Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2020, 10:04   #211

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Anchor choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
It's a Fx16. I know I'm not able to set it well because of the prop walk. It's like others have said, it's a limitation of the design. There are several. I dont want to come across as trashing a Fortress because it's a great anchor in the right conditions.

How does your prop walk prevent deeper setting?

-Chris
Old 31-05-2020, 10:12   #212

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
A good kedge anchor is essential, obviously even more so when engineless. But when engineless and overnight anchoring did you routinely prefer using one anchor or two and why?
I guess I wasn't clear - no, I would never overnight anchor when engineless. We would move to another location and set up permanently. Sometimes only with one forward anchor, but then we would have an anchor off each quarter, with at least one of them set in a way that would prevent us from getting into trouble if the main one failed.
When arriving in a new location I would always set two anchors from the bow, and then scout the area for possible ways to set up a mooring, then moor with an anchor off each quarter. Occasionally that was not possible and I would have two anchors off the bow and one off a quarter to stop us spinning 360 degrees (In the Canary Islands the leeward sides of the islands experience a full 360 degree shift in the wind almost everyday).
Old 31-05-2020, 10:19   #213

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
How does your prop walk prevent deeper setting?

-Chris

Prop-walk does present some problems setting the anchor. Anchors ideally like to set in a straight line so the gradual curve in direction that can be the result of prop walk in light wind conditions is less than ideal. This especially applies to the Fortress anchor which sometimes develops a high list as the direction of force changes.

However, most anchors are not very fussy. The most difficult time is when the anchor is just starting to dig in. This ideally needs to be done slowly and progressively, but once past this initial stage any good primary anchor will simply dig deeper with more force
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 10:37   #214

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
I guess I wasn't clear - no, I would never overnight anchor when engineless. We would move to another location and set up permanently.
Yes, if you want to stay in one place for a long time then setting up a mooring is an option worth considering. This requires heavy weight, multiple anchors or a combination of these factors. Personally, I prefer to keep moving and a good single anchor is my preferred solution most of the time.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 10:40   #215

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Yes, if you want to stay in one place for a long time then setting up a mooring is an option worth considering. This requires heavy weight, multiple anchors or a combination of these factors. Personally, I prefer to keep moving and a good single anchor is my preferred solution most of the time.
I agree, but with our funds being eaten up by the engine problems we had to make do with the 16kg CQR. Although it was the recommended size, I still didn't trust it for the occasional freak conditions that can occur on the leeward side of mountainous islands. That situation has now been rectified with our big fortress.

Tags
anchor