or effort in retrieval.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 28-02-2015, 14:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
"what are you on about?"
Is that English? Where's your port of registry? It's certainly not anywhere north of Kittery.

Met an Irish guy who was visiting Boston back in the mid '80s, and couldn't understand one word he said. After we shook hands I said "Is that English?"

I mentioned to the OP that Skip's gear was overkill. Just wanted her to know how to anchor correctly.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 15:26   #8

I would but a fortress fx-11 with 20 feet of 1/4 inch chain and 100 feet of 3/8 inch Sampson super strong line. You will also need 2 1/4 inch shakles to attach it all.

To store it get one of the windline rail mount anchor brackets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 15:36   #9

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

For your boat & conditions, I give a hearty 2nd, amen, and/or ditto to a danforth. It's lightweight and should be perfect for a small boat on a silt/mud bottom.

FWIW I had a C22 followed by a C27 for 16 years on our local inland lake (same bottom as yours). The danforth was perfect - not one slip, ever- despite heavy storms that would blow through at night. On the C22 we'd just stow it in the lazarette and whip it out when time came to anchor.

Cheers

- Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Good grief, mate, what are you on about?

The OP is asking about anchoring a 22 foot trailer-sailor in a small, shallow lake...

for Scarlet: without going into too much controversy about "best" and "storm anchoring" etc, I can tell your from considerable experience some years ago with a Catalina 22 in SF Bay and the channel islands, that a Danforth style anchor of around 13-15 lbs coupled to around 15 feet of 1/4 or 5/16 chain and 100 feet of 3/8 inch line, likely three strand nylon will see you through the worst that you will ever encounter on the lake. That gear will be easy to manage by hand and without a good bow roller (though that will make your life easier if you have it). It will be inexpensive and easy to source. Anything much larger or more expensive will be wasted money and/or effort in retrieval.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 15:37   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Do you sleep on board?

If you're not sleeping on it, then you really just need a lunch hook anyway, and whatever you have is probably ok.

If you are sleeping at anchor and want something more secure, then Fortress is the way to go for that kind of boat and conditions. The big advantage of the Fortress is that it is extremely light for its holding power and very easy to set. It's disadvantages are not really applicable to your use. You can get brackets for it so you can keep in your pulpit and just toss it over.

You'll want a chain leader (10' or so) and 100 feet of nylon octoplait rope and you'll be good to go.

Good luck.

Good luck.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 16:32   #11

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That's "fluke"
you're right and sometimes my fingers work faster than my brain......
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

You'll want a chain leader (10' or so) and 100 feet of nylon octoplait rope and you'll be good to go.
Let me preface this by saying I'm a new sailor with only one season under my belt. So... can you explain why I need both a chain, and a rope? I'm assuming they get attached end to end... right? so, which one gets attached to the anchor?
Old 01-03-2015, 08:19   #13

Quote:
Let me preface this by saying I'm a new sailor with only one season under my belt. So... can you explain why I need both a chain, and a rope? I'm assuming they get attached end to end... right? so, which one gets attached to the anchor?
The chain gets attached to the anchor, then the line to the chain. The chain adds weight and helps to keep the pull on the anchor more horizontal so it will hold better.

You would do well to buy yourself a copy of the book "Chapman Piloting" and study up on anchoring and other boating topics. There's no way you can ask all the right questions on a boating forum.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

You would do well to buy yourself a copy of the book "Chapman Piloting" and study up on anchoring and other boating topics. There's no way you can ask all the right questions on a boating forum.
AHHH.. thank you for the book recommendation! I've been devouring just about everything I can get my hands on. And that would be a good resource book to keep on hand as well...
Old 01-03-2015, 08:58   #15

Quote:
AHHH.. thank you for the book recommendation! I've been devouring just about everything I can get my hands on. And that would be a good resource book to keep on hand as well...
You're welcome. Chapman explains the concept of anchoring very well. Knowing how and why something works makes it a lot easier.

Tags
anchor, men